Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
  1. #21
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    538
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    2 > 5 = 1 > 4 > 3. Im really surprised how many people seem to love S3; I could barely find myself wanting to play it. I recall quitting for a few months of playing it just because of the flip flopping in the story line. Up until you chose the fire champion I found the trinity story line weak and bland. I will admit though after that point it was a game worthy of the title Suikoden; but before that I couldnt stand it.

  2. #22
    tol
    Guest

    I think 2>5>1>4>3 for myself.. I had a REALLY hard time getting into 3. I didn't really mind 4 all that much, it's definitely the ugly duckling of the series but I still enjoyed it.

    I think for 2011, 5 is the perfect mix of graphics, playability, and great story that really captures the brilliance of the 2. If you're looking to jump into Suikoden series, 5 or 2 are my suggestions.

  3. #23
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I'd start with one if for no other reason than to set up two. Recruiting McDohl is worth the effort, ha.

  4. #24
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    758
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Azlea Mhoone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    My game glitched at the end of one about 4 screens from the last save crystal so I couldn't recuit McDohl.... I was pissed.

  5. #25
    Chram
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,667
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by tol View Post
    LLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCC
    Fixed.

  6. #26
    CoP Dynamis
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    262
    BG Level
    4

    Suikoden 3 on PS2 in probably my favorite JRPG ever. But... it's a JRPG. I used to be one of those people that had every single JRPG during the ps1/ps2 days but now I can't stand them.

  7. #27
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I really loved 3, couldn't get into 1 &2, but that was mostly because I never tried them until way after 3, so hard to get into old games. I played 4 for a bit and it sucked. never tried 5, 'cause I figured the only thing I liked about 3 was the split storylines. I guess I should try it sometime though if I find it cheap.
    Same deal here. I will probably finish 2 someday, but I started with 3 and loved it, and couldnt go back to the first 2 games after.

  8. #28
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I'd love to recommend I+II to more people simply because of the massive epic storyline, but considering that they weren't top of the line graphics for their time, it's hard to ask people to put on their nostalgia goggles and dive in. I remember Suikoden II especially getting a lot of complaints since it came out around the same time as Final Fantasy VIII.

  9. #29
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,739
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    When the original lead developer was there he stated that Yuber vs. Pesmerga will happen in the final entry in the series. If I'm not mistaken there's still what, like 8 or 9 True Runes to reveal first?

    Soul Eater
    Rune of the Beginning
    True Fire/Wind/Water/Earth/Lightning
    Sun Rune
    Rune of Punishment
    Moon Rune
    Eightfold Rune
    Circle Rune
    That Rune that ancient civilization leader carried with him, can't remember now. Rune of Change?
    Dragon Rune
    Sovereign Rune
    Gate Rune
    . . . can't remember any more at the moment.
    Beast & Night runes.

    And the issue with Yuber/Pesmerga and Harmonia is that the original creator/writer/whatever of Suikoden left Konami about halfway through development of Suikoden 3.

  10. #30
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I know. Those things make me sad.

  11. #31
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,717
    BG Level
    7

    Suikoden 4 is the best Suikoden besides the original.

    Suikoden 2 is pretty mediocre outside of anything Luca-related, and Suikoden 3 is quite the abortion. 5 is passable, but needs work.

  12. #32
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,804
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    Suikoden 4 is the best Suikoden besides the original.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost...eIfSerious.jpg

  13. #33
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I had a hard time getting into Suikoden Tierkries. I didn't like the look of it, the voice work. Just didn't feel like a Suikoden game. I might have to set up my PS1 emulator now. ;x

  14. #34
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,717
    BG Level
    7

    The two biggest things people complain about in Suikoden 4 are The Sailing and The Plot.

    The Sailing complaints hold absolutely no water at all. Holding R2 or whatever makes the ship sail fast. If that's not your cup of tea, the game gives you Viki and the Blinking Mirror pretty early on in, making transportation (as in most Suikoden games) and all subsequent complaints pretty moot.

    The other is The Plot. Most people complain about Snowe, saying how much they didn't "like him". But the fact that the player hates Snowe shows how brilliant of a character he is, and most players can't differentiate a character that they "hate" from a character that is underdeveloped or a drag to the story as a whole. There's also complaints about Graham Cray as a villain, and his motivations, all of which seemed pretty clear to me -- (outside of the final boss, that tree only makes sense if you play Tactics.

    The sad fact is, most of the individuals who complain about Suikoden 4's plot is that they would rather have the sappy, melodramatic mess of a plot that is Suikoden 3, rather than a straight-forward story that is Suikoden 4. It pulls no punches, and is a fantastic game for it. Players look to hate Suikoden 4, if for no other reason than it's not Suikoden 3; even though 4 is the most like the original game out of that entire series because of what it does well.

  15. #35
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I was actually enjoying the plot. The overworld movement was just way too clumsy for me, and yes I knew about the dash button. But saying Suikoden IV is better than II or V is just madness.

  16. #36
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    Suikoden 4 is the best Suikoden besides the original.

    Suikoden 2 is pretty mediocre outside of anything Luca-related, and Suikoden 3 is quite the abortion. 5 is passable, but needs work.
    2/10

  17. #37
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,717
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    2/10
    Cute, but my logic is sound.

  18. #38
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,739
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    My main issue with 4 really was the complete lack of character development and growth for most of the random stars you recruit.

    Also, the strategist was very unmemorable, but maybe that's just me. :/

  19. #39
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,284
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    It's not just you. Not even a little bit.

  20. #40
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    538
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    The two biggest things people complain about in Suikoden 4 are The Sailing and The Plot.

    The Sailing complaints hold absolutely no water at all. Holding R2 or whatever makes the ship sail fast. If that's not your cup of tea, the game gives you Viki and the Blinking Mirror pretty early on in, making transportation (as in most Suikoden games) and all subsequent complaints pretty moot.

    The other is The Plot. Most people complain about Snowe, saying how much they didn't "like him". But the fact that the player hates Snowe shows how brilliant of a character he is, and most players can't differentiate a character that they "hate" from a character that is underdeveloped or a drag to the story as a whole. There's also complaints about Graham Cray as a villain, and his motivations, all of which seemed pretty clear to me -- (outside of the final boss, that tree only makes sense if you play Tactics.

    The sad fact is, most of the individuals who complain about Suikoden 4's plot is that they would rather have the sappy, melodramatic mess of a plot that is Suikoden 3, rather than a straight-forward story that is Suikoden 4. It pulls no punches, and is a fantastic game for it. Players look to hate Suikoden 4, if for no other reason than it's not Suikoden 3; even though 4 is the most like the original game out of that entire series because of what it does well.
    This pretty much. If the plot of 4 didnt tie together as much as you would have liked; play Tactics as it is a continuation of the island nations plot.

    Oh and the reason all the strategist blow is because Shu is a boss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Suikoden DS
    By Doombear in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 2009-04-24, 14:06
  2. So I just got Suikoden 2 again
    By Zylo in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2007-06-19, 09:53