+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    not familiar with 5e, but generally speaking, pick stuff that lets you play the character the way you wanna play it. that being said, whats the action economy like? cos it sounds like you're adding a new set of abilities. that's fine, but are these abilities ones you'll be wanting to use at the same time you'll wanna use others? if so, you'll need to decide whether the opportunity to use those abilities is worth not enhancing the abilities you have.

and, something maroot told me about how he designs encounters that stuck with me: the person in the party who is best at something sets the curve. if a high roll on a high bonus is required and you're giving up pumping your bonuses, you might need a nat 20 to make rolls you could previously get with a 17 or 18, and some might no longer be do-able.
    Close! The person who is *second* best in the party sets the curve when it comes to combat; the person who is best sets the curve in non-combat situations. Like, I don't care who the second-best diplomat is, or who the second-best trapfinder is, but I very much care who the second-best combatant is. There's usually one person who is WAY better than everyone else, and then a cluster in the middle. They're the ones who should be hitting with a 15~ on a hard fight, or on a 12 on a relatively standard fight. I usually work out averages for combat, and drop the high and the low players when I figure out my averages (after buffs that the party typically puts on), and then design AC around that. Then I figure out how much damage the party does in an average round based on that AC (and saves, if there's a DD mage in the group, noting that ranged touch or touch attacks shift who has the lowest Attack-to-hit), figure out how many rounds I want the combat to be, and *beep*, there's hit points. Reverse the process-- get the average ACs after buffs, work out their HP (and curative ability; my Healers are no joke), and again build around it. It generally means that whether my group is power-gaming like mad or completely vanilla-gaming it, the encounter will be similarly difficult.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Basically, I agree with what Bane and Zet said in that the first thing to consider in a character is what sounds fun and you shouldn't sacrifice that for power-gaming. That being said, playing a character that lags behind the rest of the party in terms of power can feel frustrating and frustration is the enemy of fun. I would say follow Zet's advice and play monk a bit more. Get a better feel for it and get some of it's more powerful features before looking to branch out.

If and when you do decide to MC(I would recommend after 6 when you get the shadow teleport thing), look carefully at which class best synergizes with your monk abilities. You may find that there are things other classes have to offer that would be more valuable than that one Warlock spell. Personally, something I've always wanted to do but haven't had a chance to is go Way of Shadow Monk then dip into Rogue to sneak attack people from the shadows followed by a flurry or just your natural 3 attacks. Pummel bitches like Nightcrawler at the beginning of X-2.

Edit: The title of this thread is still trash. Mods pls.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Me and our rogue rolled 5 nat 20's then a nat 19, all in a row, to tame two Gryphons.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

lol nice

my gf and i died in our RL campaign. we're gonna be able to revive the characters, but with no gear, so we're gonna retire them. works out cos our builds were kinda wonky but imma miss the characters.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Me and our rogue rolled 5 nat 20's then a nat 19, all in a row, to tame two Gryphons.
    Nice.

lol nice

my gf and i died in our RL campaign. we're gonna be able to revive the characters, but with no gear, so we're gonna retire them. works out cos our builds were kinda wonky but imma miss the characters.
    At least you died together? lol

My little group of 4 is currently running two campaigns which we trade off between whenever we complete a mission/arc.

The first is a sci-fi sandbox campaign using the N.E.W. branch of the W.O.I.N. system. I'm playing a character that started out as a joke about trying to create the most boring PC. He's called John Johnson and is a former accountant who became a starship pilot after a mid-life crisis. One of the fun things about our crew has been that we don't believe in having a captain, but we know people expect there to be a single person to deal with, so whenever we have to talk to people outside the ship for business, we draw straws to figure out who's going to be captain this time.

The second is a 5E campaign in a homebrew setting where devils have conquered the prime material. I'm playing a half-elf hexblade warlock. We started at 5th level since we all agreed that low level D&D is kinda lame and we wanted to play at an accelerated pace since the campaign probably won't last long. Our monk rolled amazing stats, one 18, multiple +3s, and no negative modifiers... except for one, which was like a -3. Since we were starting at 5th, we all got to start with a magic item and his ended up being an amulet that makes your Con score 19, so he put the -3 into Con. We've been having a lot of fun joking about what's going to happen when something steals that amulet or we walk into an anti-magic field or something.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

So my weekly campaign is going REALLY well.

