+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just moved to Austin, seeking employment and maybe even some friends

So, I just moved to Austin. I had to get the hell out of Alabama and finally just moved. I have savings to keep me supported for a reasonable amount of time, but it would be nice if I could get a job so I didn't have to use said savings.

So, is anyone here from Austin and hiring? I'm really looking to career swap, and for the most part I really don't care what career. I figure any job I could actually maybe possible get from a BG connection would be introduction level anyways, and I am completely fine with a ground floor job with the possibility of rising up the ladder in the years to come if I end up liking it. Brief resume (full available upon request) - BA in German with a minor in math. Done a ton of things in past jobs ranging including sushi chef, systems administrator for A&S at the University of Alabama, wine salesperson, math tutor, and was even a mechanic in high school, but I tend to like the jobs with people interaction more and I actually don't despise retail like apparently everyone here does.

Since I doubt anyone is actually hiring, can anyone here recommend the must do Austin things for me while I seek employment elsewhere? I'm going to ACL next weekend so I figure that's a good start, but what about non music festival things?

Ridill
    BG Level

Are you a smart, intelligent, hard working, and rational person?

If so, why did you move to Texas?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

If all else fails you could try Austin State Supported Living Center. 1,957/month as an MRA1, You help people with disabilities live a independent life. There is also an activities coordinator who set up activities for the residence on campus. Just go to the campus off 35th and Mopac to fill out an application. You're guaranteed a job and + there is tons of overtime.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Are you a smart, intelligent, hard working, and rational person?

If so, why did you move to Texas?
    I think it's because Alabama is Texas's Mississippi.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Craigslist is a good way to meet people.

BG, find new friends online for your offline.

Quote Originally Posted by sephir View Post
    I think it's because Alabama is Texas's Mississippi.
    It's because Austin isn't really texas.

Ugh double post.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Texas is a great place to live. If it wasn't for the news I wouldn't know there was a recession going on. No state income tax is another reason I love Texas.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

yea, most likely you raided your lasts friends guildbank and now you wanna start fresh.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    yea, most likely you raided your lasts friends guildbank and now you wanna start fresh.
    I think this is the first time you've made me laugh, but holy hell it was a good one.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by freemason View Post
    Texas is a great place to live. If it wasn't for the news I wouldn't know there was a recession going on. No state income tax is another reason I love Texas.

AHAHAHAHAAAAAA

we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

as far as it goes though, i think austin is the only liberal voting city in the fuck of a huge state

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yes it is. Spent MORE than enough time in and around Texas to know how that shit hole works, just be wary of the "grass is greener" syndrome, you get that shit bad if you talk to anyone from Texas. You'll also notice that because of its size, that not many Texans have actually left they state so to them all they know is Texas, which is why it seems like paradise to them. In most states 6 hours in one direction and you can cross your state or several states, there a 6 or 10 hour trip is just a weekend getaway to El Paso coming from East Texas

My dad's entire side of the family is from Alabama, so I feel you and congratulate you on your move, just take it all in stride. Texans come off as prideful and redneckish because they know nothing else. You have to think of them like Tom Green's character (Barry Manilow) in Road Trip, all they know is Texas (Ithica) so it can get aggravating over time lol. Spent far too much time there to know.

we fuckin' stole it man.
    BG Level

all i remember about austin when i was there was eating at a place called chuey's(sp might be wrong), and they had "BIG AS YO FACE" burritos. for some tex mex food though, that shit was goooooooooooooooooood

Reminds me of Moe's big ass overpriced Homewreckers
    http://k43.pbase.com/g1/34/611334/2/...5.kmn2xSys.jpg

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franzer View Post
    as far as it goes though, i think austin is the only liberal voting city in the fuck of a huge state
    Actually, the major population centers (Dallas, Houston, and Austin) all tend to vote pretty liberally. Unfortunately it's the smaller cities and towns and middle-of-nowhere that keep Texas red. Only 56% of the state voted for McCain in 2008 though, so at least it's progress..

Austin is a great city, I loved being there for the past 5 years. Unfortunately had to move away this summer.. That said, it's a terrible place to find a job. Since it is a college town and one of the more popular cities in Texas, there's tons of people moving there to look for a job. Also, if you don't know anyone, it's gonna be even harder. I got a job thanks to the people I knew -- found out about an opening before anyone else and was able to be the first one to apply and with someone to vouch for me.

As far as things to do, depends on what you're in to, and I dunno how helpful I'd be on that since I just got into my own routines when I lived there. I can try to help though, and can definitely provide restaurant/bar recommendations if you need any~

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yet Rick Perry continues to polite the state with his red neck filth and bullshit... Bill White or gtfo.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Austin is a great city, I loved being there for the past 5 years. Unfortunately had to move away this summer.. That said, it's a terrible place to find a job. Since it is a college town and one of the more popular cities in Texas, there's tons of people moving there to look for a job. Also, if you don't know anyone, it's gonna be even harder. I got a job thanks to the people I knew -- found out about an opening before anyone else and was able to be the first one to apply and with someone to vouch for me.
    Also this, which is why I laughed at the "wut recession" from the dude with the blinders on. Texas, just like any state is hit hard as well, it just depends on who you know and what sort of networking you can do. Its still better than Alabama in that regard, I mean if you came from there then everything else is a step up.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Franzer View Post
    all i remember about austin when i was there was eating at a place called chuey's(sp might be wrong), and they had "BIG AS YO FACE" burritos. for some tex mex food though, that shit was goooooooooooooooooood
    Chuy's! Several in Dallas too. Heard the ones in Austin are better though. Good place to eat if your pockets are tight. Probably the cheapest restaurant setting you could imagine. But then again, almost all Mexican food is cheap.