Page 51 of 139 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1001 to 1020 of 2776

Thread: FFXIII-2     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1001
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,488
    BG Level
    6

    FFVI would have been almost perfect if they got rid of useless characters that have nothing to do with the plot (at the very least: Gau, Umaro, Relm and Gogo) and the plot itself didn't reach a full halt at the beginning of WoR.
    In fact, I stopped caring about the plot the instant Kefka stopped showing up.
    FFVII made the exact same mistake with Sephiroth (I can't be the only one who hated disc 2's plot disaster).

  2. #1002
    Hyperion Cross
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8,918
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    FFVII made the exact same mistake with Sephiroth (I can't be the only one who hated disc 2's plot disaster).
    The game was actually rather good up until after the Shinra HQ (the serious tone, and the urban if limited environment). Even the playable flashback with a uncontrollable Sephiroth in your party was interesting (I like, as a noob at the game back then, being shown what end-game type powers are like), but then the pace slowed down and things became more open.

    I do indeed dislike Disc 2. The glacier was a shitty area and felt more like a dungeon crawl than anything. Everything was just so slow and restricted it really felt stuck (ohnoes linear!!!) until you got to the point where you got Cloud back where it felt less constrained.

  3. #1003
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,268
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    FFVI would have been almost perfect if they got rid of useless characters that have nothing to do with the plot (at the very least: Gau, Umaro, Relm and Gogo) and the plot itself didn't reach a full halt at the beginning of WoR.
    In fact, I stopped caring about the plot the instant Kefka stopped showing up.
    FFVII made the exact same mistake with Sephiroth (I can't be the only one who hated disc 2's plot disaster).
    Gau had a nice storyline with finding his father.

    Relm was interesting for her relationship with Shadow (and a weird glitch if you leave Shadow behind on the floating continent)

  4. #1004
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    useless characters (Gau, Relm)
    wat

    For Gau I'm assuming you mean plot-wise, since his story isn't really linked to anyone, and you can't mean using him since he's fucking OP especially early in the game. For Relm... yeah I'm lost, since she's both crucial to the plot lines of Shadow and Strago, and also Control is a nice little ability for learning Lores and other random shit.

  5. #1005
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,245
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Everyone knows FF5's where it's at!

    *slinks away

  6. #1006
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,852
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Wow, look. Everyone has different FF favorites and dislikes. Who would've thought? Why does every FF thread devolve into this argument?

  7. #1007
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Wow, look. Everyone has different FF favorites and dislikes. Who would've thought? Why does every FF thread devolve into this argument?
    Because Final Fantasy # is the best Final Fantasy ever and if you disagree you're a stupid asshole.

  8. #1008
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,752
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    yeah 7 or gtfo! what no? >.>;

  9. #1009
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,933
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    The game was actually rather good up until after the Shinra HQ (the serious tone, and the urban if limited environment). Even the playable flashback with a uncontrollable Sephiroth in your party was interesting (I like, as a noob at the game back then, being shown what end-game type powers are like), but then the pace slowed down and things became more open.

    I do indeed dislike Disc 2. The glacier was a shitty area and felt more like a dungeon crawl than anything. Everything was just so slow and restricted it really felt stuck (ohnoes linear!!!) until you got to the point where you got Cloud back where it felt less constrained.
    I may be biased since it was my first FF (and game of that kind of depth) but I thought that the "openness" and comparative lack of direction was well executed after leaving Midgar for the first time. The (artificial) freedom you now had was a great contrast to the more obviously linear Midgar section, emphasising just how stifling and oppressive Midgar is/was. The rebirth in scope from a very focused and linear progression to a more open ended and ambiguous one reflected the beginning of a new journey and made it feel like a real adventure.

    I liked the beginning of Disc 2 because I got very involved with the characters so (MAJOR SPOILERS) when Aerith dies, I too burned with the desire for vengeance. The scale and comparative difficulty of the dungeons basically told me "this isn't Disc 1 anymore, shit is getting real". However, I will agree that the interim where you don't have Cloud feels disjointed.

  10. #1010
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    (MAJOR SPOILERS) when Aerith dies
    bwahahahahahahahaha

  11. #1011
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    the interim where you don't have Cloud feels disjointed.
    Replaying it recently, I wish I could have more parties without him. I'm just so tired of 1/3 of my party always being him when there's like 8 people to pick from. Story-wise, yeah, it's a little awkward when he's out of comission... but to me it's a breath of fresh air as well as proof that life goes on without him and that the characters have minds of their own.

  12. #1012
    Sagacious Sundi
    Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by darkepyon View Post
    Everyone knows FF5's where it's at!
    This and 9.

  13. #1013
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    51,708
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    I may be biased since it was my first FF (and game of that kind of depth) but I thought that the "openness" and comparative lack of direction was well executed after leaving Midgar for the first time. The (artificial) freedom you now had was a great contrast to the more obviously linear Midgar section, emphasising just how stifling and oppressive Midgar is/was. The rebirth in scope from a very focused and linear progression to a more open ended and ambiguous one reflected the beginning of a new journey and made it feel like a real adventure.

    I liked the beginning of Disc 2 because I got very involved with the characters so (MAJOR SPOILERS) when Aerith dies, I too burned with the desire for vengeance. The scale and comparative difficulty of the dungeons basically told me "this isn't Disc 1 anymore, shit is getting real". However, I will agree that the interim where you don't have Cloud feels disjointed.
    Not my favorite FF but I have to agree with this. Once you left the linear Midgar and finally got on the world map, there was a huge sense of "Shit just got real!" open world that FFXIII probably tried to replicate but tacked an extra forty hours of tunnels before it.

  14. #1014
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,621
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

    as fun as it was to play XIII-2 at comic con, battle system made me feel like I was playing XIII over again w/ a new story. it felt that identical. The monster doesn't add anything new since they control the same as if it was a person in that PT member slot. It looks shinier though

  15. #1015
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,825
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    as fun as it was to play XIII-2 at comic con, battle system made me feel like I was playing XIII over again w/ a new story. it felt that identical. The monster doesn't add anything new since they control the same as if it was a person in that PT member slot. It looks shinier though
    Sounds like they took some inspiration from Sakaguchi then.

  16. #1016
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,008
    BG Level
    7
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Ya 13-2 sounds meh, more and more I read about it the less excited I get for it. I am way more interested in Versus 13, I mean way more and who knows if that is ever going to come out.

  17. #1017
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,882
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    I passed by the booth at Comic-Con; didn't get a chance to play cause some CosPlay lightning was hogging one of the machines lol. At any rate, it looked like the previous game with some slight tweaks which I am sure has been discussed already. From what I saw, enemy encounters are back to random battles but when the mobs materialize there is a red ring around you and a color bar down at the bottom and you have a specific amount of time to "react" to the situation. I remember Green gave the party bonuses but I didn't really pay attention to the other stuff. The battles themselves looked the same, but there were some active cutscenes in the battle where you have to participate (Press X at a certain time).

    Also there appears to be some kind of Anomaly puzzle that you have to solve every now and again. It looked like a grid with platforms that looked like tetris pieces and you had to walk across them. After leaving a square, it would disappear and you had to go from one side of the room to another.

  18. #1018
    They're just like us
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,816
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Random battles? Fuck it, will watch someone else play it.

  19. #1019
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    It's randomly materializing mobs (instead of the previously roaming). If you attack them and initiate combat while the timer is green, you get random buffs (haste/protect/shell/bravery/faith/etc.). If you wait until it's yellow, nothing special happens, combat goes on as usual. If you wait until it's red and get attacked by the mob or don't manage to get away fast enough to escape the enemy confrontation by the timer hits zero, you start the battle with random enfeebles (slow/deprotect/deshell/etc.).

    I like the system.

  20. #1020
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    760
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    I wonder why they changed it from the previous system? I can't see the benefit it adds personally, and it seems kinda weird to go from one to the other between two games.

    Are we going to have that cheesy lightning effect spawn adamantoises on us down the line? That would be scary. It may of course not apply to some of the more open areas, but who knows.

Page 51 of 139 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FFXIII Anouncment Trailer now on PSN
    By Faxanadu in forum Square-Enix Titles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009-02-01, 10:53
  2. New FFXIII & Versus Vids. ?
    By SephYuyX in forum Square-Enix Titles
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 2009-01-12, 14:17
  3. New FFXIII Trailers
    By Natallon in forum Square-Enix Titles
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 2008-08-21, 14:41
  4. FFXIII on 360
    By SephYuyX in forum Square-Enix Titles
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 2008-07-22, 17:21
  5. New Pictures from FFXIII
    By Kimiko in forum Square-Enix Titles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2008-01-25, 21:56