Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 955
  1. #141
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    127
    BG Level
    3

    How does the traffic/transportation work? I've read that every sim is accounted for in their daily travels (going to work, and wherever else). So it's sort of a realistic traffic simulator as opposed to just having areas that are somehow determined to be congested.

  2. #142
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,651
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by avelle View Post
    Ya, pretty sure it's not going anywhere. I don't mind it as I'm always on the internet anyways and I plan to mostly play multiplayer with the way regions work but I can understand it being a disappointment to some.
    My apartment complex has issues (Verizon DSL), I tend to drop connection at least once an evening for a few minutes, occasionally multiple times. I had techs fix what they could in my apartment, including finding some old cut wires in the circuit whose ends were laying in water (don't ask, water heater issue as well) ruining the DSL signal, but I fear there are issues with whatever is between my apartment and the main street.

    Had the same bullshit when I had Comcast TV years ago. The tech lost his entire day of installs due to spending it at my house replacing every inch of cable wire, only to eventually call in a boss to bring a signal meter to my place and find out the wires out under the lawn were old and couldn't carry a clear signal any more. They eventually fixed some of it to meet whatever minimum signal requirements they need to meet at install time, but after about 2 months of channels getting distorted blocky images, I cancelled.

    That, and DRM is bullshit, plain and simple. I already made the mistake when I swore I wouldn't get Diablo 3 but did anyway. Not making that mistake again.

  3. #143
    Electric Six groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

    Quote Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
    How does the traffic/transportation work? I've read that every sim is accounted for in their daily travels (going to work, and wherever else). So it's sort of a realistic traffic simulator as opposed to just having areas that are somehow determined to be congested.
    Basically. Routes seem to be better, too - but not sure if they are still using shortest-path or fastest-path methods. Also, buildings take time to hire people, as well. So in the past you could plop down whatever you wanted and have it usable immediately (fire dept, hospital, etc), but now you have to wait until it gets employed - usually an hour game-time or so, and not sure if day/night affects it yet.

    That reminds me, the game is run hourly now instead of daily, which I'm not sure if that was noted in the trailers or not, but makes for a better simulation (traffic at night/day is different, workers and students are at home at night, etc). I like it, at least.

  4. #144
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,662
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria



    For anyone curious about the Digital Deluxe version.

  5. #145
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Yep. Just going to have to eat the DRM on this one until someone patches the shit out of it with a crack. This isn't like battlefield 3, where there are 30 billion other shooters out there. Cities XL is absolute garbage, Tropico isn't the same, and Sim City 4 barely works on modern-era graphics cards. Plus the game itself is pretty damned good this time around.

    I don't like the idea of DRMing it up (to be shut down 6 years from now when they've milked the final expansion pack dry) or dropping $60 on it, but I have to get my cocaine fix somewhere and dammit, this is some good-ass cocaine..
    One of the previews I read said that they yanked the cord to see what would happen and there's a limited local storage save that allows data to be saved for a limited time before it's cut off entirely. Would they not be able to patch in a larger local storage if they did pull the online down entirely? (Granted if they don't bother to do it early, I doubt they'll do it half a decade from now).

  6. #146
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,640
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    You get 15 minutes at best, based on preliminary reports. The time doesn't bother me, as my internet works 99.8% of the time I need it to. My issue is with the PR spin behind the choice to restrict the game from being played if not online, which is nothing but for DRM purposes, as if people won't pirate the shit out of the game once some brainy neckbeard genius breaks it to play offline.

    I hate liars, and by extension, I hate PR. I get it; companies are all about maximizing profits and pleasing the shareholders. I understand that, but you don't have to lie to us. We know better. Many of us are invested in stocks, so we understand.

    As I said before, however, the city genre is a thin one; my hatred of lying cannot overtake my desire for a new city game. I've waited nearly 10 years for this one, and I will be purchasing it, but I will also be pirating the living shit out of it to ensure that I can play it down the road when EA shuts down the servers. I also do not, for one single minute, believe anything EA says about needing to funnel or shunt any data onto their "super computers". Working in the industry I do, I've seen super computers; the piddly tech EA is presumably using for a low-tier game like this (this won't make them the money that the bigger games will, and the project was barely green-lighted until the team could essentially prove that they could make a profit from it) isn't some required thing.

  7. #147
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Fair enough, I certainly don't disagree with you there.

    Can't wait for March 5th. :D

  8. #148
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,640
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    Begrudgingly agreed.

  9. #149
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,662
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Begrudgingly agreed.
    You know you want it, you'll take it and like it.

  10. #150
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,640
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    The ball gag's in my mouth; that doesn't mean I like it!

  11. #151
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    I'll take it and like it!...... >.>

  12. #152
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,662
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

    http://vine.co/v/bJPFHDJ5xUr

    A preview of the zoning changes they are making as a result of the feedback they got from beta. It appears that it is showing the maximum size of the lot for the density of road you are zoning next to but unless you were zoning next to the highest density roads you still won't know how much space you'll need.

  13. #153
    Electric Six groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

    It'd be nice if the grid layout for streets would incorporate zone sizes - I'm still not sure what their general grid is supposed to relate to.

  14. #154
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,662
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    It'd be nice if the grid layout for streets would incorporate zone sizes - I'm still not sure what their general grid is supposed to relate to.
    I think one of the developers mentioned they did a poor job of explaining the grid lines (like not at all) and that they would do better moving forward.

  15. #155
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Ok, so I just noticed the Deluxe version pre-order on Origin has a $50 credit for other purchases. How does payment work on Pre-order from Origin. Are you charge right away or when the game goes live? I'm a little short to drop $80 right now, but that $50 credit is the only way I'm going to get the Deluxe.

  16. #156
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,662
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

    Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Ok, so I just noticed the Deluxe version pre-order on Origin has a $50 credit for other purchases. How does payment work on Pre-order from Origin. Are you charge right away or when the game goes live? I'm a little short to drop $80 right now, but that $50 credit is the only way I'm going to get the Deluxe.
    I believe they have already charged me for my preorder I placed on the 26th. I'm pretty sure I saw it on my statement when I was looking at my finances last night. A word of caution on the $50 credit though. Apparently it's 5 10$ coupons to be used on any item over the price of $20 and I believe I saw that it expires at the end of March. So basically EA is the worst fucking company ever. They charge you before release, they give out shitty coupons, and they expire in like 2 months. I still bought the digital deluxe though. I'm so weak.

  17. #157
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,651
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    As I said before, however, the city genre is a thin one; my hatred of lying cannot overtake my desire for a new city game. I've waited nearly 10 years for this one, and I will be purchasing it.
    Honestly, I don't blame you or anyone in this thread who does get it. But I guess none of us can pretend this isn't why DRM like this doesn't go away. We're all goddamn digital crack addicts. I'll just need to chain myself in a basement like a werewolf on a full moon when this releases. Only way I'm playing this is when fully pirated version surfaces ... they're not getting a penny from me.

  18. #158
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Quote Originally Posted by avelle View Post
    I believe they have already charged me for my preorder I placed on the 26th. I'm pretty sure I saw it on my statement when I was looking at my finances last night. A word of caution on the $50 credit though. Apparently it's 5 10$ coupons to be used on any item over the price of $20 and I believe I saw that it expires at the end of March. So basically EA is the worst fucking company ever. They charge you before release, they give out shitty coupons, and they expire in like 2 months. I still bought the digital deluxe though. I'm so weak.
    Bleh maybe I'll just stick with the standard then.

  19. #159
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,640
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    I'm holding off on digital deluxe. I'll pick up the extra content (you KNOW they'll sell it later) at a discounted price during some holiday sale or something.

  20. #160
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,662
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I'm holding off on digital deluxe. I'll pick up the extra content (you KNOW they'll sell it later) at a discounted price during some holiday sale or something.
    That's ok, if we play in the same region you can come admire my Eiffel Tower and then shortly thereafter I will surrender my city to you.

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Sims 3
    By Ikith in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2009-06-24, 11:14
  2. Sims 3
    By Ksandra in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 2009-06-06, 17:21
  3. Sim City: Virtual Console
    By Norelco in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 2009-02-14, 16:00