No, they don't.
Unless the playerbase really picks up before the PS3 release, in which case sure.
The only reason not to abolish the gathering fatigue is to prevent bots, a point I can agree with to the extent that it actually has a "share the wealth" effect. With the upcoming changes less items will be needed overall and many items are becoming exclusive to gathering classes only, stimulating the economy in a very bottom-up way (if you consider low-high as DoL > DoH > DoW/M). It makes sense on paper when players are limited to only one class in each category, and so we'll have to see how it works in practice. However we know, and have already seen, how players take the path of least resistance.
I don't see them ever finding a balance because the game is so open-ended. While options are a great thing, one has to consider how the significant these changes really are. The wards are already bought out for preemptive price-gouging of certain items (ie. Hog Hide, HQ rivets, etc.) and people are starting to convert their logs/ingots/ores into mass production products now that will yield much lower results post-patch. It's a long-term model that I like and I really hope it works.
For me, the one piece of the equation still left out is the reseller market. Their only limiting factors to it are 1) cannot sell items unless repaired to 100% (not significant factor) and 2) ward/bazaar tax (which effects item producers as much as it does resellers). I've been saying it for awhile but I would really like to see them close the loop by making crafted items Bind on Equip. This really should be part of a long-term model to help things settle.
"Ifrit bleeds, we can kill it."
I admit, it made me smile. lol
double post to emphasize
It's not "picking up on subs." People who played through betas and (regretfully) pre-ordered the game are coming back to test the waters now that there's actually something to do. You know, actually playing the game gives you a semi decent sense of player activity over playing armchair developer on a forum somewhere.
I've seen a fair amount of new players on Rabanastre since 1.18, I wish I could have some data to support but it's just from what I've seen.
You don't really need anything "concrete" to see the huge increase in players. If you travel down the highway at 5pm you're going to see a shitload more traffic than at 2am. That's an easy observation. You don't need to hunt down statistics for something so obvious. Just like the number of people playing this game right now.
Anyway I found this post interesting. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...194#post363194 It all points to a level cap increase at 1.21. Sure they could stuff those mats into current ranks and make lower rank goobbues but it seems more likely it will be grade 6 shit. Really can't see them using gold and platinum at our ranks, it would be a waste of good metals.
you guys keep acting pleased and theyre gonna think they can start charging monthly
but we don't need more content, apparently.
oh no, the few thousand people are pissed there wasn't enough content for them. better take them seriously or they might just quit and stop paying (after a drought of like 6 months with nothing to do).