FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

speaking as a player, when that happens i say something along the lines of "come on man, weve spent too much time on this, i wanna play. just go with dm ruling for now and you can revisit it later."

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It's becoming constant. I'm willing to lose my spot on my Tuesday game at this point.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Marootabaruta

I'm having an issue in my Wednesday game. I'm not the DM but one of the players is turning things into fucking rule patrol. The problem with me just calling him out is that he's the DM of my Tuesday game.

I was keeping a mental time note and he wasted at least solid 40 minutes out of a 4 hour session debating the DM about fucking rules and trying to game his way outside and around. While I'm all for using clever mechanics to do awesome shit, this is super duper lame and really boring.

What do you do when a player gets all book heavy and starting slowing things to a crawl.
    As a DM, or as a player?

As a DM, when rules-lawyering starts bogging things down, especially over an extended period of time, I take the guy aside after session or talk to them between sessions, and tell them that I appreciate they are trying to make sure the game is run by the rules, but it's starting to slow the game down too much. Make a note about it, and ask me about it afterward and we can talk it through then-- sometimes, rules have to be adjusted as houserules, and sometimes, it's just a unique exception that is essential to the plot, whether there's a set rule for it or not. I try to stick with the rules as completely as possible, especially during [insert whatever element of the game is most important to this player] situations, but it's evne more important to make sure the story is an experience everyone will remember for years down the road.

Something along those lines. If I'm a player, then I bring my concern to the DM and the player. I bring up a lot of the same points to make it non-confrontational-- I appreciate how much rules knowledge you bring to the game, and that you're always ready with them, etc...-- but point out that you're getting frustrated with how long these rules sometimes take to resolve, and that it's really making the game not-fun for you. Offer the suggestion of bringing up rules questions after the game, perhaps, and the DM can address things in an email, and possibly explain *why* he made those changes, or if he made a mistake. If it's a matter of a PC's life-or-death, or even just an element of the game that is absolutely crucial to their character development, or some reason that we can't wait and get things sorted later, maybe limit the lengthy discussions to those moments.

Something like that.

If the DM agrees with you or if the player agrees and things change, great. If the DM doesn't agree with you, or the player doesn't, or they agree but still nothing changes, I'd usually just leave the group.

If I'm the DM, and the player doesn't change, I poll the other players, privately. If it's detracting from their fun, then I disinvite the player. If the players don't care, then I tough it out.

The same kind of thing goes for almost any disruptive behavior. Essentially, identify a good motive for what they are attempting to do, and assume best intentions. Let them know that. Then say why it's not working, or how it is interfering with other aspects of the game, and that you find it frustrating-- see if there's a way they can limit that behavior or address it after game/between sessions. Not necessarily abandon it completely, but limit it.

When it's a player talking to the DM, never say, "He needs to stop this or I leave." I will disinvite the player who threatens every single time. Let the DM and offending player know you are frustrated by it, and it's interfering with your ability to enjoy the game, and you'd like to find a solution where he can still help with rules knowledge, but not have it bog down game-time as often. If it doesn't work, tell the DM you're sorry (and if they are generally otherwise a good/great DM, tell them you'd love to be in another game they run), but you're just not having fun any more and rather than get angry and ruin relationships, you just need to bow out. Thank them for their time and the fun times that you did have.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Marootsoobutsu View Post
    good advice
    Thanks dude, I'm gonna toss my DM an email about things and see what she comes back with.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This is what I have

Hi DMnamehere

I had a few things I wanted to talk about that seemed better to do privately.

I feel like our last session devolved into rules lawyering really often. I know I'm guilty of doing it a bit but there are a few other people who seem to want to question or correct every instance of a possible book reference or rule. I'm all for playing by the rules but it is taking away from the story elements that you bring to the table. I appreciate that some of the other players are very knowledgeable and they do help out with advice but I also feel slightly like I'm sometimes being told how to play or what to do. I don't mind friendly advice but we seem to be dipping into some very heavy metagaming and backseat driving.

I don't want to cause any fuss or ruffle any feathers, I just wanted to let you know how I feel about these things and I really appreciate the amazing effort you put into our game. It's an awesome world you've built for us idiots to explore!

Best,

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Rule Zero: The DM makes the rules.

If people in my old 3/3.5 groups would try and either be creative/rules lawyer, the DM would generally allow it it is was fun/clever, but otherwise that character had a tree fall on them out of nowhere. So, trying to pull something almost became its own CHR roll against the DM, I liked it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

thats been my philosophy as a player, as well. if i cant make a convincing case in less than 10 minutes as to why my way is better than the dm's way, save it for after a run, unless its character-death tier important.

given my experience level, though, mostly it goes like this: bane "wait i thought this did that?" gm "no, its thingy." "oh, can i see?" and then i read the source and one of two things happens, either im wrong or i say something like "oh okay, that's not how i'd interpret that. i read it as blahblah, because RP reasons." DM then either agrees or doesnt, and i just let it go. i dont have to like every aspect of a story. sometimes stories have heart-wrenching twists and turns. if that means my lovingly crafted character eats it, i'll get over it and have fun rolling a new one.

after wiggling out of one character death (character has a spouse, party has easy access to resurrection magic. motive, opportunity, and in the end means to un-murder.) and immediately facing down another, followed by almost completely sabotaging our DM's story accidentally* I had to face the idea of losing characters, and i decided i wouldnt mind it as much as i'd initially thought. while i'm sure i'd be more attached to some than others (DON'T GET ANY IDEAS MAROOT), the process of making a new character is fun, so not the worst end result.

