1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 15 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 8 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 1 hours, 15 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dyes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Dyes

http://db.ffxivarchives.com/item/10010001

Is there an easier way to find dyes such as this? It's the pseudo-cockblock in my current recipe and while I could level Alchemy to obtain it, I would prefer to focus on my main crafts. Apologies if this is duplicative.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

most crafts are like this, you level weaver but for that one recipe you need leatherworker sub at level 5 but along with that you need an item that is made from lv11 alch made with a mat noone has seen yet... (humus anyone?)

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

oh yes dyes. /dies
    I even think SE has to adjust this somehow (better drops?) because even hemphen dyes are rare (and expensive) as heck.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you have a botanist, miner and alchemist around lvl 12-is, you will be swimming in at least taube, black and grey dye. The problem is the !@#$% flax flowers!!!
    Not only are people price gouging for flax (8-15k for ONE) but the oil it makes get used by all the dye and alot of weapon recipes.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Flax is overly expensive I agree, but 4 Flax goes along way. 4 flax makes 12 oils. 1 oil + 1 bug makes 12 dyes. So 144 dye from 4 flax. I found it rather easy to get flax from Roselings in the Black Shroud.

Bugs are super easy to get, 1 hour of spearfishing or quarrying and you will have way more than needed.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I hear ya, I was able to fight roselings and flies in black shroud and lanosca but I swear overnight people started camping these things like they were mini-fafnirs....
    So I move to kill stuff for wind/lightning shards and.....LaNosca is completly void of sheep, jellies and puks lol

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Flax is overly expensive I agree, but 4 Flax goes along way. 4 flax makes 12 oils. 1 oil + 1 bug makes 12 dyes. So 144 dye from 4 flax. I found it rather easy to get flax from Roselings in the Black Shroud.

Bugs are super easy to get, 1 hour of spearfishing or quarrying and you will have way more than needed.
    Wish the dyer's moss were as easy to get Think the bugs are only for leather dyes, the dyer's moss is for cloth dyes. I've heard people saying they've gotten the moss from botany nodes, though I'm up to 11 BOT and have yet to snag a single one.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I got roughly 8 Slate grey dyers moss after I hit 13 bot, I think the chances to get rare items from harvesting increases as your lvl goes up. Also, only certain nodes will give moss and a certain color at that. I got all my grey moss from one node in lanosca.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Chrystolis View Post
    Wish the dyer's moss were as easy to get Think the bugs are only for leather dyes, the dyer's moss is for cloth dyes. I've heard people saying they've gotten the moss from botany nodes, though I'm up to 11 BOT and have yet to snag a single one.
    Grade 2 nodes outside of Ul'dah. Botany.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by MitsurugiMyc View Post
    I got roughly 8 Slate grey dyers moss after I hit 13 bot, I think the chances to get rare items from harvesting increases as your lvl goes up. Also, only certain nodes will give moss and a certain color at that. I got all my grey moss from one node in lanosca.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Grade 2 nodes outside of Ul'dah. Botany.
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    BG Level

The problem isn't getting the dye. It's fairly easy. The problem isn't with dying leather, it's dying cloth. You need x1 dye to make x1 dyed cloth. That's just crazy. With leather you do x1 dye for x4 leather. Add to this that most recipes require MULTIPLE dyed cloths to make gear. As it stands now you're better off buying dyed hempen cloth than making your own unless there's a way to make multiple cloths using x1 dye. It's just cheaper shard/material wise to buy them at 2k a pop than to make them.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by CrstyCptSteveWitherspoon View Post
    The problem isn't getting the dye. It's fairly easy. The problem isn't with dying leather, it's dying cloth. You need x1 dye to make x1 dyed cloth. That's just crazy. With leather you do x1 dye for x4 leather. Add to this that most recipes require MULTIPLE dyed cloths to make gear. As it stands now you're better off buying dyed hempen cloth than making your own unless there's a way to make multiple cloths using x1 dye. It's just cheaper shard/material wise to buy them at 2k a pop than to make them.
    Dunno...with getting 12 dyes per craft, if you had a few of the dyer's mosses you could easily be set for awhile. Even 36-48 dye is a good bit of cloth. Would be nice if it were a setup similar to leather though.

Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    BG Level

My complaint is only it's a time sink/waste of shards compared to leather craft.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So you're telling me I shouldn't have NPC'ed those Flax huh... Well fuck me

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Crizto View Post
    So you're telling me I shouldn't have NPC'ed those Flax huh... Well fuck me
    No you shouldnt have, have seen them in bazaars for 10-15k, npc sells for 18k

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

What are the +1/2/3s worth in bazaars? I have a load of flax at different qualities. As a crafter myself however I don't think I'd pay much more for a +1/2/3.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'd pay more to ensure the success of the craft and for the chance to HQ whatever I'm crafting from them. I always buy HQ moko grass for the shot at HQing the fibers, so I can make colored cloth with 100% certainty. I'd do the same thing with nuggets, ingots and plates if I could. Paying an extra 3-4k to ensure a tough craft that you could potentially sell for tens of thousands is just savvy operating.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Oh right. I heard that HQ materials make it hard to complete the synth due to them starting at a higher quality, so that put me off them.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Nah, the more HQ mats you have when starting, the higher the base durability and quality of the item. Sometimes all you need to finish a tough craft is another 10 durability, and starting the extra is a big help in those cases.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Hah, well I was looking forward to selling all this flax I've just collected, but it turns out carpenters use a lot of linseed oil as well. I'd best keep it.

Edit: What's a good level to make the oil? I'd hate to waste flax.

Edit2: Flax is stupidly cheap on Wutai. There's a guy selling a dozen at 2k each.