BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    That sounds like a good system to use for character sheets. I know a few of my fellow D&Ders here give themselves small upgrades that they shouldn't every week. Thankfully, I never DM them and its always like a group of 12.
    12?! Jesus, your DM is a saint.

My players both told me this morning they like my storytelling method and the simplified shit I put in so we're gonna continue our adventures!

I introduced a pretty interesting custom item based on one of the characters.

Cube of Evil Life -
    Once every 3 days, this cube will charge with a daedric resurrection spell.
    Holds 2 max. 12 second cast (2 rounds).
    A conscious life MUST be sacrificed for each spell to function. If the target is unimpeded, they can roll a DC19 to block. No bonuses. 300 arcane damage to drain.

It also has a secret purpose that neither of them know about. :D

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I ended up quitting that 12 person campaign after a bit. There was like 5 people in it who read every damn book and would spoil everything and have shitty attitudes.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    I ended up quitting that 12 person campaign after a bit. There was like 5 people in it who read every damn book and would spoil everything and have shitty attitudes.
    That's lame. My last game fell apart because of too many cooks in the kitchen too. They'd be talking OOC for like 10 minutes at a stretch and our DM self-destructed and collapsed the walls on everyone.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I will agree that narrative and storytelling usually trumps slogging through combat on a grid. Most of the games I played 10+ years ago was freeform abstract combat.

Also for your charged heal, would you consider when out of combat maybe using the Short Rest mechanic from 5e instead where you get pool of hit die equal to character level. It's used during a 1 hour rest and heals yourself for <hit die>+con. example: level 2 fighter is down to 2 hp and needs to take a short rest. Can roll d10+con, and if the first roll sucked, can roll another d10+con expending the hit die pool. You get half your hit die back (rounded down) after a long rest (or at the start of the day.) The example fighter would restore 1 hit die at the start of the next day. Just a small thought to help a healer-less party between battles. Benefits those who have higher hit-die obviously.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    I will agree that narrative and storytelling usually trumps slogging through combat on a grid. Most of the games I played 10+ years ago was freeform abstract combat.

Also for your charged heal, would you consider when out of combat maybe using the Short Rest mechanic from 5e instead where you get pool of hit die equal to character level. It's used during a 1 hour rest and heals yourself for <hit die>+con. example: level 2 fighter is down to 2 hp and needs to take a short rest. Can roll d10+con, and if the first roll sucked, can roll another d10+con expending the hit die pool. You get half your hit die back (rounded down) after a long rest (or at the start of the day.) The example fighter would restore 1 hit die at the start of the next day. Just a small thought to help a healer-less party between battles. Benefits those who have higher hit-die obviously.
    I actually added this in. I did it a little differently. Short Rest is d6+CON, Long rest is full HP and full hit die restore. I'm keeping it very forgiving because one of the players is VERY new. I'm new as hell as well along with this being my first DM. Anything that simplifies my job without compromising the game is very welcome.

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Yea early character death is such a buzzkill. Heck any character death evokes some sort of rage response. And all you can do is blame the dice sometimes.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Yea early character death is such a buzzkill. Heck any character death evokes some sort of rage response. And all you can do is blame the dice sometimes.
    They fall how they fall.

I rolled 3 1's in a roll last night when I ambushed them on a path. I had two wolves run into eachother and knocked eachother out for a round.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I really want to DM a Dark Sun Campaign but the last time I tried, I couldn't get the people to shut the fuck up for more than 10 seconds.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I prefaced my current campaign with "If you are talking while I am talking, you'll probably die." I didn't need to as the players were the remnants of my previous game that died due to too much OOC crosstalk.

I heard a funny story about my friend's old DM who would time people talking OOC and penalize them the same amount in attack rounds once combat started.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I've only ever DM'd one time(which is the one time that ended poorly) so I wouldn't even know how to do that. My crew are assholes for letting someone try to learn.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You advance the story and penalize them. Disadvantage rolls, getting ambushed. They want to play? They get to pay attention or find themselves rerolling.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

If I do DM dark sun I will be doing that shit.

BG Level

If you want an example of a DM playing with an uncooperative group, watch this (and the subsequent parts)

The entire group was hungover, acting like idiots, trying to mess with the NPCs, pretty much destroy the campaign. The first 2 hours is a wash because there was no progress with the PCs to try and get them to leave town and adventure. The 2nd half (parts 3-5 on the playlist) of the session the DM turns it on the PCs by bringing the adventure to the town. And it was by no means vengeful, he got tired of waiting for them and being belligerent to the questgiver. It snapped the party into full preservation mode and salvaged the session. Sure some of the scenarios ended up becoming unwinnable for a few due to stupidity, but that's the way the game goes.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Yeah, when I ran that one time. My players kept getting it in their head that through inaction of playing the campaign they win the campaign.(If they don't stop the big bad guy and he kills everything, then they technically kill everything, so they get all the exp, ect ect). It really has put such a sour taste in my mouth for wanting to DM again but fuck, I really enjoy the Dark Sun setting

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

So anyone familiar with Pathfinder Society games? Been working on a character for my first game, and I think I've got it mostly squared away, but I'd like to double check. Got plenty of time, next nearby meetup my cousin is DMing is next month.

Also, I've never played anything like this so I don't really know the etiquette or anything. What kinds of things should I try to keep in mind?

can't shot spam
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Fizzcrank

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    So anyone familiar with Pathfinder Society games? Been working on a character for my first game, and I think I've got it mostly squared away, but I'd like to double check. Got plenty of time, next nearby meetup my cousin is DMing is next month.

Also, I've never played anything like this so I don't really know the etiquette or anything. What kinds of things should I try to keep in mind?
    PCgen is a fairly good program for char building although it doesn't have a lot of new stuff and can be buggy (no unchained classes for example). It's free and open-source though which is cool. D20pfsrd.com is really good for finding feats and whatnot as well.

Regarding DMing, one rule I really like is the 15 second rule. If a player can't figure out what they want to do in 15 seconds of combat (or otherwise as the situation calls for) then you skip them.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I'mma just leave this here for everyone
    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/p...hfinder-bundle

(Anyone who's ever bought TTRPG books knows this is the most insane deal ever offered.)

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Are these all digital copies?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah. All digital copies. Bought it anyway because why not. Getting the physical copy just in case a friend needs one.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

A decent chunk of the TTRPG market is digital these days.

The cost and logistics of printing and selling physical to a (relatively) tiny market was on the ropes after the 90's, and only got worse worse with the recession. Average people don't have the 30-50 bucks to drop on a single book these days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag