1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 30 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 8 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 1 hours, 30 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I guess I don't see how big the problem is because the only time I buy something from a ward is when I see a listing for it on YG. I search that for the item I want and then track down the retainer. I just wish people would be more specific about where their retainer is rather than just X or Y ward. Huge pain in the ones that have lots of retainers.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I also detest price gouging in the Market Wards. You browse 100 bazaars for the one item you need only to find out that when you finally find it, it's listed for 300-1000% more than its going rate. Sure, it may work occasionally if someone is desperate enough, but it also has the side effect deterring people away from the Market Wards altogether.

Another complaint I have is that 90% of the player base seem to think that about 30-50% of an items normal going rate is the fair price to pay for the item and the service of having it directly delivered to your inventory by someone else, through the Seek Item function.

So we have 20 people selling Lightning Crystals for 12k each in the Market Wards, and 200 people seeking Lighting Crystals for 1k each in their bazaars. In the end it's a huge waste of everyones time only for the occassional satisfaction of ripping someone off. I'm sure the opportunity to act out anti-social behaviour is near the top of the list of why people play online games in the first place, ironically. Average, young males make for such shitty communities.

90% of the retainers in the Market Wards are selling absolute junk. No, it's not because their good items already sold, that's another 3% who mix good items with junk. 90% only ever had junk there to begin with. SE made leves reward gil in the 10s of ks so no one would have to scrape for money by listing 10 items worth a total of 3k, but no SE, you can't take the retardation out of the people and you made a big mistake not realising this.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...6ZA2eUEU9G2kk=

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Well said Rammses, that's exactly why I don't use the wards to buy anything that isn't listed on YG. I gave up on the wards after seeing a ward full of fire shards that no one was buying due to people trying to rip people off. This is a bigger complaint than people selling in the wrong ward. I may occasionally look for cheap copper ore in the proper wards when I need lots but even that is going to stop because every retainer with it is listing it at three times the price NPCs will sell me it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammses View Post
    So we have 20 people selling Lightning Crystals for 12k each in the Market Wards, and 200 people seeking Lighting Crystals for 1k each in their bazaars. In the end it's a huge waste of everyones time only for the occassional satisfaction of ripping someone off. I'm sure the opportunity to act out anti-social behaviour is near the top of the list of why people play online games in the first place, ironically. Average, young males make for such shitty communities.
    Average, young males? Nah, I doubt they have the patience to deal with this game. Most of the players are 30+ year old people who jump from a MMORPG to another, so they know that the #1 priority in a new MMORPG is stockpiling as much currency as they can as early as possible.
    It's just economic basics... buy low sell high, which is much easier to do in a chaotic economy. They are simply taking advantage of the lack of an AH to maximize their gain, because odds are that some desperate crafter who doesn't have the patience to check every single retainer will eventually buy their Wind Shards 800 gil each.

Other than getting new weapons, I'm not buying anything anymore until the economy stabilizes. Besides most equipment looks ugly, half of the stats don't do anything, you can get certain DoH's to 50 in a reasonably short time without gear (not kidding, I've seen lots of gearless crafters 40+ on my server and they do just fine... who needs HQ's when you keep recipes for yourself and sell finished items 15 times the price you paid for mats?) and once the rank cap raises and new gear is introduced the current one won't be worth crap anymore.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I gave up on the wards after seeing a ward full of fire shards that no one was buying due to people trying to rip people off.
    Look. You look mad because you cannot find the shards for what you think is reasonable. Opinions will differ from players to players. The random crafter will think that 400g per wind shard is too expensive for example. However, if the retainer's owner is actually selling those, why would he lower the price? That is the good point of not having a price history. People will always find profit, carfters will always find buyers for overpriced gears, farmers will always find buyers for overpriced cristals.

I sell all the shards and cristals I get from grinding, and only that. Wasting a bazar slot for gear or random crap that sell for <100k in 4 days is totally not worth it. I NPC all the gears I bought before rank 30, because shit doesn't sell fast enough. I sell Wind, Fire, Thunder cristals for 4,000g , wind shards for 400g, Earth and Fire shards for 250g and others for ~150g. I am aware it is an excessive price, however, they do sale insanely fast for that price. Means some crafters out there do have tons of money; obviously not everyone will afford them for that price, but you still have the option to farm them, shards are the most common drops of the game. And if I happen to have too many shards I can't sell (like 2,000+ , usually thunder, ice, or water), I just lower the price to 100g per and it is guarranteed to sell withing the next few hours, making poor crafters happy.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by mdkuser View Post
    Look. You look mad because you cannot find the shards for what you think is reasonable. Opinions will differ from players to players. The random crafter will think that 400g per wind shard is too expensive for example. However, if the retainer's owner is actually selling those, why would he lower the price? That is the good point of not having a price history. People will always find profit, carfters will always find buyers for overpriced gears, farmers will always find buyers for overpriced cristals.