The troublemaker that I had previously mentioned hasn't been back since Christmas. His Tuesday players told me they haven't heard a word from him either.

Now that he's not there to slow everything down we've been making a lot of progress and having fun.

I have pumped us up to a level 4 renown in our campaign area by going to the Bard College and singing limericks and poems about our mage.

Here's an example:

Hark, listen close as I spin you the tale
    Of Malavar the bold whose name sets some pale
    He strode up the stairs without nary a care
    And tamed us two gryphons to fly in the air.
    He cast and he slay as only Malavar can do
    He held in his laughter when Erdon strayed in poo
    Oh what a man, what a mage, what a master
    When he’s part of you party, there’s never disaster

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yes I write 2-3 limericks or poems per session and I get advantage a LOT because of it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

lol, i'm playing a bard in one of maroot's games, gonna have to start doing that sort of thing for my Inspire Courage and whatnot.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

lol, i'm playing a bard in one of maroot's games, gonna have to start doing that sort of thing for my Inspire Courage and whatnot.
    It is my group's favorite thing. Our wizard is getting super duper famous and our rogue is being maligned as a buffoon. The best part is that the rogue and I do ALL the damage most of the time and the wizard ends up on the floor like 80% of the time. I'm being careful that the rogue is ok with it before I do it, he thinks it's fucking hilarious.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Shhhh. Shhhh. Furniture doesn't post.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Only one of my characters is furniture!

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

It appears Team Four Star is streaming some D&D. Pretty funny.
    Link for people who may want to watch the VoD later.
    https://www.twitch.tv/streamfourstar

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I beat an ancient red dragon in a limerick battle on Ysgard. Won a "wish".

I was GOING to wish for our wizard to be restored to his original form (A long-running joke that wouldn't really change the campaign too much) but the DM retconned this "wish" being Wish and said I had to ask for something specific and it wasn't the spell.

I asked for a legendary weapon/item, unrivaled in power.

What did I receive, you ask?

The Eye of Vecna.

I'm a 6 Barb / 1 Bard.

Time to cast disintegration and get mind controlled.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I don't play D&D at all. I'm not really familiar with anything that goes with it other then having seen Harmon Quest. However, I have a friend who's pretty into it and has gone on to start a kickstarter for a "5E player character notebook". So I figured I'd help him out and post the link here for anyone who might be interested in something like this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...acter-notebook

Check it out. Or don't. Live your own lives.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Assuming that CA$ means canadabux, that's not a bad price. I have a binder already with dry erase stuff but this is a pretty sweet setup. Nice heavy stock on the character sheet with laminating.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah, my buddy and I live in Vancouver so I assume every figure is in Canadian Dollars, so at a nice discount for you yanks. As for the book itself, I really don't know anything about it myself lol. But if you do have questions, I'm sure he has contact info on the kickstarter and would happy field any sort of questions you may have!

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I sat down and played a real game of D&D for the first time, albeit truncated, a couple weeks ago. I only had about an hour, but it was a pre-made module. I was an Orc Barbarian named Angry Dave. At one point our wizard cast a spell that made me a giant and I fought a swamp dragon face-to-face. It was excellent, I'm sorry I had to cut it short but from what I understand it turns out the princess we were rescuing was the real vampire the whole time.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Oldest trick in the realm, friend.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Yeah, my buddy and I live in Vancouver so I assume every figure is in Canadian Dollars, so at a nice discount for you yanks. As for the book itself, I really don't know anything about it myself lol. But if you do have questions, I'm sure he has contact info on the kickstarter and would happy field any sort of questions you may have!
    Must be a terrible life to live.

I'm look at that kickstarter tho and I fucking love it. Gonna look into it and might drop down for me and the wife. Def gonna share it with the old Enterprise D&D group.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag