The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Not sure on 4th edition, but there are many pdfs and guides floating around if you have need source materials that you don't currently possess. Also, BG does have a rather large D&D community for specific questions.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

What edition is Pathfinder? Isn't it 3.5 with more customization options or some shit? Still new to tehw hole D&D scene, just got into Pathfinder because of a friend. Just know that I wish I started this earlier, so much fun with friends.

Spoiler: show
    Except that ONE friend who wants to be a CE character and just be annoying through the whole campaign. Had one last semester who I ended up throwing off a bridge and pissing him off in real life, lol.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

ty guys. I've got most of the pertinent .pdfs, but my biggest gripe is things like in the current players handbook, the first place that lists how many at-will/encounter/daily/utility powers you get is in the leveling up section, rather than in the earlier character creation section. I haven't had to level up any characters yet, so it is fortunate that I happen to glance through that section and see the table, and things like that make me wish everything in the book were reorganized and your character sheets were outlined in the books with every blank spot explained - Base stat, the only things that modify this stat are x (found on page a), y (found on page b), and z (found on page c). Instead, you have "put your base stat here and modifiers right next to it, things like x and y" which leaves you to guess if there is a z, and then find out where x, y, and z are explained.

Also there are things like in the character creator (http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm) I'm given a +2 Dex and a choice between +2 Charisma and +2 Constitution. In the PHB, the racial bonus is just listed as "+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma." Since the PHB seems like the official resource, I'd normally default to it, but as I said above, the book doesn't make a whole lot of sense sometimes.

Bitchfist

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lebzile View Post
    What edition is Pathfinder? Isn't it 3.5 with more customization options or some shit? Still new to tehw hole D&D scene, just got into Pathfinder because of a friend. Just know that I wish I started this earlier, so much fun with friends.
    Pathfinder is widely considered D&D 3.75. It's basically a logical progression forward from 3.5 with tweaks and modifications that just flat make sense. It is by faaaar my favorite system and I've been playing since the three little white books. From Star wars to Shadowrun, Vampire to Mage the Ascension and all the white wolf titles and many more, it's just damn good.

Black Belt
    BG Level

PF actually has less customization in term of multiclassing, prestige class and whatnot, but it does offer archetype which allow some customization of the base class. I'm still slightly miffed that spellcaster is still the demigod, but at least the hybrid melee classes are actually good

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I have a question.

So, I'm playing a 4E campaign and I'm a Changling. The world we're in hates changlings and there was even a Changling Purge. Now, my Party is being chased by changlings and my party wants to use me to find out how to identify Changlings.(In my back story my character barely survived the purge and now I don't trust anyone. it took two gods killing other members of our party while we were separated to even reveal myself to them.) Our gnome tried to hypnotize me into cutting off my own hair to see if it changed back to my normal changling state but thankfully I'm god awful at rolling dice and crit missed myself and ended up throwing myself off a pier.

What kind of plausible lie can I tell them about identifying changlings so they'll stop trying to experiment on me?

Bitchfist

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They can't pee standing up

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

What kind of plausible lie can I tell them about identifying changlings so they'll stop trying to experiment on me?
    I have had a similar background in a game being a Changeling Rouge. I had been experimented on by our Hafling Artificer.

You can make a Bluff check to tell the group a lie (they would be rolling an Insight check against your Bluff). If you are unsure you can succeed in a lie against the group, have a one-on-one conversation with a member with the lowest Insight check and Bluff against them. If you succeed with the Bluff, that guy you lied too will be telling what he thinks it the truth (Diplomacy) to the rest of the party. So that is one way of doing it.

Or you can tell the truth and that should end the experiments... for a little bit... I should know that it doesn't always work.

If you want a lie: I don't know much about your world nor the group who you play with so I can't think of anything other than tell them to capture someone who they think is a Changling in a raccoon trap and experiment on that Changling.

Black Belt
    BG Level

tell them changeling are heavier than ducks?

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Changelings can't hide their true form from mirrors. Or like Odo from DS9, they can only hold their shape for like 16 hours so if they're around you for more than 16 hours, you are obv not a changeling.

Black Belt
    BG Level

4e rule just give them an at-will polymorph that last until they assume another form though, unless you wanna add that specific lore into the campaign setting

can anyone in the party do anything with detect thoughts?

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Nope, no one can detect thoughts.

Black Belt
    BG Level

true sight? arcane sight?

hell, just ask the DM to homebrew a magical goggle of true seeing artifact or something, should be common enough if the setting hates changeling enough to purge them.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

depends on who you are playing with, but in my limited DM experience, the more I had planned out the more likely they were to do something completely different, so stay on your toes and be ready to adapt and improvise

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I had a player jump into a pool of acid because "I figured maybe it was an illusion"

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I got a couple of buddies along with myself who want to get into a Tabletop RPG. None of us have experience, friends who've played, or know of a place to play, and for accessibility purposes, we've been considering pulling cash to buy a starter's box before anything else. (Probably PF or 4E, we're unsure.)

I know there's free resources out there that I could google, but I was wondering if anyone knows a particular well-outlined, or better - free, guide to ease ourselves into it. I'll be organizing things, probably be forced into DMing, so I guess that is something to consider.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Speaking of that would anyone be interested in playing something over this? http://roll20.net/

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I tried to mess with the DM tools on it, I realized that DMing really isn't for me, The only things I really have to say are mostly common sense things.

New Merits
    BG Level

I may be wrong but from my experience in DnD(have only done 4e) u can DM and play in whatever style seems to work with you and your group. I didn't want to DM cause I wanted the fun of playing but what I decided on was to DM but also have a character I play within the group. My character doesn't offer too much in terms of helping proceed because I am DM but I can at least slightly interact and play in battles. Honestly my group uses a whiteboard with perm marker box lines drawn on it and it works well for us.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

anyone here ever tried a program called fantasy grounds? its awesome, it allows you to play pen and paper d&d(pretty much anything actually) via the internet. i love d&d, problem for me has always been getting a group of people together in one location, so this just seemed like a natural extension of awesomesauce.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag