+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Wow, grats

All of this sounds great. Feels like I've been too far away from the DnD scene lately. Inching to get back, but who knows how I will go about it.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

You can get audio recordings of the seminars here by the way:

http://thetome.podbean.com/

I need to listen to the QA and DM ones since I was busy at game tables during those.

Just curious, but how does one actually become a DM for a D&D Encounters event?

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Find a local store that hosts the games, show up on Wednesdays. That's really it. You may be able to coordinate with the store to get adventure materials ahead of time so you can prepare a whole season, but that varies by location.

In-fucking-credible lol

After losing the case, Singer took it to appeal. There, an expert on prison gangs argued not only that having a Dungeon Master issue direction to other players “mimics the organization of a gang”, but that the game encourages players to become obsessed with mentally escaping the restrictions of prison life, which could threaten “the safety and security of the institution.”
    http://current.com/news/92940668_dun...n-security.htm

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

there’s even a risk of “D&D players looking to Dungeon Masters, rather than to the prison’s own carefully constructed hierarchy of authority, for guidance and dispute resolution.”
    1990 called, they want their poorly misconstrued knee-jerk notions back.

The whole thing is retarded, but the guy represented himself which certainly didn't help his case. Lawyers and judges only ever seem to think in their own terms, so layman's explanations probably just sound like so much noise. Were he to get someone who would actually represent him in the matter professionally, he might be able to form a viable defense.

Well... the man IS in prison. Can't ask too much from his court expertise.

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Encounters Session 17

No audio, forgot

7 players, woooooo. Love seeing new blood, especially right now since I know some of the current players won't be around next season; new blood means we should still have a functioning table!

The whole session was a total blast. The encounter was absolutely brutal to the players though, with an Elite Brute and three level 6 Leaders, plus 26(!) Minions. I managed to get both defenders (Cavalier and Warden), the Warpriest, and the Thief into negative hp, thanks in no small part to the wonderful power the Elite had that allowed him to shift 12(!) squares, through enemy spaces, and make an attack against every enemy whose space he comes into contact with for something like 3d6+7. I think there was only one, maybe two people in the party who were completely out of range. One of the defenders survived it but I got him next round with a double attack I crit a lot too which didn't help their case.

Of course, this was their own fault; I gave them every hint possible to make their lives easier, between the terrain features that would have pinned the Elite to the ground and the Insight knowledge that told them about the fact that the Leader monsters were controlling the Elite, and if they were to die the Elite would potentially just flee from danger. I have no remorse.

All the players said they had a really good time, so I'm really happy with it. My only quibble is that we're hoping to catch up to the official schedule by running sessions doubletime since we usually finish very quickly(50-75 minutes tops and we have 120)...but this combat took most of the evening. We got started late, but it was still a long combat. Hopefully next week we can make up ground. I think I'm going to start applying a "+1 if you're ready" boon at the table to encourage folks to move a little faster; if you're ready to go and immediately launch into your actions when your turn comes up, then you get a +1 to use on any die roll that turn. Less time hem-hawing means more time making magic happen.

Can't wait for next week.

Unrelated to Encounters, I've also been asked to DM a Scales of War campaign for some folks (some of them at Encounters, others acquaintances of theirs, others still just more RPGA friends); it's going to pick up in the mid-paragon levels I think, should be fun. Might be running as soon as next month, I should probably start reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post

The whole thing is retarded, but the guy represented himself which certainly didn't help his case. Lawyers and judges only ever seem to think in their own terms, so layman's explanations probably just sound like so much noise. Were he to get someone who would actually represent him in the matter professionally, he might be able to form a viable defense.
    All I thought of when I read that article is

You now find yourself in a prison. Quick! Roll a saving throw to see if you get anal raped!

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post

It’s unfortunate, especially the way it sounded like some other “inmate” just wanted to ruin their game play. While it certainly didn’t help that he did this pro se (no real resources, i.e. no expert testimony of his own, and limited understanding of the legal standards), it’s unlikely that professional representation would have helped (the difficulty of securing one in his position aside).

