Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PS3 gets Netflix     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

PS3 gets Netflix

Courtesy of the official Playstation Blog

Attention, PlayStation 3 owners: want to watch a movie streamed instantly from Netflix via your PS3? I’ve got terrific news for you; very soon you’ll be able to do just that.

We’re excited to announce today that Netflix and Sony have partnered to bring you thousands of movies and TV episodes streamed instantly from Netflix to your TV via your PS3 system at no extra charge. When the application launches next month, you’ll be able to access and watch thousands of Netflix choices directly through the XMB. We think that the nearly nine million PS3 enthusiasts and 11.1 million Netflix members in the U.S. will make quite a match.

If you want to get a head start on your PS3 Netflix experience, you can sign up today at Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial.

For more information, check out the press release below (or click here), and stay tuned to the PlayStation.Blog for further updates on the rollout.

COMING SOON: NETFLIX MEMBERS CAN INSTANTLY WATCH MOVIES AND TV EPISODES STREAMED TO TVs VIA THE PLAYSTATION®3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

With Movies Streamed Instantly from Netflix, Blu-ray/DVD Playback and Downloadable Videos via the PlayStation®Network, the PlayStation 3 System Offers The Industry’s Most Comprehensive Options for Watching Movies and TV Shows

FOSTER CITY and LOS GATOS, Calif., October 26, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) and Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] today announced that they are joining forces to make thousands of movies and TV episodes from Netflix available to be streamed instantly to TVs via the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. Netflix expects to begin streaming via the PS3 system next month at no additional cost to Netflix members in the United States who have a PS3 system.

Today’s announcement pairs two of the most popular and fastest growing home entertainment brands in the U.S. The PS3 system’s installed base has reached close to 9 million units in the United States, and Netflix recently reported 11.1 million U.S. subscribers as of September 30.

The partnership further solidifies the PS3 system as the most complete home entertainment hub on the market today, enabling consumers to play high-definition games, watch Blu-ray movies, listen to music, view photos, browse the Internet, and download content from PlayStation®Network − from exclusive games to blockbuster movies and popular TV shows. PS3 system owners will soon enjoy an unparalleled experience watching their favorite movies and TV shows streamed instantly from Netflix, downloading from the PlayStation Network or watching Blu-ray/DVD media. The Netflix offering expands on the entertainment experience delivered to PS3 system owners via PlayStation Network.

For only $8.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed to their TVs and computers via Netflix ready devices such as the PS3 system and can receive unlimited DVDs delivered quickly to their homes.

“The PlayStation 3 system has always been about more than just gaming, and it will soon be the only platform in the industry to offer consumers such a variety of convenient options for enjoying movies and TV shows,” said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. “Whether you want to watch content on Blu-ray disc and DVD, download it from the PlayStation Network’s video delivery service, or stream videos instantly from Netflix, the PS3 system is the only solution that offers it all.”

“As instantly watching movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix becomes an increasingly popular way to enjoy the Netflix service, our goal is to rapidly expand the devices that stream to our members,” said Netflix CEO and co-founder Reed Hastings. “As a leading game console and Blu-ray disc player, bringing Netflix to the PS3 system is a real win for both Netflix members and PS3 system owners.”

Initially, watching movies instantly streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system will be enabled by a free, instant streaming Blu-ray disc that is being made available to all Netflix members. The free instant streaming disc leverages Blu-ray’s BD-Live™ technology to access the Internet and activate the Netflix user interface on the PS3 system, which must be online via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Netflix members simply slide the disc into their PS3 systems to reveal movies and TV episodes that can be watched instantly. These titles are conveniently organized into a variety of categories based on members’ personal preferences, popular genres, new arrivals and members’ individual instant Queues. Members can use the Netflix Web site or navigate directly on their PS3 systems to add movies and TV shows to their Queues. With the PS3 system’s Wireless Controller, members can choose a movie to watch from their instant Queues or just play directly from any of the lists. They also have the ability to read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they have the option of fast-forwarding and rewinding the video stream via the Wireless Controller.

Netflix members and PS3 system owners can now reserve a free instant streaming disc for PS3 systems by going to Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial. Upon availability, the instant streaming disc will be delivered for free by first-class mail, generally one business day after members request it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I love netflix, and I'm so happy that the ps3 has it now. ~

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

Eh, I'll just copy my post from gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Shojin View Post
    Netflix Coming Soon to PlayStation 3 – PlayStation.Blog

Was gonna make a new thread but don't really know if it would go in gaming or entertainment, so I'll just leave it here.

Netflix CEO has been focusing on other consoles, so I'm guessing it will be coming to the Wii some time soon also. Looks like Microsoft's exclusivity deal was for 1 year, hopefully they'll allow silver members to use Netflix now also to combat this.