I sell all the shards and cristals I get from grinding, and only that. Wasting a bazar slot for gear or random crap that sell for <100k in 4 days is totally not worth it. I NPC all the gears I bought before rank 30, because shit doesn't sell fast enough. I sell Wind, Fire, Thunder cristals for 4,000g , wind shards for 400g, Earth and Fire shards for 250g and others for ~150g. I am aware it is an excessive price, however, they do sale insanely fast for that price. Means some crafters out there do have tons of money; obviously not everyone will afford them for that price, but you still have the option to farm them, shards are the most common drops of the game. And if I happen to have too many shards I can't sell (like 2,000+ , usually thunder, ice, or water), I just lower the price to 100g per and it is guarranteed to sell withing the next few hours, making poor crafters happy.
    And buyers will generally find nothing at all, which of course is why price gouging works so well in the first place. It's a terribly broken system.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by mdkuser View Post

How is that relevant to my post? I am talking about shards that no one is buying, read - no one is buying. I am talking about shards that are listed at 2-3 times the normal going rate. No one is buying these, hence why the wards are full of them. It's not a difficult concept to understand that if you price a high demand item too high, people still won't buy it.

Clearly you're selling yours at the going rate, otherwise people wouldn't buy them too. While I wouldn't pay your prices I know other people would, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people trying to sell them at double your prices. They sit there because even the crafters that are willing to spend all their gil on shards won't pay that high a price. If they were, you'd be listing yours that high right?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I think I've NPCed about ten times as much shit in the past ten days as I did in three years of playing FFXI, so you can't say it's the same with all games.
    The fact that FFXIV has no serious economy to speak of is a significant factor in this case.

If FFXIV had an auction house, I wouldn't NPC half as much stuff as I do. But it doesn't.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I NPC things because its the same amount of effort if not less than dropping things.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I NPC a lot these days, but even then I rarely have over 20 free spaces. I can't even mine these days without having to drop anything that isn't silver, zinc or an NQ gem every few nodes. I am hoping more retainers are added in the big November patch so I can start playing without worrying about my inventory and loot list every five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I've noticed that the Gridania wards, at least on Figaro, are far, far worse than the ones in Ul'Dah. It seems to have become the major centre for trade. Not sure about LL because I never go there... lol.
    I think you must play on a different Figaro server than me, because Gridania wards are a desolate wasteland.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

ffxiv.yg.com needs to list NPC resell prices!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    I think you must play on a different Figaro server than me, because Gridania wards are a desolate wasteland.
    That post was like... weeks ago. I imagine its worse now. And yeah. The Grid ward had much fewer retainers AND much more wrongly placed items generally.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Mei Killuminati View Post
    ffxiv.yg.com needs to list NPC resell prices!
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...1E&hl=en#gid=1

SayomiSassaki

A lot of ppl compare FFXI and FFXIV, but remember that FFXI came to North america 1 year after his release so there was a lot of problem who was already fix... And at the start of FFXI there was no AH, it only came some month later, so if SE want to make a AH at some point, we are still lucky that there is a Ward system for now even if its a little hard to search in it and find good price, but i have a lot less problem since they put different name for the ward...

And for the "Junk" stuff, there is some item that ppl think its junk because they dont sell high but even if they arent high didnt mean they aren't needed for craft low lvl... I sell "junk" some time when i dont have anything else and they still sell so much fast...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SayomiSassaki View Post
    A lot of ppl compare FFXI and FFXIV, but remember that FFXI came to North america 1 year after his release so there was a lot of problem who was already fix... And at the start of FFXI there was no AH, it only came some month later, so if SE want to make a AH at some point, we are still lucky that there is a Ward system for now even if its a little hard to search in it and find good price, but i have a lot less problem since they put different name for the ward...
    Or they're comparing the game to every other MMO released since then..

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Indeed, comparing it to FFXI is ridiculous. This game is up against titles which had better launches than that.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That post was like... weeks ago. I imagine its worse now. And yeah. The Grid ward had much fewer retainers AND much more wrongly placed items generally.
    I don't even touch Gridania's market ward on Figaro... my god, it's terrible. Ul'dah has been the best in my experience with Limsa being decent. I can usually find what I want between the two, but Gridania? Don't even bother looking for something there unless it's posted on YG.

As for the inventory space discussion going on, I also npc a lot of items; especially +1/2/3 items because I just don't have space for it and no time to return to Limsa to put it on my retainer to bazaar. I wander among the three towns to maximize leves (mostly local), so I'm rarely ever in Limsa to access my retainer. Having an auction house would definitely alleviate a lot of problems like regulating prices and helping sellers find buyers. Even though SE is planning to add a search feature to market wards, I fear it won't be enough since most people will use both their retainer and their personal bazaar and the search function won't help there. Hopefully having the ability to search will make people use their retainers more, but I doubt it... (more retainers will probably help though).

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

More retainers would make me more likely to sell those crafting mats people may want that I NPC due to not having the space to put in a queue for selling. With the search feature they'd sell fast too. So I think it will all be good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4