Though, motions for summary judgment are not easy to win, it’s not likely that even professional representation would have defeated this motion for summary judgment. He just didn’t have a case as a matter of law. I wonder how he even survived the motion to dismiss. (I’d guess the prison probably didn’t make one)

The courts generally give great deference to the political branches on matters of policy, depending, or stay out of it all together. As the relevant portions of the opinion in this case indicates:

"In Turner, the Supreme Court determined that prison regulations that restrict inmates’ constitutional rights are nevertheless valid if they are reasonably related to legitimate penological interests. Id. Inmates like Singer who challenge the reasonableness of a prison regulation bear the burden of proving its invalidity. Overton v. Bazzetta, 539 U.S. 126, 132 (2003); Jackson v. Frank, 509 F.3d 389, 391 (7th Cir. 2007). The burden is a weighty one: “We must accord substantial
    deference to the professional judgment of prison administrators, who bear a significant responsibility for defining the legitimate goals of a corrections system and for determining the most appropriate means to accomplish them.” Overton, 539 U.S. at 132.

Instead, the genuine issue of material fact that Singer purports to raise regards the existence of a rational relationship between the indisputably legitimate penological interests cited by Muraski and Waupun’s policy banning D&D.

The question is not whether D&D has led to gang behavior in the past; the prison officials concede that it has not. The question is whether the prison officials are rational in their belief that, if left unchecked, D&D could lead to gang behavior among inmates and undermine prison security in the future
    ."

He, naturally, couldn’t get his own experts, the guy submitted affidavits from a bunch of people mostly saying something to the effect of “D&D has caused no problems in the past & D&D can have positive-rehabilitative effects.” More relevant portions of the opinion addressing this:

"Singer’s affiants demonstrate significant personal knowledge about D&D’s rules and gameplay, and offer their own assessments that D&D does not lead to gang behavior, but they lack the qualifications necessary to determine whether the relationship between the D&D ban and the maintenance of prison security is “so remote as to render the policy arbitrary or irrational.” Turner, 482 U.S. at 89-90. In other words, none of them is sufficiently versed in prison security concerns to raise a genuine issue of material fact about their relationship to D&D. (Of course, many of Singer’s affiants are present or former inmates, but their experiential “expertise” in prison security is from the wrong side of the bars and fails to match Muraski’s perspective.) The expertise critical here is that relating to prisons, their security, and the prevention of prison gang activity. Singer’s affiants conspicuously lack such expertise.

While Cardwell and his other affiants, including a literacy tutor and a role-playing game analyst, testified to a positive relationship between D&D and rehabilitation, none disputed or even acknowledged the prison officials’ assertions that there are valid reasons to fear a relationship running in the opposite direction. The prison officials pointed to a few published circuit court cases to give traction to their views. We view these cases as persuasive evidence that for some individuals, games like D&D can impede rehabilitation, lead to escapist tendencies, or result in more dire consequences
    ."

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Obsidian Portal page for a campaign I'm working on...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...on-queens-rage

Super incomplete right now but it's a start.

Last session of Encounters S3 is this Wednesday, S4 next week. I'll have sessions 18-20 up in the same post after it happens.

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Encounters Session 18

6 players, mostly the usual crowd with a few people from our usual monthly RPGA games showing up on a lark.

It was a good time; session 18 involved pushing back the lizardfolk who had managed to breach the city from the inside (they dug a tunnel up through one of the buildings on the inner courtyard). There was a large catapult along the outer bailey walls that the players could utilize to strike the building and collapse it, sealing the breach; until they did though, they had to contend again with waves of lizardfolk coming out of the building every round. Nothing super complicated, they pulled through without too much issue. A few people bloodied here and there. The addition of a Sentinel with a wolf companion helped a lot since the wolf causes all adjacent enemies to automatically grant CA; really gave the players an edge.

Since they finished so quickly, we moved right on to session 19.

Encounters Session 19

Same players of course. This time they had to fight the black dragon that was assaulting the keep. The fight was set up under the assumption that the dragon had been fighting from the beginning of the assault, so once the players got to it several of her abilities were already used and needed to be recharged, she was already bloodied, and used one of her action points. This made it no less deadly though, as while bloodied any melee damage taken causes all adjacent creatures to take 5 acid damage from the "Acidic Blood" effect. Combine this with her acid breath and (potentially) Shroud of Gloom which causes all nearby enemies to gain vulnerable 5 acid, and she's got a lot of pain to dish out. Worse yet, the dragon went first in initiative, so caught everybody at once with acid breath. Luckily she didn't recharge Shroud of Gloom or I think I might have TPK'd them.

The whole issue was complicated by other lizardfolk present as well, few of which were minions so it was still a lot of damage that had to be dished out to survive. Many of them went before the players did as well so they were able to toss out area burst effects on the party to great effect. I pulled a punch or two; I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do, but just doesn't feel right, I really hate dropping players (particularly in Encounters, and especially now since we have some new-ish people to the hobby).

The party again though ignored my prompts which would have helped them; they could have called on an NPC ally that would have given people a boost, but it would have required someone's standard action to do so, and nobody seemed willing to give that up. Ah well, their loss. They pulled through, but burned a lot of healing surges to do it.

Encounters Session 20

And so we come to the finale. 5 players. 3 of the usual crowd, one of the new-ish players who's been coming the last few weeks, and then one brand-new, never-played-D&D-before-ever guy. It was fun! He played a slayer which was pretty easy to pick up and run with...we were able to walk him through most of the basics of his turn process and explain some things as we went along. He seemed to pick up on it well enough. I pointed him toward the Essentials player books (HotFL/HotFK) as a good starting point if he wants to learn more, or suggested he can get a basic set of rules by downloading the Keep On the Shadowfell module that WotC has for free on their website.

The final battle was the standoff vs Benwick, the man who started the quest so long ago and ultimately betrayed them. Again I was able to toss out a lot of bloodied marks but the Cavalier managed to slap some dazed effect on my monsters just in time to save people from getting wrecked (and this time, I'd have done it too). They had a few reinforcements who happened to survive the last battle, but those were wiped out rather quickly; the story element ally they had was almost lost to Benwick's aid as well, but someone spoke up and managed to convince him with some solid skill checks to re-strengthen his resolve.

Benwick fell, and his serpent allies fled. Victory was had!

It really was a great season. Chris Sims outdid himself on the writing, and I enjoyed using it as a way to warm myself back into the DMing process. Since starting on this and then DDXP I've now gained the confidence to probably even GM at places like Origins and Gen Con (although not Origins this year, personal conflict), and maybe PAX (though I'm more likely to join the Enforcers there).

Next week we start on season 4, March of the Phantom Brigade. We're going to run two sessions at a time (time permitting) until we catch up to the official schedule. This season looks really cool too, this time written by Rodney Thompson. Hopefully we get at least one more routine player, we're losing two for sure and only have three that I know of that will be making a regular presence. I could probably run it for 3 but it'll be a bumpy ride.

I can keep logging adventures if anybody cares, and if you actually want the audio recordings, let me know and I'll make more effort to record those. I plan to DM straight through the season.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

i'm unstickying, this thread isnt getting enough traffic and we have too many stickies in gaming. if it becomes uber popular i'll resticky

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hello necro bump, but why make a new thread? I'm nerding it up lately and went to my very first DnD game about 2 months ago, enounters specifically. Just starting the new season this week as some of you may know, andi was curious if you guys know any fun builds for level 1 since this game never goes higher than level 3. I played a psion last season and ill be honest that it wasn't really that interesting for encounters. Looking for something powerful for level 1

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Heh, nice! I assume you're enjoying it?

I toyed with some builds from the new Heroes of the Feywild book that I think are pretty fun, check them out: http://nullzone.tumblr.com/post/1288...e-there-be-fey

"Powerful" is relative to function of the PC, so you'd have to tell me more about what you have fun most at while playing if you want other suggestions.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Wizards of the Coast announces open playtesting starting this Spring for D&D 5th Edition

As you may have read in the New York Times, it’s an exciting time for Dungeons & Dragons. We are happy to announce today that we are developing the next iteration of D&D, and will be looking to the legions of D&D fans to help shape the future of the game along with us.

Our mission is to ensure that D&D enters its next 40 years as a vibrant, growing, and exciting game. By listening to the needs of the D&D community, we can meet this goal. As part of our increased efforts to engage with the player-base, we launched a series of weekly articles in early 2011, including Rule of Three and Legends & Lore, to give you a voice in our work. We’ve listened to both praise and criticism from all D&D fans, regardless of their edition of choice, and we’ll continue to do so.

That is why we are excited to share with you that starting in Spring 2012, we will be taking this process one step further and conducting ongoing open playtests with the gaming community to gather feedback on the new iteration of the game as we develop it. With your feedback and involvement, we can make D&D better than ever. We seek to build a foundation for the long-term health and growth of D&D, one rooted in the vital traits that make D&D unique and special. We want a game that rises above differences of play styles, campaign settings, and editions, one that takes the fundamental essence of D&D and brings it to the forefront of the game. In short, we want a game that is as simple or complex as you please, its action focused on combat, intrigue, and exploration as you desire. We want a game that is unmistakably D&D, but one that can easily become your D&D, the game that you want to run and play.

D&D is more than just a set of rules for fantasy gaming. It launched an entire gaming genre and played a pivotal role in creating the entirety of the gaming industry, both analog and digital. The game has lived and thrived because it has awoken a spark of creation, visions of daring adventure, wondrous vistas, and untold horrors that pull us all together as a community of RPG fans. It is the countless players and DMs who have brought it to life over the years. The game is at its best when it is yours.

For that reason, we want your participation. The goals we have set for ourselves are by no means trivial or easy. By involving you in this process, we can build a set of D&D rules that incorporate the wants and desires of D&D gamers around the world. We want to create a flexible game, rich with options for players and DMs to embrace or reject as they see fit, a game that brings D&D fans together rather than serves as one more category to splinter us apart.

We have begun obtaining feedback from a limited Friends & Family playtest consisting of internal employees and their gaming groups and soon we will be expanding that group to consist of members from our existing body of playtesters. Then at the D&D Experience convention in late January, Wizards of the Coast will conduct a special playtest of ideas currently in development. The D&D Experience will be moving to Gen Con in 2013, so as a convention special this year, we will be offering show attendees a first-look at a draft of the new set of rules. Then beginning sometime in the spring, we will begin open playtesting. Through our web site, we will release a growing set of rules, classes, monsters and other materials for your study and feedback. We seek to reach as many people as possible, from the gamer who just started with D&D last week to the gaming group that has been together since the early-1970s. For this process to work, we want to give a voice to all D&D fans and players of all previous editions of the game.

The next year is going to be an exciting one. There is a lot of work to be done, and I’m hoping you have the time, energy, and inclination to pitch in. We sure hope you do, as we seek to make gaming history by shaping the future of D&D, together. If you would like to sign up today to be notified when the playtest is beginning and how you can participate, click here:

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I meant to dig this up and post, heh.

I'm looking forward to DDXP, will be interesting to see where they're taking all of this. I have some insider knowledge thanks to knowing certain people, but what little I know is mostly subtle hints and nods to public information, so it just makes me all the more curious.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Sorry to necrobump for nothing new. Just played DnD for the first time yesterday with some friends, and it took forever to get characters started up and I'm not confident that we got them right (first time for all of us). Anyway, we have the 4th edition starter kit and Player's handbook and that's about it. It just seems like there are pertinent pieces of information that I have to go looking for in different places and this was nice because it took out guesswork, but I'm not sure about things like feats, saving throws, and all the things that affect abilities - how to know when I've checked everything. In these two spoilers I put a sheet I did by using the player's handbook and the second is generated from the link. I can't figure out where the STR modifier is coming from. Also, I had done the ability generation by giving 16/14/13/12/11/10 to DEX/STR/CHR/CON/INT/WIS, yet both sets of abilities ended up the same after mods even though I don't know how it got some of the mods - I got +2 to DEX and +0 to STR, but the site says 4 and 2 respectively.

Spoiler: show

fuck yeah comic sans

Spoiler: show
    Male Halfling Rogue
    Level 1
    Unaligned

Strength 14(+2)
    Constitution 12(+1)
    Dexterity 18(+4)
    Intelligence 11(+0)
    Wisdom 10(+0)
    Charisma 15(+2)

Height: 4' 1" Weight: 85 lb Skin:
    Eyes:
    Hair: ; Beardless [may grow sideburns]
    Maximum Hit Points: 24

• Bloodied: 12
      Surge Value: 6
      Surges / Day: 7 [includes constitution modifier]

Speed: 6 squares
    Vision: Normal

Initiative:1d20 +4 = + 4 [dexterity] Base Strength Attack:1d20 +2 = + 2 [strength] Base Dexterity Attack:1d20 +4 = + 4 [dexterity] Base Constitution Attack:1d20 +1 = + 1 [constitution] Base Intelligence Attack:1d20 +0 = + 0 [intelligence] Base Wisdom Attack:1d20 +0 = + 0 [wisdom] Base Charisma Attack:1d20 +2 = + 2 [charisma] Armor Class:16= 10 + 4 [dexterity] + 2 [Leather] Fortitude Defense:12= 10 + 2 [strength] Reflex Defense:16= 10 + 2 [rogue] + 4 [dexterity] Will Defense:12= 10 + 2 [charisma] If your campaign uses the fixed-enhancement bonus system [PH2/Dark Sun], level 1 characters get +0 on attack/damage (0d6 extra damage on a critical hit) and +0 on all defenses. These bonuses do not stack with magic items.
    Armor: Leather (15 lb)

Shield: None

Attacks:

• Unarmed Melee: +2 [base strength attack] vs AC; damage 1[W]=1d4+2 [strength bonus]
      Dagger: +6 vs AC [+2 strength attack] [+3 proficiency][+1 rogue weapon talent]; damage 1[W]=1d4+2 [strength bonus] 1 lb (Light blade); usable off-hand; light throwable
      Thrown: range 5/10 +8 vs AC [+4 dexterity attack] [+3 proficient, +1 rogue weapon talent]; damage 1d4+4 [dexterity bonus];
      Hand crossbow: +6 vs AC [+4 dexterity attack] [+2 proficiency]; damage 1[W]=1d6+4 [dexterity bonus] range 10/20 2 lb (Crossbow) Load free
      Riposte Strike +4w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
      Sly Flourish +4w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
      Dazing Strike +4w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
      Trick Strike +4w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
      w Weapon-based power. Apply adjustments for proficiency, situation, feats, magic, etc.

Base Saving throw: d20 vs 10
    Encumberance 4eNormal Load:
    Heavy Load:
    Maximum Drag Load
    140 lb.
    280 lb.
    700 lb.
    Encumberance 3.5Light load:
    Medium load:
    Heavy load:
    Lift over head:
    Lift off ground:
    Push or drag:
    44 or less
    44-87 lb.
    88-131 lb.
    131 lb.
    263 lb.
    656 lb.
    Languages:Common; Primordial; Rituals Known:
    Skills:

• Acrobatics:+11 = 4 [dexterity] + 2 [Halfling] +5 [class training] Arcana:+0 = 0 [intelligence] Athletics:+7 = 2 [strength] +5 [class training] Bluff:+2 = 2 [charisma] Diplomacy:+2 = 2 [charisma] Dungeoneering:+5 = 0 [wisdom] +5 [class training] Endurance:+1 = 1 [constitution] Heal:+0 = 0 [wisdom] History:+0 = 0 [intelligence] Insight:+0 = 0 [wisdom] Intimidate:+2 = 2 [charisma] Nature:+0 = 0 [wisdom] Perception:+5 = 0 [wisdom] +5 [class training] Religion:+0 = 0 [intelligence] Stealth:+9 = 4 [dexterity] +5 [class training] Streetwise:+2 = 2 [charisma] Thievery:+11 = 4 [dexterity] + 2 [Halfling] +5 [class training]

Feats:

• Backstabber [+2d8 at this level]

At-Will:

• Melee Basic Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+2 [strength bonus] [standard action]
      Ranged Basic Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+4 [dexterity bonus] [standard action]
      Bull Rush: +2 [base strength attack] vs fortitude [standard action]
      Grab: +2 [base strength attack] vs reflex [standard action]
      Move grabbed target: +2 [base strength attack] vs fortitude [standard action]
      Escape: +11 [acrobatics] vs reflex / +7 [athletics] vs fortitude [move action]
      Riposte Strike [Level 1]
      Sly Flourish [Level 1]
      Other Standard Actions:Administer a potion; Aid another [revised: skill check vs. 10+level/2, success helps +2, failure hurts -1]; Charge [+1 to basic melee attack or bull rush]; Coup de grace; Equip / stow shield; Ready an action; Total defense; Sustain standard action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics -- fast escape; Bluff, Heal -- first aid (use second wind DC10, stabilize the dying DC15, grant a saving throw DC15), Intimidate, Thievery depending on circumstances); Other Move Actions:Crawl; Run [speed 8]; Stand up; Shift; Squeeze; Walk; may include some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics, Athletics); half of a Double Move (if taken in place of a standard action) Other Minor Actions:Draw / sheathe weapon; Drink a potion; Drop prone; Load a crossbow; Open / close a door; Pick up an item; Retrieve / stow an item; Perception -- active (as per revision), Sustain minor action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Insight) Other Immediate Actions:Readied action Other Opportunity Actions:Opportunity attack Other Free Actions:Drop held items; End a grab; Talk Other Non-Actions:Delay; Endurance checks; Insight to counter Bluff; Knowledge checks; Perception -- passive Short rest:Healing surges as available Five minutes:Normal escape from restraints (Acrobatics) One hour:Forage; Streetwise check

Encounter Powers:

• Second Wind
      Spend an Action Point [free action, not in surprise round]
      Second Chance [Halfling][immediate interrupt]
      Dazing Strike [Level 1]

Daily Powers:

• Trick Strike [Level 1]

Halfling

• +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution or Charisma (already included; you chose Charisma.)
    • +2 Acrobatics, +2 Thievery
    • Bold: +5 on saves vs fear
    • Nimble Reaction: +2 on AC vs opportunity attacks
    • Second Chance (once per encounter, if hit, force opponent to re-roll attack)

Rogue
    • First Strike
    • Rogue Weapon Talent -- per update, dagger must be used as a weapon
    • This rogue chose the rogue weapon talent [PH1].
    • This rogue chose the artful dodger style. Remember to add your charisma modifier to AC against opportunity attacks.
    • Sneak Attack [+2d8 at level 1] [once per round with combat advantage; using light blade, hand crossbow. sling, or short bow]
    • Essentials rules appear to consider shortbow a principal rogue weapon like the crossbow.

Equipment:

• 18 lb
      2 lb
      2 lb
      5 lb

4 lb
      2 lb
      5 lb
      1 lb
      10 lb
      10 lb
      2 lb
      4 lb
      1 lb
      _____
      66 lbWeapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
      Crossbow bolts (quiver of 20) x1
      Backpack
      Bedroll
      Flint and steel
      Grappling hook
      Hammer
      Pitons x10
      Pouch (belt) x1
      Rations (1 day) x10
      Rope (50', hempen) x1
      Sunrods x2
      Waterskins x1
      Thieves' tools

Total

Resistances:Action Point Tally:
    Daily Item Powers Per Day: Heroic Tier Milestones
    Death Saving Throw Failures
    More about this character:

Mainly I'm just wondering if we should trash all our characters and try to use this site or change them after this game ends. Also, if you guys know of a very noob friendly yt vid or something that doesn't assume the view knows anything then link it if you would. I've gone through a ton of videos and a lot of stuff is just assumed, or addresses things that I'm not sure why they are being addressed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I'm not familiar with 4th edition at all, but for the stat differences I think it is the racial modifier since you are a halfling. That would by you have a 16 dex from the sheet and 18 from the website, also why the dex bonus jumps from 2 to 4. I don't know what your google skills are, but it couldn't hurt to see if you can find the old, old basic D&D red box. I learned to play from that and it has a very simple choose your own adventure introduction to the game and set-up. Or even a copy of 1st edition AD&D. Over the years, they have really made the game more complex by adding all sorts of new abilities, skills, feats or other things.

If you guys are just trying to get the feel of the game, you might think about just throwing together some human fighters. Lack of special skills or racial modifiers might help simplify. Make house rules if a player wants to try a skill based off of a relevent ability score. Want to bust down that door? Roll a d20 and if it is lower than their str, it breaks. (lower not higher because if they are a monster with 18 str, it should be easy to break it open). As you get more comfortable playing, things should just start clicking and you can add the official rules to your game.

Remember that your 6 stats would be the core of your character. Skills and abilites are modified based on these numbers, if related. Common sense should help with most of these. Quick or acrobatic movements would be dex. Health would be constitution. Book smarts are intelligence. Wisdom could be street smarts. (Original book described it as Intelligence tells you its raining. Wisdom tells you to get under cover). Hope I'm not confusing you or rambling or misinterpreting your question too much right now.

*Disclaimer: if you decide to try and find old versions in .pdf or whatever, the THAC0 (to hit armor class zero) system is a source of great confusion for many people. It clicked for me, but YMMV.

Edit: Thought about the stats and think came up with simpler way to phrase it. Looks like you might be mixing up stat bonus and race bonus. Your starting str is 14, which gives a +2 bonus to skills. Dex is 16 which also seems to be a +2 bonus. Since you are a halfling, you get a +2 base increase to dex, making it 18. An 18 dex stat is +4 to related skills. So the +2, +0 you are looking at is the adjustment to base stats based on race (a one time change). The +4, +2 is the modifier you use because those are above average stats, which will affect all rolls.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

When I played 4th ed. with my DnD group we used the character builder provided on from here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/subscription.aspx

We pooled money from each player. It's pretty straight-forward with the character building process, and makes building characters much quicker than sifting through a book to choose powers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag