http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/2...nhl_normal.jpgESPN_NHL ESPN NHL coverage
Vigneault said he asked Luongo when score was 5-1 what he wanted to do; goalie said "don't even think about taking me out"
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/2...nhl_normal.jpgESPN_NHL ESPN NHL coverage
Vigneault said he asked Luongo when score was 5-1 what he wanted to do; goalie said "don't even think about taking me out"
As I said, they should have taken him out to start the 3rd. His confidence was shot, and further damage was done; he was doubting if he stopped a puck from the Bruins blue line.
As awesome as the hit Thomas and trying my best to not be a homer, was that hit even legal? lol.
It looked to me like a borderline interference call that usually does not get called in the playoffs. Not looking at the replay at the moment but I think Sedin lost the puck a moment before Thomas hit him, so its something some people would call a late hit but others just finishing your check.
e: watching again it's roughing at best but that is a very large stretch. It's a fine hit by Thomas (as far as I know? I'm fairly sure there are no rules against it).
It does beg the question as to why goalies can do that but are at the moment fairly protected all over the ice (especially in the crease).
Pretty sure a goalie out of their crease in front of their net are more or less fair game, it's just suicide to take a run at one, because if there is one sure way to get the other team to Bertuzzi you it's that. Crease/behind the net they're pretty protected.
I just had a look at the hit, Thomas was in his crease, Sedin was headed into the crease with one foot in and the other on the line, the crease is legally Thomas' ice so he was allowed to stand his ground there and even initiate the contact. The big complaint the Canucks(and other teams the Bruins faced this year) have had is that Thomas has at times initiated contact outside of the crease, that is most definitely illegal and he shouldn't keep getting away with it.
Thomas hit looked clean.
Rome hit was clearly late. I wouldn't object to a suspension. But then I thought the Chara-Pacy hit should have been a suspension too. Hit a guy illegally and cause him to be injured should always be a suspension. Hooray for consistency I guess.
Stupid hit to make, Vancity was rolling over Boston until they all went into the dressing room for first intermission and drank MAD juice.
Just sayin', look what happened after they pissed off the Hawks with the Seabrook hit, and this time they don't have a 3 game buffer lol
I doubt Rechi can go beast mode every game, but hey big respect to him if he can. Boston got lucky a couple times this game, the first goal is a good example. If Edler's stick doesn't disintegrate in his hand that puck is out and there is no goal. After that the Canucks just looked like shit. Be interested to see what changes, if ant AV makes, although I'm guessing Ballard is going to have to come in for Rome who will likely be suspended.
Eh that's not really a terrible loss, not like Ballard's a bad defenseman. It seems like every time AV wants to mix things up he just plays or sits Oreskovich, lol.
Also luongo played like butt. But I think he kind of gave up late in the 3rd.
It was somewhat late (not very late), not really blindside (though he did not see Rome coming, Rome came from a down-ice position), and it was a headshot (which, if it wasn't blindside is technically legal, though dirty if you are targeting someone's head even if it is your shoulder).
On one hand I really hate the fact that suspensions are so closely linked with injuries now. A guy could get "unlucky" with a big hit and concuss someone, and they are likely to get a penalty and possibly a suspension from that. On the other hand there will be a problem if concussions continue to run rampant. The quality of the game is in some danger, and it might take Crosby being out for another season for the NHL to start moving faster to combat concussions.
I guess it sounds ignorant (I'm not a major hockey fan), but I really don't understand how a concussion could keep a player out for so long. I mean...what the fuck? It is beyond confusing to me. Is there something about hockey that makes it so much more difficult to play after being concussed in comparison to...pretty much every other major sport?
Post-concussion symptoms include major issues with both awareness and lack of balance, it's incredibly hard to do simple things like picking pucks up out of traffic, keeping aware of where other people are so you don't just get drilled again, and even just being able to stand up on two small pieces of metal.
Football's about the only similar deal out of the major sports, all sports your performance will be severely affected, but only in hockey/football/something like rugby/etc are you putting yourself in major danger of serious brain damage or even death by going back out there.
Thomas officially credited with a hit on last night's box score, fucking awesome lol