1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -14 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    I could easily be wrong about my theories regarding the effects of Gathering/Output/Perception... but I did a little tiny test. If your gear really makes a difference regarding how many attempts you get at any exhaustible gathering point, it's probably from the Gathering stat. Also, I really doubt that these three stats would have different effects on the different Disciples of the Land.

At Rank-21 Fisher, full gear, I can get 3 attempts at a Grade-3 school of fish. If I strip off every piece of Output/Perception gear (aside from Weathered Fishing Rod), leaving my Gathering stat the same, I still get 3 attempts.

I'll test again when I come across a fresh Grade-3 spot for Output and Perception to make the experiment complete. It's just, assuming being naked would drop my attempts by at least 1, this would suggest what "Gathering +#" might do for you.

This would suggest that either none of these stats affect the # of attempts, or my gear is not supplying an amount large enough to break from 3 to 4 and my raw rank is barely pushing me into the 3 threshold.
    If you upgraded to say an "iron fishing rod" your attempts would shoot up to 6 total. I have two plummed pickaxe's and two iron ones. At 26 my iron allows me 6 attempts at rank 3 nodes, and my plummed allows me 4 total.

Weapon seems to be the biggest variable. I mine in a Velvteen Tabard. So gear penalty is minimal at best.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I know from doing rank 20 leves that you can get obsidian from grade 3 in La Noscea. But is it more common in other areas?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

What level do you think is high enough to try grade 3 mining spots ? I've been doing Grade 2 for a few days, at lv15 now and kinda bored running around the Drybone zone.

Thanks ^^v

I don't think it's really worth it until you can get at least 3 attempts per node, which will vary depending on your level and equipment. Thanalan is pretty bad for mining though. La Noscea and The Black Shroud have points a lot closer together, and it's much easier to find 3 points near each other.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Drybone is awful for mining. I've been doing it for zinc as it seems to be more common there. Even at 18 I'll be there as I still need zinc. La Noscea is definitely the place to be for skill, but the drops are shit compared to Thanalan, at least in grade 2. That's why I was asking about obsidian earlier.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Yeah, Drybone is definately A LOT of running :/ I'll try La Noscea tomorrow...

Anyone have any theories as to what the "Exposed Ore" slider might influence?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

as with all the crafts it affects the % chances of what is where in the point.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Obsidian is overly present in the black shroud rank 3~

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    as with all the crafts it affects the % chances of what is where in the point.
    Maybe I missed this, but what areas of the slider yield what types of items?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'll use fishing for an example, as usual.

Imagine this is the main mining/fishing/botany mini-game gauge divided into imaginary segments.

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|

Now, assume I'm using the center of the "depth" slider.

When I catch a Crayfish, I'll find that the sweet spot that catches it is always between 3 and 7.
    When I catch a Brass Loach, I'll find that the sweet spot that catches it is always between 5 and 8.
    When I catch a Rainbow Trout, I'll find that the sweet spot that catches it is always between 1 and 5.
    So on and so forth.

(focusing your first hit in a specific area of the gauge seems to increase your opportunity to catch whatever tends to reside in said area)

Now, if I were to screw with the depth slider, all these values would shift in the same direction (which direction, I don't know). Whether they loop around to the other side of the gauge when they get pushed off or whether the slider can actually make some items unobtainable has yet to be seen.

There's still a lot to be figured out regarding these slider gauges.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Can I get zinc ore from grade 3 in Thanalan or just grade 2?

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I found limestone quarrying in bloodshore. tried to synth it just alone by itself but nothing happened. Anyone else have ideas? Its frustrating to hear that Thanlan's grade 3 points are set up poorly because I really prefer the drops there.

Quote Originally Posted by manako View Post
    I found limestone quarrying in bloodshore. tried to synth it just alone by itself but nothing happened. Anyone else have ideas? Its frustrating to hear that Thanlan's grade 3 points are set up poorly because I really prefer the drops there.
    What does Horizon even have? I get iron/silver/obsidian 80% of the time at Bloodshore.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qpoiuwer View Post
    What does Horizon even have? I get iron/silver/obsidian 80% of the time at Bloodshore.
    I have not done a lot of mining in grade 3 areas yet, aside from guildleves but I do seem to get a lot more silver and bone in Thanalan versus more Iron in La Noscea. Seeing as I am doing goldsmithing the iron ores are useless to me, I typically give them away to lsmates.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

horizon i get zinc, silver, yellow copper, gemstones(lapis, sunstones, and others)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Could someone explain this "fatigue" thing? I'm not talking about surplus/bonus skill points. I'm talking when I mine for a while I start breaking a lot of things.

And I just got to rank 20, but I didn't get tier 3 scanner/quickening. How do I get this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Could someone explain this "fatigue" thing? I'm not talking about surplus/bonus skill points. I'm talking when I mine for a while I start breaking a lot of things.

And I just got to rank 20, but I didn't get tier 3 scanner/quickening. How do I get this?
    6000 guild points.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    There is a gathering fatigue that is different from the surplus/bonus system that docks your SP/EXP. After you've been gathering for an amount of time, you will start to one-hit fail items occasionally (items that you should have zero problems digging up). If you keep pushing, you'll get more failures. I don't think anyone knows the specific details of how/when it goes away. Usually when I log out of the night, I can come back to about 2 hours of gathering before it sets back in.

Just started on grade 4 nodes. With enough +output (between 51-54) you can get 4 hits on a grade 4 node at level 28. The higher-ranked items are REALLY tough to pull up yet, so far I've just started but all I can do is damage them, and not extract. I think the new items we're looking at is mythril, gold sand, and raw heliodors.

The 2 grade 4 locations I know of are near Horizon (Nephica's Wells) and near Cederwood outside of LL. I just haven't gotten there yet, but I believe there is grade 4 in Corthias, and presumably somewhere in The Black Shroud. Anyone know which camps for those?

EDIT: I may take back what I said about new drops in grade 4. So far I haven't seen any items (other than raw heliodor) outside of a levequest, and in fact the leve area where you get HQ mythril from doesn't seem to have any normal mining spots.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    There is a gathering fatigue that is different from the surplus/bonus system that docks your SP/EXP. After you've been gathering for an amount of time, you will start to one-hit fail items occasionally (items that you should have zero problems digging up). If you keep pushing, you'll get more failures. I don't think anyone knows the specific details of how/when it goes away. Usually when I log out of the night, I can come back to about 2 hours of gathering before it sets back in.

Just started on grade 4 nodes. With enough +output (between 51-54) you can get 4 hits on a grade 4 node at level 28. The higher-ranked items are REALLY tough to pull up yet, so far I've just started but all I can do is damage them, and not extract. I think the new items we're looking at is mythril, gold sand, and raw heliodors.

The 2 grade 4 locations I know of are near Horizon (Nephica's Wells) and near Cederwood outside of LL. I just haven't gotten there yet, but I believe there is grade 4 in Corthias, and presumably somewhere in The Black Shroud. Anyone know which camps for those?
    There are Grade 4 in Coerthas near camp glory, I got a florite there at 15 while exploring. There is also a Grade 5 area North of Skull valley I was able to dig up 1 item there at 17. I hope to get rank 18 tonight.. that is Prospect III right.. you just need to buy Lay of the Land III?

I have gotten raw aquamarine in Bloodshore during leves, which would be the blue version of a heliodor. I have only gotten Heliodors by HQing yellow quartz