Personally only reason I'd use this is to reduce the hassle of looking for TV as I don't have cable, but I torrent most of my shit anyway. And chances are if you really wanted Netflix on PS3 to begin with you'd probably have PlayOn, but this is a nice option to those that want this.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

This is pretty sick. I've never even once considered joining netflix because I torrent everything, but this is enticing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore View Post
    This is pretty sick. I've never even once considered joining netflix because I torrent everything, but this is enticing.
    Probably isn't worth it to someone who torrents as much as you (based on your seedbox etc.), but for someone like me who doesn't as often, or doesn't torrent movies for the sake of whatever, Netflix on the console has been a godsend for me and my 360. Especially since I hardly ever watch/have an interest in catching TV shows, but I got hooked on Heroes thanks to Netflix.

Was kind of surprised it took this long for PS3 to get it, but of course Microsoft probably threw a hefty amount of money at Netflix for exclusivity.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Nice news! I've been wishing I could stream from NetFlix to my TV for awhile, but I don't have a 360. I'm looking forward to having the option now.

How is the quality of the stream, similar to DirecTV?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I'm surprised I thought 360 had some sort of exclusivity deal worked out with Netflix. It sucks that Canada's CRTC is screwing up them being able to bring these services into the country. Retarded outdated protectionist laws ftw. >.<

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by orson View Post
    I'm surprised I thought 360 had some sort of exclusivity deal worked out with Netflix. It sucks that Canada's CRTC is screwing up them being able to bring these services into the country. Retarded outdated protectionist laws ftw. >.<
    They did, for a year. Would be silly of Netflix to not try to go after more subscribers on other platforms and they've said they want it on all 3 consoles, then want to get it on mobile devices such as the iPhone.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I love Netflix on my 360. This will hopefully give me something to do with my PS3 other than being a paper weight.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Very welcomed news. Just reserved my disk.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Hmm, I might actually sign up for a Netflix account when this rolls out.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

couple questions about netflix for my 360 while we are somewhat on topic.

1. whats the monthly cost? is it no limit on viewing?
    2. what's the deal with connections that aren't great? (i.e. shitbox wireless)

hello kitty skeet skeet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

its pretty cheap about the same as psn's netflix and yes its all you can watch no limits
    as for wireless i has 0 issuses watching movies via wireless 360 ^^

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I've never once had an issue with my connection or quality using wireless.

Real question is will they stream HD for PS3 like they do for the 360 and other set top box's or will they limit it to SD like they do for PC user's lol

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Calina View Post
    Real question is will they stream HD for PS3 like they do for the 360 and other set top box's or will they limit it to SD like they do for PC user's lol
    wow im late to this but if it can stream in HD, this might be the 1st none-pirated thing i did in years lol

BG Level

Netflix: PS3 disc must remain in system until 2010 update; and other answers to your pressing questions

Joystiq: Was the PS3 application developed internally by Netflix?

Netflix: Yes, with the help of the Sony team.

Can the Netflix application be installed to the PS3 hard dive from the disc? Or must the disc be inserted every time a user wants to access Netflix?

Yes, the Netflix disc has to be inserted every time to access the Netflix service.

Why a disc-based application and not streaming access through the PS3 browser?

Netflix members and PS3 owners have really wanted a way to instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system. The instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let them do this.

Why not distribute the application via PSN download or firmware update, and then embed it into the XMB?

Again, the instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let PS3 enthusiasts get Netflix on the PS3. Late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network.

Is releasing the PS3 application on a disc required by an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft?

The Netflix agreement with Sony for PS3 is consistent with the terms of our partnership with Microsoft for Xbox 360. Our goal is to give members the opportunity to instantly watch movies streamed from Netflix via the widest variety of Netflix ready devices. All of our partners are aware of our goal.

Is any new content being added to the Netlfix streaming catalog alongside this announcement?

We are constantly adding content to better serve our members, however we did not announce new content alongside the PS3 announcement.

Can users search the entire Netflix streaming library from the PS3? (On Xbox 360, browsing is currently limited to 100-movie categories.)

Similar to Xbox, subscribers can search lists of movies in categories such as New Releases, Drama, Action, Comedy, etc., and will have access to the entire library available to watch instantly.

Will special features typically found on DVD and Blu-ray discs (e.g., additional audio tracks, director commentary, etc.) be available through the PS3 application?

No.

Is there any difference between the content catalog available on PS3 versus Xbox 360?

No.

Does the PS3 application include any features that aren't in the Xbox 360 application?

No.

Are there more features being planned for a future update?

Again, late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network.

Finally, what's the update on a Netflix application for Wii?

Certainly, the Wii represents a great opportunity given the size of its installed base, but we have nothing specific to say about it at this point. The Xbox partnership has been terrific for Netflix members, and we're equally excited to announce the partnership with PS3.
    Looks like it is going to be very similar to Xbox 360 according to this interview, the interviewer could have asked better questions though. Looks like the disc is a loophole out of exclusivity contract with Microsoft until next year when it will be available through the XMB by a firmware update.

If it does come to the Wii, the highest it'll be able to stream is 480p.

Old Merits
    BG Level

MS not dropping Live Gold requirement.

[link deleted]

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

How exactly does this work? I pop in the disc and can stream -any- movie Netflix has? or is it limited to the 100 movies they have released in those 'categories'?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

My Netflix disc gets here today and apparently you can watch any of the streaming titles available by adding them to your queue.

From Netflix site: