+ Reply to Thread

Any bodyguards on the vast gaping void of the BG Foramz?

Need some advice.

Friend of mine does Bachelor & Birthday Parties (dancer) and she's asking me if I'd want to come along as her bodyguard since she's a really close friend (comfortable around me, trustworthy, etc).

My question(s) is what am I to expect from these types of.. "events" (lolz). The customers pick a girl off a website, submit their information (CC info, address, etc) so I figure that alone would most likely keep them civil for the most part.

Secondly, is it pretty normal to carry a sidearm for shit like this? Depending on the area the party is supposed to be in I figure I could get away with not having one and just do the whole "Oooh I'm a bodyguard, I'm big and scary. BEHAVE." to keep people in line. But with alcohol and testosterone running rampant I'm sure it won't be that easy.

Yes, I know self-defense (7 years of boxing, couple years of taekwondo, etc).

Advice?

I know one of you on here who posts in the Fitness thread is a bodyguard somewhere (richardd?). HALP, ADVICE PLX.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Well, first things first. If you're going to do this professionally (doesn't sound like you are but just incase), you can bypass a SHIT FUCKING TON of red tape by getting your license (corny I know, but hear me out...)

Here in D.C., if you're part of a protection detail, first off it's a nationally recognized certification (as far as I know) that can let you get away with carrying concealed weapons (such as guns, pepper spray, etc.) Of course you'll have to go through safety classes and take tests but I know 3 people who have a small firm here in D.C. (Day Protection Agency, 25 man force authorized to carry Glock 9mm, pepper spray, handcuffs, ASP, and AR-14's) that do protection details for dignitaries and delegates from other countries so they get NICE hardware and even got the agency off the ground with help from federal government funding.

I would start with checking your local laws on carrying concealed weapons and checking to see if you were using them in an official capacity (small time protection being one), if you need a permit to use it for self defense for your "protectee". Not saying anything might go down but you don't want to go to a bachelor party with 50 drunk dudes putting their hands over your friend and you step in and get the crap stomped out of you by 50 drunk dudes. Small handheld pepperspray and stun-batons are relatively cheap, easy to utilize, easy to carry, offer great protection in the right hands, and are perfectly legal to own and carry depending on your states laws.

I would generally try to dissuade people from carrying a gun because of the whole "you have it to use but remember it can be used against you", and what if you shot someone? Even if it was to protect you or your friend, think of how much paperwork or jailtime you can get if you used it and the cops tried to ding you for it. Me, personally I would carry it but i'm a cop and can probably get away with a self defense story provided the circumstances were right. You'll probably be better off with what I used to have when I was a bouncer for a strip club: MMA gloves with Kevlar/Ceramic plates sewn in to the knuckles and palms for easy cut protection from knives and bottles with all the perks of a extra layer of hard Ceramic putting twice the power in to a strike to the sternum or a chop to the suprascapular.

Yeah I'm not going to be doing this professionally, it's just to help a friend out for a while. I have a license for a sidearm, but I'll look up whether I can use it in the capacity I'll have to for this type of work.

Many thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Most states restrict carrying concealed in an area with alcohol around, and if something happens it won't look good to a jury. Locally, parties like this frats and shit do detail with the guys that do security at bars around here. Have to do all kinds of classes to carry anything lol. If this is a short notice event I'd carry pepper spray, diffuses things just as quick as a gun(mostly).

Don't bring a gun... You should decline the offer as a job. But accept it, on occasion, as a friend.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

I'm in no way a bodyguard or a bouncer, but an article in a local newspaper a year or two ago really stuck with me. (I'll preface this by saying that it was about being a bouncer at a nightclub, but that's pretty similar to what you're talking about.)

When the reporter interviewed bouncers they pros responded that the biggest part of their job is listening, observing, and talking. When someone's had too much to drink, or two guys are getting aggro, the job of the bouncer or security is to keep things calm and even. Seperate the people having an altercation, speak clearly and calmly (important when people are drunk and high in a place with loud music and lots of people) and just try to cool people off and let everyone else have a good time.

If you do have to get rough or engage in any kind of physical contact, you have to be very careful. You break one of their bones or hit their head, you might get an assault and batter charge slapped on you - especially if you don't have any kind of accreditation or license from the city or state to engage in security work. I remember the article talking about a local bouncer/security school that was big on two things, 1) conflict resolution - getting people calm before they do any damage, and 2) pain compliance techniques. Knowing how to throw a mean right cross, block a clumsy haymaker, and throw someone to the ground is awesome - but they're all techniques that can and will end up getting your opponent injuired. Finger locks, joint locks, pressure points - all that kind of pain compliance stuff gets people to do what you want plenty quick. Even some aggro broski won't look so tough in a well-executed joint lock - when they relent you go take them outside and have someone else get their coat.

Don't bring a gun, that's all I can say on that. You're feeding into the 'security complex' of asking for more trouble if you bring a weapon. The only weapons you need are your mind, your body, and your words. If people are getting out of hand or your principle is getting worred, pull them aside, have a chat and explain what's going on and what will happen if they do it again. Then let them go enjoy the rest of the evening with the knowledge that they're being watched and any further transgressions means no more titties/pussy for them.

Good luck.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I agree with the no-gun sentiment. If things escalate that far, you're fucked no matter what you do.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

I ain't no bodyguard, but you need special permits and shit. You can't just show up and shit and say "HAY GUYZ IM A BODYGUARD RDY 2 GO MW ON UR ASS." Anyway, here in LA only the law enforcement agency can give you a permit for concealed weapons. BSIS can give you the exposed weapon permit... it's a fucking mess.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Elesirdur hit the nail on the head.

I used to do bouncer work every now and then for my friends bar, and the regular guy there whos been doing it his whole life taught me pretty much everything Elesirdur said. It was different years ago where they would carry some sort of weapon; they used to carry guns, and then just some sort baton, and now pretty much nothing. First thing you do is try to talk the situation down to normal, but if not and the guy is being unruly, or starts to come at you, dont start throwing 'bows, use submission techniques, and pressure points and joint locks. Come to think of it, road house is a really good example.

The last thing you want to do is swing back, even if a guy decks you, your best option is to just put him in a lock. A choke hold should be your most 'lethal' move, anything worse and youre crossing a line which will probably come back to bite you in your ass, legally. While all of this is self defense, a lot of these guys like to come back and sue for abuse of authority, so it's in your best interest to use your words first, and a well placed joint lock second.

Edit: However, since youre not doing this for a job or anything, you can probably get away with beating his ass, and claiming self defense if anything comes back. Who ever said that you should do this as a favor for a friend, and not as a job detail, is also a good idea. Some guy assulted your friend, all you did was defend her, when you bring in the duty of a job, it can get more convoluted.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've done personal bodyguard work for 5 years or so. If it was me in this situation, I would not carry a weapon on me. Keep it in the car. Your presence is what will dissuade them from being idiots. If they do start to get a bit too rowdy for her comfort...leave. If they understand what is expected of them up front, there shouldn't be a problem. I have done quite a few private parties for dancers and only had problems a few times. Most of the time if you come in while she's getting dressed and explain what they're not allowed to do and what will happen if they do (i.e. leaving...don't threaten violence or they'll just get macho) you should be fine. That being said, I am licensed in all the states that I worked in and have concealed carry permits in all of them as well. For what you're doing, that shouldn't be necessary as long as you don't carry the gun inside. I would carry a small taser though. No need to let them see it either. You are dealing with insecure guys who are going to want to act bad in front of their friends and it could get bad quickly if you let it get out of hand. I have seen some of these type of parties get ugly quick and nobody wants to be in a situation like that. Most people are intimidated by a strong presence and as long as you don't show signs of being scared of them or the situation, they should respect what you say and everything will work itself out.

I think what noblemountain said is pretty much 100% correct. Tell them that if she becomes uncomfortable, they leave. I think that will sway 90% of most guys from ruining it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    (i.e. leaving...don't threaten violence or they'll just get macho)
    ^ can not stress this enough.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    I've done personal bodyguard work for 5 years or so. If it was me in this situation, I would not carry a weapon on me. Keep it in the car. Your presence is what will dissuade them from being idiots. If they do start to get a bit too rowdy for her comfort...leave. If they understand what is expected of them up front, there shouldn't be a problem. I have done quite a few private parties for dancers and only had problems a few times. Most of the time if you come in while she's getting dressed and explain what they're not allowed to do and what will happen if they do (i.e. leaving...don't threaten violence or they'll just get macho) you should be fine. That being said, I am licensed in all the states that I worked in and have concealed carry permits in all of them as well. For what you're doing, that shouldn't be necessary as long as you don't carry the gun inside. I would carry a small taser though. No need to let them see it either. You are dealing with insecure guys who are going to want to act bad in front of their friends and it could get bad quickly if you let it get out of hand. I have seen some of these type of parties get ugly quick and nobody wants to be in a situation like that. Most people are intimidated by a strong presence and as long as you don't show signs of being scared of them or the situation, they should respect what you say and everything will work itself out.
    Do this. Also, remember this is business, so dont get too overprotective. Make sure you talk to her about what is allowed and what isn't. She also needs to talk to the group, and let them know what is ok and what isn't, and if the rules get broken, someone gets broken, and party is over.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

All good advice.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

you should turn down the offer, you are going to have trouble respecting her once she starts getting gang banged on some dudes living room floor for a handful of cash