*half elf barbarian went berserk in a city and killed some of our newfound fans, party made of of theives and broken people immediately ran from the law... who ultimately report to our boss. we've spent several sessions now waiting for it to blow over and sneaking back to our boss to make amends; we're just wrapping up our first job back-on-the-job, so finally ready to get the story arc back on track lol. also, we're up to three ships (possibly four if our boss lets us keep the ship he loaned us) in our squadron now. I'm a goddamn commodore hahaha. not bad for a kitsune fighter/barbarian who got his initial "training" by being his spouse's Muscle during her heists/gambling fiascoes/general criminal thuggery, lol.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Tonight, my group actually spent the entire session attacking the darkness.

Monster held a black dragon in a magical sleep, black dragon was creating magical darkness which the monster was using to hide/regenerate/attack. took us most of our normal session time (and two critical fails in one of the monster's attacks) to lure it out of the darkness where we could hit it, but once we got it out we started making headway on the cloud of magical darkness as well. gf almost got eaten when she tried to wake the dragon up (had had some previous success with that) by picking up part of its hoard and shouting in its face "I'M GOING TO STEAL YOUR HOARD IF YOU DON'T WAKE UP." turns out dragons are perfectly capable of lunging at someone in their sleep. the brawler was also grappling the dragon's nostrils to both limit the amount of magical darkness it was spewing and also to force it to gasp itself awake. meanwhile the rest of the party was playing hide-and-go-stab with the monster, and with the other two working on the magical darkness we eventually cornered the fucker and hacked it to bits.

interestingly enough, my tank character has turned out to be one of the highest dps in the group as well. turns out being tanky enough to actually survive in melee helps a lot.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

We fought a banshee last night.

I'm easily the highest DPS now 5 barb / 1 bard that I have my 2 attacks (3 if hasted or Frenzied)

I did 66.66% of our damage last night and got 6/7 killing blows.

Barbarians are nuts.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Just caught up on Critical Role. Holy fuck and lol @ the ending...

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah, it's been pretty ridiculous for the last few months. Also having Joe Manganiello on there was fucking hilarious.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Yeah really. I hope they continue to bring him back; especially after that sprint of shout outs his wife's been doing on all the late night shows.

Now I gotta catch up on Harmon Quest cause there's never been a better time to actually watch D&D be played. Well done, Hollywood. Well fucking done.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Shiiiiiet son, that looks like it's gonna be a fun night.

On a side note, we recently took a break from D&D to play Star Wars EotE with the subscription dice set on Roll20. Shit's a lot of fun and a good change of pace. I don't know how we would've played without the set since it really speeds things up.

Ridill
    BG Level

I'm fairly new at d&d. Started up a 5th edition Monk, and picked Drow for random reason. After that it seemed like an obvious choice to go Way of Shadows. I'm lv2 right now and I've got a level to put onto something before our next game. I think I want to put a couple levels into warlock at least for Hex and it's Darkness Vision. Also for a little more illusionary shenanigans.

When would the best time to put a level or 2 into warlock? I'm not too concerned about min/maxing, but I would like to make sure I don't cripple myself in the short term.

I know a lot depends on the rules, campaign, and party members, but looking for just some general advice if anyone has any.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    I'm fairly new at d&d. Started up a 5th edition Monk, and picked Drow for random reason. After that it seemed like an obvious choice to go Way of Shadows. I'm lv2 right now and I've got a level to put onto something before our next game. I think I want to put a couple levels into warlock at least for Hex and it's Darkness Vision. Also for a little more illusionary shenanigans.

When would the best time to put a level or 2 into warlock? I'm not too concerned about min/maxing, but I would like to make sure I don't cripple myself in the short term.

I know a lot depends on the rules, campaign, and party members, but looking for just some general advice if anyone has any.
    What are your attributes like?

Ridill
    BG Level

Dex is 17, Wis 15or16, Con 15or14, Chr,Int,Str all 13. Character info's at my friends, so don't recall exactly.

Lower Chr is giving me pause, since I don't really know if it's too low to be useful or not and I didn't plan on the Warlock sub until earlier today.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you're new, I recommend sticking with a single class. Don't over-complicate things.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

not familiar with 5e, but generally speaking, pick stuff that lets you play the character the way you wanna play it. that being said, whats the action economy like? cos it sounds like you're adding a new set of abilities. that's fine, but are these abilities ones you'll be wanting to use at the same time you'll wanna use others? if so, you'll need to decide whether the opportunity to use those abilities is worth not enhancing the abilities you have.

and, something maroot told me about how he designs encounters that stuck with me: the person in the party who is best at something sets the curve. if a high roll on a high bonus is required and you're giving up pumping your bonuses, you might need a nat 20 to make rolls you could previously get with a 17 or 18, and some might no longer be do-able.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Level 3 of monk is pretty good.

In 5E, you're far far better off waiting until 5-6 before dipping into other classes. You'll have an opportunity to figure out a way to explain your choice that fits the narrative and understand monk a bit better.

Things you will be missing on monk if you drop 2 levels into lock instead right now:

Ability Score + or Feat at Level 4 - Huge way to bump your saves and checks. +1 to top stat gets your 18 (+3) and one to a lower stat gets you 14 (+2). Your scores are abnormally high to begin with so you may want to look at feats instead.

Monastic Tradition at Level 3- Essentially your spec. You use this to define your monkiness. Huge huge bonuses and narrative inputs come from this.

Slowfall at Level 4 - Less splat

Also, you'll be delaying getting to 5 which gets you an extra attack per action and ki-empowered strikes at 6 which makes all your strikes magical (Good for killing things immune to normal attacks)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag