+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My group uses maptools. It's kinda complicated, but one of the good things is that you can customize a lot of stuff, if you have someone willing to learn how to do all that(or you can download someone else campaign properties and just learn how to use them). Its nice having a character stats on your character's token that you can adjust with macro's and stuff on the fly.

Also, for pathfinder, this site has pretty much everything in the game, as far as character options and stuff goes(so no full Adventure paths or Modules, but items and stuff from them are(oh course there are torrents and the like you can get of those and pretty much everything else pathfinder related... not that I'm suggesting that)). Here's a youtube channel of a guy teaching his girlfriend pathfinder, might be useful for learning the game(personally never used t myself).

Gonna check out that fantasy grounds, though at this point with all the customizing we've done in Maptools its unlikely we'll change even if it is better. Though if we ever decided to try out a system other then Pathfinder, maybe...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Phoenix View Post
    My group uses maptools. It's kinda complicated, but one of the good things is that you can customize a lot of stuff, if you have someone willing to learn how to do all that(or you can download someone else campaign properties and just learn how to use them). Its nice having a character stats on your character's token that you can adjust with macro's and stuff on the fly.

Also, for pathfinder, this site has pretty much everything in the game, as far as character options and stuff goes(so no full Adventure paths or Modules, but items and stuff from them are(oh course there are torrents and the like you can get of those and pretty much everything else pathfinder related... not that I'm suggesting that)). Here's a youtube channel of a guy teaching his girlfriend pathfinder, might be useful for learning the game(personally never used t myself).

Gonna check out that fantasy grounds, though at this point with all the customizing we've done in Maptools its unlikely we'll change even if it is better. Though if we ever decided to try out a system other then Pathfinder, maybe...
    what i really liked about fantasy grounds was being able to build your character sheet inside the game, with functional abilities. the program is built to understand the d&d ruleset, so you can specify how many dice the ability will roll, if it will apply any effects, pretty much any condition you can think of the game understands, so when you want to do something you just click your target and double click your ability, it will automatically roll to see if you hit, then determine if you hit based on your targets, if it did hit, it will roll the damage dice for you(the amount and size of dice specified within the abilities settings), apply the damage and any additional affects to the target automatically.

theres just lots of things that were specifically built into the application to make playing d&d easier. i think most of your players would be sold if they downloaded the trial version of the app and started building their characters.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Bit of big news, WotC has finally pulled it's head out of it's ass and has partnered with DTRPG.
    YOU CAN NOW GET LEGAL D&D PDFS!
    http://www.dndclassics.com

Selection is not yet complete. Most 1e through 3e books are five or ten dollars, 4e tends toward eighteen.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Behold! An Adventure Time RPG based on 4e D&D.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byf0...l=en&forcehl=1

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Had our first PF game the other night. Four players without experience, including myself, while I assumed the role of GM. We used the Beginner's Box and it took about an hour for everyone to go over the pregen characters and learn what the attributes and skills that they had meant and functioned. About another hour in and we managed to clear the first 5 rooms. It was very clunky but very fun. I wish I had prepared additional descriptions and account for more situations than what was provided in the book; I had to improvise without anything to draw on while learning how to play.

Anyone have advice on how to manage the flow of the game? Particularly exploring dungeons, starting combat, moving pawns, ect? I had my players moving like they were playing chess, bypassing traps, events and the like. Also, is experience typically distributed at the end of a session/dungeon or as we go along?

SETTLE DOWN, DANZIG
    you canno see my sunglass

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ikarys Chevalier
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    Blog Entries

A good rule is to tabulate experience as you go, but only rack it up / total at the end of sessions or adventures. Typically, characters don't "level up" mid-adventure, and this is per most standard game rules.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My group just finished our first dungeon from the beginner's box set. It ended, after like half a dozen sessions and like 20 hours lol. I just started DMing and made a customizable map but it's too much work, so I thought about seeing if my university has large format printers and see about making custom maps that way, I'm thinking it might be a great avenue to explore. My current encounter has many more mechanics than the premade dungeon did, but it's a bitch to remember all of it. I just started my victims in a dungeon that represents the four humours (vital essence, so to speak, of old medical thought) as being associated with elements, inside the body of one of the PCs in order to rout out a dangerous but previously benign disease. We use minis, and I'm planning on using Scrabble tiles in play. I looked around and not only are minis more expensive than I thought they'd be, but I didn't realize how many people don't use maps or minis at all.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Anyone know of games like DnD or Settlers of Catan that are available in Spanish?

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Not sure if anyone is interested but I'm starting up an online DnD 4e game on roll20 that is doing its first session on Saturday. The group is full right now but I filled it up with random people from Reddit's lfg subreddit so I'm not too confident that everyone will show up. Just wanted to extend the offer if anyone wants to try and join in on Saturday in case no one shows up, or if someone completely drops out I'd love to grab some BG peoples.

Just want to say I'm running a premade campaign made by Wizards of the Coast for 4e. I played about three chapters of this with some IRL friends before I had to move away and I LOVED it so I've been really pining to find another group to redo it with. So if you're interested (and if this link works) you can check out the campaign page on roll20 here: http://app.roll20.net/campaigns/deta...-of-war-4e-dnd

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I'd assume you could get euro style boardgames from the EU that are made with EFIGS instructions, maybe even whole printed in Spanish.

As for D&D, I'm sure there has to be a Spanish printing of that, the core books at least. But in case not, there's this game, Anima: Beyond Fantasy, and I know it's language of original release is Spanish. You might try that if you can find copies.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Derock View Post
    So my group is restarting after having to kick out some players and I've decided to go fighter. Anyone know of a decent pathfinder 2 hander build that's good for tanking?
    Pathfinder kinda ruined all the Trip-related tanky builds from 3.5e. You could try being a Crusader and going with some variant of Polearm/Enlarge Person/Thicket of Blades/Combat Reflexes/Improved & Greater Trip and other related shenanigans, but it won't be anywhere near as good as it is in 3.5e.

If sticking to fighter, you might consider just making a "big guy with a stick" build and kill things before they kill you.

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Derock View Post
    I'll probably go with big guy with a stick. I'm the only newbie in the group so hopefully everyone else will be able to help me if needed.
    If any of your enemies will be evil, be a Paladin. They can rock the damage with smite evil and they can heal themselves as a free action with lay on hands. They kick shit and can take hits with the best of them.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

anyone have experience with: World's Largest Dungeon ?
    Friend is DMing it, need to make two characters for it, not really sure where to start. Thinking a Factotum for versatility maybe, past that idk.

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    anyone have experience with: World's Largest Dungeon ?
    Friend is DMing it, need to make two characters for it, not really sure where to start. Thinking a Factotum for versatility maybe, past that idk.
    Are yous still playing 3.5 or using an updated pathfinder version? My brother played a factotum in a game. In a large enough group, it's actually pretty fantastic. It poses a problem in smaller groups because it lacks any particular strength, though.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So being that my still new group has been doing practically nothing but encounter after encounter and I'm feeling burned out on it, I thought I'd give us a night with no fights. The problem I'm having is I have no real idea if the material I've come up with is gonna be blown through in an hour or going to be boringly repetitive by taking 5 hours. Does anyone have any good examples of interactive adventures that don't involve any fighting?

Also, lol
    Spoiler: show

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

We don't acknowledge 4e...

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

We just started even looking into D&D like 2 months ago, give us a break, lol.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Hey Jakson, I never really got into D&D, but my best friends had great times with the game growing up. Recently they just got back together doing some online sessions through Google Hangout and Roll20, which are quite amazing, I've gotta say. I've always been a huge fantasy and story buff, so I offered to help out with their campaign story lines wherever I can. I'd say the best advice I could give is think about the bigger picture and story of your campaign. Flesh out as much as you can with maps, cultures, people. Pull stories and take examples and plot twists from them and weave them into your own story arcs.

Perhaps instead of going head to head with foes, your group could try being stealthy, tricky, or even diplomatic. Maybe different scenario resolutions would give them more exp or opportunities. Always think of the story and how branching out or going on side quests can expand it. Add vital npcs that could help drive the adventure. For example, before my best friend came to me for help, he was co-DM'ing with another guy, and their story was exactly like yours in a way...nothing but fight to fight, like a bad case of FF random encounters. My friend managed to salvage the story by implementing a sort of Inception plot twist...I don't know too much on the details, but the gist of it was that they were in there to reclaim fragments of their souls, and by retrieving them, they'd awaken.

However, their story kind of lacked substance since no one thought of the key components like who's causing shit, why they're there, and why the place they're in were important. So I threw in a few suggestions, added potential npcs, and helped them develop and enrich the lore of their world a little more. In their case, I suggested adding another npc that was similar to the players...who was caught in the same predicaments as them, and by helping said npc, they'd gain an ally in the real realm. Beef it up a few notches by making the npc have nobility or some signifiance. BAM! Not only do they now have an ally, but a kingdom to call safe haven, reputation, and all sorts of opportunities. (Assuming they do things right of course.)

tl;dr Think of story elements and different methods to go about getting exp and shiz!

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I want to DM a Dark Sun Campaign for 4e but I have never DM'd before and I want to make something up, not follow a book because my friends read every fucking D&D material that comes out D:

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dark sun? Have they read Dune? If not, just do that but with psionics. Just a few fixes and it could work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag