
Originally Posted by
Lucavi
This is what XI and nothing else for so many years has done to neckbeards. They're perfectly willing to read about and compliment a cliche, contrite story about teamwork and working together with fellow man to combat evil, but as soon as they make their character, they instantly rush to get into a clique and then hiss and spray venom at any other "fellow man" that is around. It's a combination of a bunch of old cranky men screaming for kids to get off their lawn and a bunch of paranoid-laden conspiracy theorists claiming that the world is against them and only them.
I'm not completely against a "you claim, its all you" system, but I'd like the lore to reflect the actual game design, or vice versa, especially when you have idiots screaming up and down about how "superior" the plot in SE MMOs are compared to other MMOs. If SE is going to design selfish combat systems, then wrap the story and plot aspect around it. As it stands right now, there's a metric ton of hypocrisy both from the developers and the players. The devs are at least trying to change that, some 10 years later, but based on the "official" forums, it seems that they're the only one.
Edit:
And yes, there is a large number of problems with the proposed system. The biggest I can think of is a form of "greifing by proxy", especially considering SE is going to boneheaded route of only allowing he who claims to receive rewards, and even moreso through the silly system where the "better" you fight a mob, the more you get. If I'm 15 levels stronger than a guy and I beat up on his mobs to "help" him, he's going to get shitty XP and rewards. GW2 blows this system out of the water by simply giving everyone their own loot pool. We don't know how deep the rewards tie into actual performance in GW2, but its already a step above by simply removing penalties for helping fellow man. Based on the boss fights they've shown so far, if fellow man isn't helping one another out, that world is right fucked anyway.
I just hope SE doesn't start trying to pull from GW2 months/years after it launches like they've done with WoW and Rift.