+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ffxi Direct 3D error     submit to reddit submit to twitter

ffxi Direct 3D error

My gf bought a new computer to mess around with. Nothing special just a hp @ walmart. When i try to load FFXI it goes past the check version screen, but when it tries to change the size of the screen (using windower) it errors and gives me this message"

"Terminated as error occurred in Final Fantasy XI. Failed to initialize Direct 3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run Final Fantasy XI.(-1)"

Tried it with plain pol no widower and worked fine. Any idea how to get widower to work? i surf web, watch youtube a lot while playing.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Start > Run > dxdiag.exe > Display tab > Test Direct3D/Direct Draw

If you can see whatever is on your screen and you pass the tests.
    Right click on your desktop > Display Properties > Go to settings/resolution

Your resolution should be displayed, for example, 1024x600.

Open WindowGUI, in the XY resolution fields at the top, key in your resolution, or, if you want the window smaller, make it smaller than your current resolution set on your computer.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The issue, if I recall, is that the Windower can't initialize Direct3D, though it can use it if it's already open.

The typical solution is to leave a sidebar gadget open that uses Direct3D - the clock or calendar ones should work offhand.

Added the calendar to the desktop. windower loaded and went to the game without crashing. But instead it just goes full screen like the normal game and none of the windower plugins are active. When loading windower it does say windower enabled at top, and has the shortcut to ffxi. About to try the dixd way.

ran the dxdiag test, no errors found. screen resu is 1366 x 768. Tried to use launcher_Gui but gave me a error, changed the launcher file to those values and tried to launch and it still goes full screen. with no plugins

Been reading over windower forums lot of people have same problem. Made progress though. I changed the hook.dll files and now windower hooks and I have all the plug ins, working but it still goes full screen. I can alt tab out of it and back into it without it crashing but would perfer to have it compact screen like usual if possible. Any ideas?

Gargoyle

1. Go to FFXI config, set background res to 1024x1024.
    2. Open FFXI vanilla, once it comes to the TOS screen you can cancel and exit gracefully from POL.
    3. Open launcher_gui with desired settings.

Fixed it thank you. GUI wont ever work for some reason gives me a error when i try to launch, although i changed the defalt settings in the launcher file and worked like a charm. Thanks to everyone who helped

so, took the pc back and got a diffrent one, the lag was just to bad. Now having more windower errors. When i load windower its not even saying windower enabled, just going to playonline. Only thing that shows windower even had effect is the short cut to ffxi. No plugins load, windower is never enabled, and it goes full screen on start up. I've tried:

Run as admin
    install to folder other than x86
    changed hook.dll