FFXIV Character
    Adrianne Lehmen
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Man Arrested for Illegal Possession of Taco

http://www.courthous...09/02/39495.htm

RALEIGH, N.C. (CN) - A man who was eating a taco at a Raleigh bus stop says a cop swept-kicked him to the ground, broke his leg and arrested him, then hauled him before a judge who sentenced him to 30 days in jail for contempt, because he could not stand on his broken leg.

Lynwood Earl Artis sued Raleigh police Officer James Rollins, Wake County and its sheriff, and others, in Federal Court.

Artis said that after buying his dinner at the Armadillo Grill, he "quietly began to eat his taco, waiting for the bus," when Rollins "approached Artis on foot ... and asked if a beer was his."

"Artis leaned forward and saw what appeared to be a discarded can of beer that had been concealed from his view" by a newspaper rack. He says he told Rollins, "'Why, Officer, if that beer were mine, I would be enjoying it with my meal.'" And he resumed eating his taco.

He says Rollins asked him for ID, then "Without either warning or being told he was under arrest, Rollins grabbed Artis by his still taco-laden arm, and spun Artis around with great force, which pivoted Artis on his left leg and sent the hapless taco flying.
    "Rollins twisted Artis' arm behind his back and then swept-kicked Artis' legs from the side and threw him to the ground.

"All of Artis' weight was still on his left leg from being spun by Rollins, and Artis felt and heard his lower left leg sicken[ing]ly crack when Rollins swept-kicked him."
    Artis adds that he "was not in possession of a deadly weapon; he was, however, in legal and actual possession of a taco, which Artis did not wield in any threatening manner."

Artis was taken to the Wake County Detention Center, where, unable to get out of the car on his own, and at his own insistence, he was put into a wheelchair. He was charged with "misdemeanor open container malt beverage and disorderly conduct," then wheeled before a magistrate at 10:10 p.m. It was Sept. 11, 2010.

He says sheriff's deputies "continued to heckle" him as he was wheeled into court - they told him there was nothing wrong with him. Artis told the judge that "he could not stand because his leg was broken." He was "in serious and intense pain because of his shattered leg, was confused as to why he had been arrested, was extremely frustrated by the heckling, that no one believed he was seriously hurt, and that he was not getting urgently needed medical attention."

It took Magistrate Bostrom 4 minutes to find Artis in contempt of court and sentence him to 30 days in jail, with no bond, Artis said. Eleven minutes later, Bostrom agreed to set bond at $1,000, according to the complaint.

Artis spent the night in jail without medical attention and, says that "several times during Artis' stay in the holding cell he had to urinate on the floor where he lay" because jailers would not bring him a wheelchair.

Nearly 12 hours after he was arrested, a nurse finally inspected his leg and "observed ... that Artis' left leg could not bear weight; that his left knee and lower leg area was swollen and deformed; and that parasthesia was noted." The nurse ordered him to be sent immediately to a hospital emergency room.

Artis had pins inserted in his leg and "awoke from surgery to find his belongings next to his hospital bed and a nurse informed him that he was no longer in custody."
    He says that Officer Rollins refused to testify at the trial and all charges were dropped, "with a note in the file stating that 'Rollins said he will not testify b/c he does not recall incident.'"

Artis seeks punitive damages for false arrest, false imprisonment, battery, malicious prosecution and intentional infliction of emotional distress. He is represented by Eric Doggett and Gregory Kash of Raleigh and Billy Strickland II of Goldsboro.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

epic.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Cop needs to be fired, judge needs a reprimend, and some suspensions for the jail officers who refused to contact PHS about his leg.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

He better sue for loss of taco while he's at it. That's a crime in itself to deprive a man of his rightfully purchased food.

Really fucked up if this is legit though.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

fuck the police, yo

Good ol' NC. I have a friend that works in the Raleigh court house - I'll have to ask her if she saw this, lol

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Man Arrested for Illegal Possession of Taco
    in legal ... possession of a taco

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The best part of this story is how he wakes up and all his shit is there like the police think he's just gonna let bygones be bygones.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Guy is going to get paid.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The best part of this story is how he wakes up and his entire story was on reddit two days ago.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    fuck the police, yo
    I'll fuck em for the both of us, friend

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Did Rollings look like a hobo? Cops really hate hobos.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Looks like there is a new millionaire in North Carolina.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Shouldn't have been eating a taco in a warzone.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    Good ol' NC.
    Yep. Sounds about right.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

thats crazy man

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Weird they didn't let him go to the hospital. Its policy to send people in custody to the hospital in our town as soon as they say they are sick or in pain. An ambulance is called and they are at the hospital within the hour.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

That must've been one delicious taco.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Shouldn't have been eating a taco in a warzone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast