+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

FFXI Successfully played on linux

So, I've been slowly debugging wine to try and get FFXI running on Linux. It's a long, slow process. However, PlayOnline successfully starts. It involved a horrible hack and isn't stable at all, but it does start (which is a massive step). It crashes immediately if you select login. So, for those of you who gave up on it...it may actually work before they shut down the servers.

Attached is a screenshot of PlayOnline actually started.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Re: FFXI on Linux? Maybe...

people have got it working up to the accept decline screen before character select with cedega... so unfortunately, everything you've accomplished has been done, and you got my hopes up and crashed them all in one post

this song is relevant to your post: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HbJiF8deCWA

please use google next time ok? ok thanks

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon
    people have got it working up to the accept decline screen before character select with cedega...

please use google next time ok? ok thanks
    You do realize that this isn't crazy weird configs that kinda work in this build but won't in the next, right? I'm going line by line and fixing every bug/unimplemented feature in wine that's affecting FFXI. Rather than have a half-working game like a lot of them end up like with wine, the goal is for a normal user to go wine install.exe, swap cds, wine pol.exe, log in and play. If you actually used google appropriately, you'd see the regressions listed in this bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11749. The post was made so that people know that it's not an abandoned thing, and that progress is being made. The hacks I've made so far are due to display driver issues that need fixing outside of wine.

The latest state of wine with POL outside of what I've been doing is:
    Code:
    fixme:imm:NotifyIME IMC_SETCONVERSIONMODE
    fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
    err:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
    fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000cb0 at address 0x7c069739 (thread 0032), starting debugger...
    And honestly, if you look at the bug report, all of the people responsible for the regressions either don't care or aren't paying attention just so they can get 1.0 out the door.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

And an update...POL is updating as I type this. If I can stay up late enough tonight, I may even be able to post an in-game screenshot.

EDIT: POL updated, FFXI updating now.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Ok, so, series of images attached.

It's possible to log into the game. 3d graphics are all kinds of messed up, and the window didn't resize properly, but there's some tells in there showing it is technically functional.

And I'm off to bed tonight. More progress will probably be slow as I track down the 3d rendering/gamma issues.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Re: FFXI Successfully played on linux

So, I've been able to get the game to actually display. It takes super-low graphics mode + some code changes to get it to work. 3d rendering horks up pretty bad with any sort of reasonable draw-distance, multiple other issues. However, it's possible to log in, run around, and technically possible to play. And now I'm really going to bed. Will probably be more updates this weekend as I try to resolve the outstanding issues.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

very nice job! Keep up the work

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Til you post an in depth step by step how to I call bull shit and say photoshopped (or should I say gimped? Lol)

But no if you srsly have this going I will love you forever, what are the specs of your linux box?

Edit: you do realize that wine alone is not designed for 3d right? Cedega is... But wine developers don't prioritize 3d at all

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Not only did you get your account back, but you got FFXI running on Linux. You're an internet superhero!

Did you hack the account back from the hackers? That would be a win of epic proportions.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/genera ... -04-a.html

Anyone else tried that? I'm hoping I can play under Mac OS X using VMWare...

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Anyone tried or know if it works on parallels desktop/workstation? Heard they have some good 3d support.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

someone said it does work in parrells, but not as good as it could... i dont have a modern mac so i dont have first hand experience with it