+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

5 and 9 don't really have the cast to support full game side stories. 6 does but they probably confuse no one buying that atrocious ios version with no one being interested in the property. 8, as much as I'd love them to canonize Rinoa=Ultimecia, I'd rather they never touch it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    5 and 9 don't really have the cast to support full game side stories. 6 does but they probably confuse no one buying that atrocious ios version with no one being interested in the property. 8, as much as I'd love then to canonized Rinoa=Ultimecia, I'd rather they never touch it.
    Oh god, not again... they've already said it's not canon in FFVIII's Ultimania, let it go lol.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

9 doesn't have the cast? Wot.

Also you do know that the FFX sequel came with a main cast of 3 right?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

9 only had one interesting character and their story started and ended in the span of the game.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

9 only had one interesting character and their story started and ended in the span of the game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well I wouldn't want a IX-2 without Gigi, just saying. Gimme a remake instead.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Who the fuck is Gigi.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I didn't play that game long enough to ever get to that >.>

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Who else could carry a game? They could go full furry pandering and do a story about Freya. Maybe a prequel with Beatrix too. But Amarant, Steiner, Quina, and Eiko are all too one-note to give a shit about.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Steiner and Vivi's kid on a buddy adventure. I'd play it.

Sequels, prequels, and side-quels are cancer to interesting and innovative storytelling.

Remakes are benign tumors at best.

Nostalgia mining is the creative equivalent of dipping your head into a bowl of warm water.

Fuck memberberries.

Fight me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

9's story works wonderfully for what it is: self contained stories about 8 (9 if you count Beatrix, Zidane and Kuja count as one story) characters challenging how they perceive the world around them. Expanding Beatrix into before Queen Brahne was corrupted or Garnet/Sarah after she fled from Madain Sari are cool individual character development episodes but not enough to carry a game narrative for 40+ hours.

X-2's story did have only 3 real main characters, but two of them are already known and pretty deep and the third is expanded on fairly well through the course of the game. It helped that X's presentation really developed the emotional impact of it's ending, and if the game was on the PSX I don't think it would be as well regarded as it is. That let X-2 get away with a smaller cast as the narrative was already hyper focused on Yuna and fixing what she lost after restoring what Spira lost.

I can see 8 of all titles getting a working sequel in game form. There is a lot there to deal with regarding the descendants of Hyde and what happens to the Sorceress now that Rinoa is the last of its line. But even then they gave everyone in Garden a pretty happy ending and wrapped up that narrative with a bow so that might be a hard stretch to revist unless it gets a little campy with "Well guess what guys, Ultimecia is back and shes MAD!".

tl;dr sequels generally suck from a narrative perspective if the original game did a good job, and whats the point of said sequel if the narrative did do a good job? X was an exception because of its presentation and built in story elements, but not enough for a playable X-3. Stick to the light novel SE.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    9's story works wonderfully for what it is: self contained stories about 8 (9 if you count Beatrix, Zidane and Kuja count as one story) characters challenging how they perceive the world around them. Expanding Beatrix into before Queen Brahne was corrupted or Garnet/Sarah after she fled from Madain Sari are cool individual character development episodes but not enough to carry a game narrative for 40+ hours.

X-2's story did have only 3 real main characters, but two of them are already known and pretty deep and the third is expanded on fairly well through the course of the game. It helped that X's presentation really developed the emotional impact of it's ending, and if the game was on the PSX I don't think it would be as well regarded as it is. That let X-2 get away with a smaller cast as the narrative was already hyper focused on Yuna and fixing what she lost after restoring what Spira lost.

I can see 8 of all titles getting a working sequel in game form. There is a lot there to deal with regarding the descendants of Hyde and what happens to the Sorceress now that Rinoa is the last of its line. But even then they gave everyone in Garden a pretty happy ending and wrapped up that narrative with a bow so that might be a hard stretch to revist unless it gets a little campy with "Well guess what guys, Ultimecia is back and shes MAD!".

tl;dr sequels generally suck from a narrative perspective if the original game did a good job, and whats the point of said sequel if the narrative did do a good job? X was an exception because of its presentation and built in story elements, but not enough for a playable X-3. Stick to the light novel SE.
    I know it's not part of the discussion but VIII need an HD

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So I platinumed X back in July - A couple things about blitz having gone through it
    :
    It takes 6~8 hours to get this, depending on how good you are at blitzball:

The reset method is bullshit. Learning to play it takes a while, but once you get it down you can do crazy crap like go back in the game and win the first tournament:

And this:
    ¬.¬

Also: Doing Kimahri's lance runs between trying for Chocobo racing really took the edge off. You get better at dodging too, which turned out to be really important. Still: Fuck.Chocobo.Racing

9's cast existed in quicktime events - if they took those out and updated the game itself, that would be good.

The PSX games and all the others are stuck in the same limbo:
    SE has to rebuild them from mostly scratch for whatever system they are porting it to. Over the last decade, they've produced 4 main releases if you go from 12-15, over 4 different consoles, and 14 on the PC. In the <decade before that, 7, 8, 9, X, and XI came out within 5 years of one another with other stuff like Tactics in thrown in.

Dev times are a part of this, but if they (fucking finally) start serializing the only real limit they have is getting the engine ready and keeping up with episode deadlines. The whole story needs to be laid out, but the game itself doesn't need to be 100% from start to finish like a full game release.

The FF7 remake will probably lead to the rest of the series getting a similar upgrade, but we're all going to have to wait and see how fast that will be. It would be really freaking stupid for them to have 10+ full game "templates" for a next gen release and do nothing with them.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

canonize Rinoa=Ultimecia
    they could still do (or not do) that in a future remake for VIII, which i see as an eventuality given that a remake of 7 is in the works.

FFX does not need a part 3. As mentioned, X was Tidus's story, X-2 was Yuna's story. Both ended and resolved the characters.
    Will and the X-2.5 book shat on the closure that the characters had 10 years after the fact. I still refuse to accept it as canon (and generally ignore anything that isn't the actual game as canon to play it safe).
    The only interest I have in a 3rd FFX story would be if they let us do FFX-0, ie. Braska's pilgrimage, the only purpose of which would be to enrich the backstories for Braska's pilgrimage and the state of Spira back then (which wasn't that different anyway, given how little Spira changed due to Sin's existence). It wouldn't be a very good game probably.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

VIII would be infinitely better just because the battle system favors action-oriented fights.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Who else could carry a game? They could go full furry pandering and do a story about Freya. Maybe a prequel with Beatrix too. But Amarant, Steiner, Quina, and Eiko are all too one-note to give a shit about.
    Steiner is amazing

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I have been playing this game on the the PS4 (the PS4 version of the game). Is there a way for cross-save to work on the Vita version for this game?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Since this thread is already bumped, was doing monster creator in X-2 when randomly I got the beat Trema trophy during the coliseum fight, don't know if this is a common bug, but was wtfing at why it happened lol.