Closed Thread
Page 1 of 467 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

The Walking Dead (spoiler tags for comic talk, no spoilers for tv talk) - CAAAAAAAAAAAAARL's a bitch

http://www.zombiereportingcenter.com...mar092419d.jpg
    Anybody reading this? Friend of mine lent me his copies and I just marathoned through the entire series in two days (issues 1-73). All I can say about it is that it's sooo fucking awesome. I love the setting. Love the characters and their personality evolutions. Love the situations. Love the emotion. Everything about the story is fantastic. If you aren't reading it, I highly, highly recommend it for anyone who not just enjoys survival-horror but stories about interpersonal relationships and character development. (I don't think "character development" is the right term I'm looking for. Just mean how people can change over time due to how different circumstances can have an affect on them.)

I can go into a little bit of detail for those that might be interested about the story, however I do NOT suggest looking up a description online as there are a lot of twists and turns that the plot takes and, for me at least, the unexpected circumstances, outcomes and character developments are a massive part of the enjoyment. Wikipedia, for example has more than a handful of spoilers in the first paragraph alone.

And I've learned that AMC has picked it up and will be airing (at least) 6 episodes starting sometime in October. I can't wait, going to be Christmas in October.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Can I get some sort of synopsis?

Banned.

BG Level

A-rated comic. Best zombie story I've yet encountered, but then again I am not much of a horror movie buff lol. The art can get pretty meh at times(not as good as the covers, which is very common), but I've grown to like it.

It is really good and yes you don't want anything spoiled for you because it is one of those heartless "oh-shit" type of comics. Unfortunately it is also very long and has no real overarching plot - so I got bored of it about 10 issues away from where it is at now. I will probably pick it up again some time later. It was good up until I put it down.

EDIT: Story: Cop falls into coma. Wakes up to find his world torn apart by zombies(Romero-style). Goes on quest to find his wife and kid.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

This and Rubicon continuing BrBa/Mad Men's legacy on AMC gives me such a raging boner.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Seriously cannot wait for this. There are some pictures up on aint it cool and superhero hype I believe. It's only going to be 6 episodes though

Good news is they have a few seasons planned

Old Merits
    BG Level

The setting is modern times but it starts off with it being a few months post zombie apocalypse outbreak (if that made sense). The main guy that the story follows is Rick Grimes, a small town policeman from somewhere in one the mid-atlantic states (they probably said which, but I can't seem to remember, might have been Virginia? Doesn't make much difference anyway) who wakes up from a coma to find himself alone in a world that has gone to the zombies. He sets out in search of his wife and son and joins up with a group of people that all have, or eventually develop/uncover, some character flaws. With his rag-tag group, they have to figure out the very basics of surviving not only the zombies, but other living people and learn to cope with the overall situation of the apocalypse and eventful moments that force them to make tough decisions.

It seems simple enough, but really the beauty of the story is in the simplicity and realistic nature. The characters aren't perfect human beings and feel very real. I have a difficult time not feeling a sense of empathy for nearly every member of the main cast. The situations they are presented with really makes you think about what you would do in their situation and how you would cope with not only making the wrong choices but the right choices as well just as each of the characters do. It is very gritty in that both the zombies and the people are capable of such gruesome acts and that every decision that's made by the survivors could go wrong and the consequences can be very dramatic and irreversible.

Hope that's good enough kuronosan. I'm trying not to spoil anything. That's difficult, though, because while the overall plot is fairly bland, the decisions the characters make change the story up so much and so unexpectedly. To give a real synopsis would give too much of the 'twists and turns' away, sorry if I'm still being too vague.

Unfortunately it is also very long and has no real overarching plot - so I got bored of it about 10 issues away
    Yea, I have to agree with you on that. Plot's pretty weak/boring but it doesn't have to be complex to work, imo. Plot's boring, but the story isn't (if that makes any sense).

BG Level

No, that works perfectly. I think I might actually pick this up. I'm a sucker for all things zombie.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    No, that works perfectly. I think I might actually pick this up. I'm a sucker for all things zombie.
    In that case you'll only be disappointed in that you didn't know about it from 2003 until today.

BG Level

Oh fuck sake.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Id say its a blessing finding out about it now, because you can find all the books online and just catch up to present.
    Great comic, even though I hate zombies, its a must read.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Awesome stuff. Just read 70 issues in around 2 days. Really entertaining.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I saw this when I was in Chicago, so when I got home I bought the first issue. It was pretty interesting to me, but I didn't have the money to buy them all. I think they have hardbound volumes that seemed like a good deal, but if they're online I guess there's no point in buying.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

This is good stuff. I'm a sucker for anything zombies, so this and High School of the Dead captured my attention about 2 months ago.

I need more of a fix.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arrmani View Post
    I guess there's no point in buying.
    Don't be silly... supporting the writer is reason enough. Not sure how valuable modern comics are nowadays, but purchasing could also be considered an investment for the future.
    And yes, there are hard and soft bound volumes. 12 soft and 6 hard (spare me the jokes please...)

Glad I was able to spread the word and that you guys like it.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arrmani View Post
    I guess there's no point in buying.
    You can get the vol.1-8 compendium for $40. Stop being such a goddamn cheapskate.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Battlestar Galactica's Bear McCreary will provide the music for AMC's Walking Dead series, an adaptation of Robert Kirkman's popular graphic novel series. That was just one of the many news bites dropped on the show's packed panel at Comic-Con.

Producer Gale Anne Hurd revealed the exclusive news to the packed house at Comic-Con, who were very, very impressed by the footage they saw. So impressed, that hopes are high on all sides of the show's creative team that a second season of Dead will happen. Darabont, who wrote and directed the pilot, even hinted as to what characters we'll see in Season 2.
    Spoiler: show

"I can't wait to get to Michonne," Darabont said, which was met with enthusiastic applause. Michonne is one of the series' most popular characters, an African-American badass who left her civilian life and took up a ninja sword when the zombies came. Like we said, badass.

Darabont also hinted that another popular character, tough guy Tyrese, may also get spotlighted in Season 2.
    Fkn love Bear's work, this is great news.

Old Merits
    BG Level

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets.../340x_zomb.jpg

Some reporting from SD comic-con
    http://io9.com/5595096/the-comic+con...ungry-for-more

http://io9.com/5594224/does-andrew-l...king-dead-hero

Character gallery
    http://io9.com/5593242/walking-dead-gallery/gallery/1

EDIT
    There's a few videos out from comic-con on youtube and, as usual, assholes are posting big spoilers in the video comments. Watch at your own risk.

Banned.

BG Level

+1 for this comic.

Banned.

BG Level

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 467 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast