1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 6 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 22 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 11 hours, 6 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by qpoiuwer View Post
    6000 guild points.
    Oh man, are you sure? I knew tier 4 was bought with points but I didn't know 3 is too. I've done every mining 20 leve since I was able to and only one gave me points.
    By the time I save up 6000 I'll be needing the tier 4 one.

And thanks for that post Jamison. I guess we should try documenting this to figure out how it works. I seem to get it after about 3 hours of mining. It's a shitty system, I don't even know why it's in the game. Other disciplines don't have it.

Edit: Actually, I've never seen mining marks, as I have 0.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

you learn lay of the land 3 at 18

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Lay of the Land/Arbor Call/Gulleye IV is most likely Rank-24. 23 and still nothin'.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

and purchased with marks? got lucky and got another mark leve at this reset

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Wouldn't tier IV be rank 28?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Aw fuck, they are in 10-rank increments? What a crock o' shit. I can reliably fish in Grade-4/5 waters now, but I can't even use Gulleye for schools of fish past Grade-3.

I still got like 55,000 skill points to go until I can even get access to Rank~30 Fieldcraft leves... Not to mention I've been sitting at ~5,000 Guild Marks and for over a week now, waiting for leve rewards to not suck.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I'm just basing it off the list of abilities that people posted for each class before the game was released. The scanning abilities seemed to be X8, while the ones that give quickening seemed to be X0. But it seems the ones that give quickening are bought with marks. Some of the ability lists are wrong however, even on my own website. I should fix that lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, you only naturally learn tier I and II of Triangulate/Prospect/Dowse... tier III and so on you have to purchase. However, Arbor Call/Lay of the Land/Gulleye are all learned naturally. I guess I was confused mostly by the odd number rank at which you learn Dowse for the first time, which is one that doesn't line up with the 10-rank increments. (Dowse is learned at Rank-3) Man, I hope this shit isn't inconsistent between the three different gathering classes, I'm going to get all confused.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Yeah, you only naturally learn tier I and II of Triangulate/Prospect/Dowse... tier III and so on you have to purchase. However, Arbor Call/Lay of the Land/Gulleye are all learned naturally. I guess I was confused mostly by the odd number rank at which you learn Dowse for the first time, which is one that doesn't line up with the 10-rank increments. (Dowse is learned at Rank-3) Man, I hope this shit isn't inconsistent between the three different gathering classes, I'm going to get all confused.
    Lay of the Land IV was 28, Prospect IV didn't have a level (just needed guild marks and first class quest completed). I'm assuming LotL V and VI are 38 and 48, respectively. I think one difference between fishing and mining is that until 28 you cannot reliably do anything at grade 4, while it sounds like with fishing that is a bit easier.

(Edit: Prospect IV didn't need a level requirement to purchase, although in the item description it does say 30. I've been using it under 30 with no problems).

BTW, any zone that has multiple grade nodes (like Western Thanalan) is hax for running around. Just use the Prospect for the part of the zone you aren't in, and Quick will always activate.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

That's a good tip with Prospect. Normally when I get the next tier I'd remove the previous one from my bar and replace it with the new one. Depending on how fast I get marks I may get Prospect IV before III. I can see my MIN reaching 28 before I get enough marks for III at this rate...

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

My impressions of grade 4 so far: frustrating

I would agree with who have said that unless you have enough output to start getting 4 hits per node, it very well may be worth it to stick with grade 3 a little while longer. Still, a personal choice, I had 4 hits and I enjoyed exploring for new areas. Thing is, even with pretty good gear, at level 28/29 you aren't going to be getting any of the grade 4 ores (mythril, gold sand) because they will all be one-hit fails. You will start finding the lvl 39 raw jems (Heliodor/Goshinite/etc) though.

