1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 34 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 34 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    Groovebox

Ask the Devs! (10/08/2010) - Character Creation

Character Creation
    Q. Will I be able to do the main scenario quests for the city-states other than the one I choose as my starting destination when creating a character?
    A. In fitting with the role of the adventurer as a champion of the nation in which his or her journey begins, players can partake only in the main scenario storyline of the starting destination chosen during character creation. We invite you to peruse the various plot synopses and NPC introductions to decide which epic adventure sounds most enticing to you!

Q. Are the starting arms and tools for every class sold in all of the city-states?
    No matter which starting destination is chosen during the character creation process, players may rest assured that the beginning gear for each class will be available for purchase from guild and merchant NPCs. This means that players will be able to easily take up any class they wish in their starting nation. The locations where class-specific arms and tools are sold in each city are listed below.

Q. What effect does my character’s namdeday have in the game world?
    Currently, a character’s nameday has no bearing in-game, but the planning of future content such as nameday present campaigns and temporary nameday buffs is ongoing. Of course, we will be striving to ensure that whatever special benefits are granted are as fair as possible, with all namedays being treated equally. Feel free to match your character’s nameday to your own birthday, to select some lucky numbers, or, should neither of those options tickle your fancy, go random!

Q. I get that there are twelve guardians, but what type of influence will the one I select exert over my character?
    At present, the guardian selected during character creation will have no significant impact within the game world. In the future, when new features impacted by or related to a character’s guardians are implemented, we will also be presenting players with the option to choose a new guardian. You may offer your piety to the deity that most closely reflects your character’s personality, or perhaps the guardian worshipped by the nation in which your adventure begins. Another option is to select the guardian under whose moon your character’s nameday falls. Or you could be as capricious as the gods themselves, and simply pick one on a whim!
    Interesting answers for the last two questions.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Not to be a negative nancy or anything, but doesn't it feel like that's stuff that should have been in at launch?

I am intrigued about the future of guardians though. Would be cool if we got guardian related quests, i.e. Diety sends you on quest, reward is deity-specific gear. Wanderer armor, mmmm.

Q. Will I be able to do the main scenario quests for the city-states other than the one I choose as my starting destination when creating a character?
    A. In fitting with the role of the adventurer as a champion of the nation in which his or her journey begins, players can partake only in the main scenario storyline of the starting destination chosen during character creation. We invite you to peruse the various plot synopses and NPC introductions to decide which epic adventure sounds most enticing to you!
    This is very disappointing news. I wonder if they will ever allow us to change our nation with 'memory wipes' like they did with XI. Making a new character and having to deal with level-based requirements for missions makes it very difficult to experience it otherwise.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Good money for them though I guess

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Riposte View Post
    This is very disappointing news. I wonder if they will ever allow us to change our nation with 'memory wipes' like they did with XI. Making a new character and having to deal with level-based requirements for missions makes it very difficult to experience it otherwise.
    They'll probably add it later. I'm pretty sure the functionality didn't exist at the beginning of FFXI either.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Heh, you'd think they would learn from previous mistakes rather than repeat them.
    Or at least you would have til you got your hands on the game.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Riposte View Post
    Agreed. For a game that places so much focus on "ONE CHARACTER. ONE JOURNEY. LIMITLESS POSSIBILITIES.", you'd think that they'd allow that one character to experience everything, especially since you can put so much time into that single character.

Other MMOs really don't have to do this, as you can only pick one class per character, so rerolling isn't a big deal. It annoys me, though, that I'll have to pay extra money if I want to experience the other storylines first-hand, and that means grinding through the game essentially three times.

Not cool, SE. Hopefully they'll backpeddle a bit on this one.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    Heh, you'd think they would learn from previous mistakes rather than repeat them.
    I don't think they consider releasing XI prematurely 'a mistake'. Rather the opposite.

It's hard for some to understand, however.

But the excess QQ about this shit is odd. They are informing us at the current situation, not saying "we won't implement a way to do that someday".

It's like asking whether you can visit Ishgard and them saying "no, you can not".

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It actually gives you a feeling that they want to go the exact patch XI did, even with bugs and all that lol :D Wonder how will that work for them

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

They're idiots if they think that.
    But I guess you probably don't think first impressions mean anything and that a 4.0 review isn't going to dissuade a lot of potential customers.

Anyway, let's not have this discussion here. There's no point in it. I'm simply not going to respond beyond this post.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    They're idiots if they think that.
    But I guess you probably don't think first impressions mean anything and that a 4.0 review isn't going to dissuade a lot of potential customers.
    While it may become a mistake now, it wasn't a mistake back then. That statement is simply retarded in this context.

It actually gives you a feeling that they want to go the exact patch XI did, even with bugs and all that lol Wonder how will that work for them
    Not as well as they might think. But who the fuck knows.

Not changing nations is the single most disappointing thing so far in this game for me.
    I really hope they change this...

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hey a few weeks late with this info huh, SE?