Right now, I'm not even bothering to repair any of my gear. Even at 75/100%, I'm not extracting the rare stuff, and all the other stuff is relatively easy anyways. There's virtually no access to the mid-30's gathering gear, because there's no raptor sinew to be had. So I'm just going to wait till 31 or 32, repair everything up, and see what happens then.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hey Jamison are you sure that gear damage will effect the bonus stats on gear? Reason I ask is because yesterday I noticed I had cotton work gloves with 1 durability left and I had 51 output. I unequipped them and had 44 output to fix them. Once they got repaired and fixed and re-equipped I had 51 output again. So that lead me to believe that the only piece of gear that would of needed to be repaired would be your tools since their main stats are output, perception, and gathering. Other gear like your body piece or gloves the main stats are defense, evasion, etc. Am I missing something here?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Liabo View Post
    Hey Jamison are you sure that gear damage will effect the bonus stats on gear? Reason I ask is because yesterday I noticed I had cotton work gloves with 1 durability left and I had 51 output. I unequipped them and had 44 output to fix them. Once they got repaired and fixed and re-equipped I had 51 output again. So that lead me to believe that the only piece of gear that would of needed to be repaired would be your tools since their main stats are output, perception, and gathering. Am I missing something here?
    Are you meeting Cotton Work Gloves' "optimal rank?"

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Are you meeting Cotton Work Gloves' "optimal rank?"
    Yes the gloves are level 17 and I am a level 28 miner. The gloves are for all classes.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sorry to Double post but just coming home, my feet have about 75% damage and here is some screen shots for proof.

Here is an image with my dodoskin feet with 75% damage equipped
    http://pathos-ls.com/ffxiv/equipped.png

And here is an image with it not equipped.
    http://pathos-ls.com/ffxiv/unequipped.png

As you can see I lost 5 skill which is what the feet give. Seems regardless of the durability.
    Sorry if the images are big don't know how to make a good resize in paint.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Nearly 27 Miner now, getting the hang of a lot of things.

I am realizing that items in a node can vary within the same region. For example south of Bloodshore you get Suntellins, Sea Sand, etc. in place of the Silver ore/sand you would get north of the camp.

Also the slider is definitely a big deal in getting the items you want. I'm getting Silver ore/sand constantly by placing the slider 1-2 notches from the top in the areas where it can be found.

Question: How long is everyone able to go before the fatigue sets in and you start blowing up 9/10 strikes on the first hit? I went 3 hours (roughly 20k exp) last night near Bloodshore before it got ridiculous and I had to quit. I assume this is an anti-gil farming mechanism as it's separate from experience point surplus; someone in LS compared it to Chocobo Digging or Fishing fatigue from FFXI (which I'm not familiar with, never did either).

EDIT: Nald'thal's Ward, has anyone tried this yet? Ive had terrible luck getting leves with marks thus far so am still shy of buying it. I am very curious as to how often this procs and how many crystals it produces, as with the way crystal and shard prices seem to be on a constant rise having Nald'thal's Ward may be a better money maker than actually pulling up ores.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Liabo -

I really don't know much about the effects of damaged gear yet. Interesting info from your screenshots! Here are the few thoughts I have on the subject:

• I've read one post on another forum where a guy said his max number of attempts on a node went down after some gear damage, and went back up after repairs, with no other changes. While I don't doubt this technically possible, the combination of level/gear/damage where you are right on an edge like that is, IMO, probably pretty small. I've no personal experience to back this up or disprove myself.
    • Regardless if the "numbers" change with gear damage or not, I don't think it will ever show you those altered numbers in game. For example, +1 items don't show different stats, but are still generally accepted to have some bonus attached to them. As a numbers guy, I find that a little annoying.
    • I had for most of rank 29, just let my gear wear down to 0 durability - the pickaxe not withstanding. I just wasn't getting any needed advantage (what was hard was too hard, what was easy was too easy) and the cost was nowhere near worth it.
    • That being said, now I'm continuing through r30, pickaxe is closer to 70%, and I'm sometimes 2-hit failing mythril ore. I've nowhere near enough of a sample size, but my limited experience was that when duribility was closer to 100%, 2 successful hits would always extract the ore. Next time in town I'm going to try and get it repaired to 100% again to compare... unfortunately I haven't found too many on my server who can do the repairs.
    • Not directly related to gear damage, but at r30 I was finally able to succeed on the occasional mythril ore or gold sand, something I believe (but could be wrong) other miners have had to wait until 31 to do. Given that our stats have to be nearly identical, the only thing I can potentially chalk that up to is the Polished Iron Pickaxe +1 (or maybe, but less likely IMO, the 4, +5 stat rings I'm wearing).

I've read others say that 20k is about the cap before fatigue sets in, and that lines up pretty well with my own experiences. "LennyDee" on core has been trying to track the numbers, and it looks like it drops off something like 20% every three hours or so... he says 20 hours (as the long end) was a full reset, so that could be less, maybe 15(?). These numbers are VERY approximate.

The few people I know who have gotten a ward for crystals have said it doesn't seem to be working. It's either outright broken, or still dependent on something else (perhaps level/grade/stats). IMO, best to get something else for now. Guild marks only get easier as you get higher in rank.

Edit: r30 miner quest. bleh. not hard or anything, just a tooooon of running around for what is, imo, not even that interesting of a story. I'm liking FFXIV's storytelling conventions less and less as time goes on, this sh!t better pick up and get good soon! I mostly just wanted the guild marks. Finishing the mission unlocked two more guild-mark purchasable abilities (I think the ones that were 10k each?).

Edited to remove (spoilerize) some seemingly odd numbers that I couldn't explain at the time. Turns out it because I was underleveled on my pickaxe things weren't adding up.

Spoiler: show

More thoughts on numbers....

Now I'm a bit confused. I didn't want to scratch out everything I posed above, but here are some numbers I don't know how to explain. Maybe it's something simple... at least I hope so. The P. Iron Pickaxe +1 should be giving me 55 gathering, 49 output and 43 scanning. Yet my stats, with *nothing else* equipped is only 48 gathering, 43 output and 38 perception. My pickaxe is at 65%, which I'm perfectly willing to believe is causing the diminished stats.

But at Liabo has screenshotted above (and I've also confirmed) all other gear, *regardless of durability* still adds their full stats to your attribute screen. So, is the attribute screen wrong? Or doesn't damage on gear (other than the primary tool) matter at all?

Something to think about!

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

This isn't my work but I did find it incredibly helpful. It's a guide to gathering and what you can find at each grade (up to 3) in each zone for all DoL.

tl;dr bit of interest: mining nodes have a possible loot pool containing 5 items; each node keeps that same loot pool until it collapses (the possible gets are listed in the link) and you can gather the same thing more than once but if that node doesn't contain something there is no chance to get it.

i can't post urls..... can i PM someone the link?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

You mean this right?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203

Edit: Those theories definitely sound correct from my experiences of mining.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    More thoughts on numbers....

Now I'm a bit confused. I didn't want to scratch out everything I posed above, but here are some numbers I don't know how to explain. Maybe it's something simple... at least I hope so. The P. Iron Pickaxe +1 should be giving me 55 gathering, 49 output and 43 scanning. Yet my stats, with *nothing else* equipped is only 48 gathering, 43 output and 38 perception. My pickaxe is at 65%, which I'm perfectly willing to believe is causing the diminished stats.

But at Liabo has screenshotted above (and I've also confirmed) all other gear, *regardless of durability* still adds their full stats to your attribute screen. So, is the attribute screen wrong? Or doesn't damage on gear (other than the primary tool) matter at all?

Something to think about!
    To me it makes sense. I think gear damage only effects the main stats of the item. For all armor i've seen the main stats are things like defense, etc. The gathering and other stats are under a line; Ill call these bonus stats. On our tools though gathering, output, perception/scanning are the main stats which would make sense perhaps why they are lower since your pickaxe is broken. Also with my iron crosspien hammer +1 while you can't see what the plus one gives by just looking at it. I had a nq and the +1 100% health and the +1 gave about 1-3 more on each stat when I equipped it. When I get home from class I will go repair my hammer to 100% and then compare the stats listed on my hammer vs stats I actually get when equipped.

Also if you are not level 32 yet, then the polished pickaxe you have wouldn't be giving you the max stats on it regardless. Which adds more confusion to this ;p

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast