Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Right, because people won't suck with a gear damage system...

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Yeah, it's important to note that gear is only damaged upon death. It's not like WoW's where it takes damage every time you get hit. Also, just going into the downed state isn't enough. You've got to be dead dead. All said, it's not too bad.

The Repair system does not punish you for being active, this is not FF14, it does however punish you for constantly dying. Only after you die about 6 times in a row you start losing gear. Its basically a way to let you know if you are way in over your head or to let you know "Am I doing it right?".

I played a bit of underwater and it works. the new skills even takes the z axis into consideration but allowing you float mobs above you, or even sink mobs below you. Aoes are no just a flat circles but they have an added 3rd dimension. The camera controls are good. I think the only thing that I do not like and have to get used to is the fact that if you swim on the surface you have no skills available, and you have to go under in order to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Imitarate View Post
    Aww. Should have read more before i spoke up. All I knew was "repair system." That is a pretty good death penalty. Objection revoked.
    I'm not 100% sure. But I think stuff can break during combat...

<_<;

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    I'm not 100% sure. But I think stuff can break during combat...

<_<;
    Nope. only Dying, its not really a durability system. And its only armor, not weapons as far as I know.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

I have a hard time with distance underwater. It can be a bit disorienting.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Where's Lucavi? I need more supporters for out-of-water polearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    People will suck and will always suck
    Fixed.

On a more serious note, the inconvenience of having to run back from a waypoint is usually enough of a punishment. Gear breaking down on you in the middle of a dungeon, potentially ruining your chances of getting through the run after you've learned from your mistakes seems a bit harsh. It results in a situation where instead of being smacked about the face for screwing up and then pressing on, instead you get kicked in the balls and told to keep running that marathon, and when you fall down again from the pain of trying to run a marathon after having your balls kicked they come up and kick you in the balls again. It's nice that all of your equipment has to get worn down before any of it will break, but it's still a real bitch of a penalty.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Yeah, the gear breaking down kinda sucks. But if you plan on doing the explorable mode and think you might be facing a challenge, people will learn to bring an extra set of gear, IMO. And at least you can teleport around so it's not like you have to run all the way back to town and run back or anything.

I'm not arguing that it's a good feature, just that it's not a big deal (in my opinion anyway).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I'm not really a fan of the quick travel system. I know there's a huge anti-mount movement going on in GW2 but i'd rather have mounts than quick travel. No stupid flying mounts though.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

I prefer teleporting over AFKing on flight-paths. As far as Mounts, I don't care one way or another a whole lot. I do like that you'd probably be more inclined to be involved in the world if you aren't moving too fast through it (though that could be an argument against teleporting) but I also really enjoy collecting mounts and the fun aesthetics of it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Oh no no, i dislike flight paths as well. I was speaking of just normal ground mounts so you have to actually make your way through the world instead of around it.

My point is that with 0 incentive you will have people that will not get better at all. But if peoples gear keeps breaking because they keep dieing then they might attempt to play better. Will it work for 100% of the population? No. But it will help some realize that they need to change their play style.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elrina Miona
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Honestly, and I feel like a minority, but I like flying mounts.

I actually logged into WoW a few times a week or two ago (Blizz gave me a free week), and one of the only things I definitely missed was the ability to fly around. That was probably one of the first things I said to people, "I miss flying". I always ran around and was involved enough when I wanted to be. When I didn't want to be, I didn't have to be, and didn't have to deal with all of the annoying bullshit that gets in the way when you just want to travel around or go from point A to B. I loved the feel of being able to fly around and move through that third axis (I'm looking forward to the underwater stuff), the only negative aspect to me was the inability to fight while in the air.

Especially with quick travel systems in place, like teleports/etc., I don't really understand the point in leaving them out, but that's me. Probably one of the few things about GW2 I'm not crazy about, the definite lack of them, and the native movement speed.

Oh, and the gear break/repair system seems fine. The death penalty could be way worse, this is actually pretty well done imo.

Well technically there are mounts like golems and such, but its not for travel, but for fighting lol.

Clearly not Tonko
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Oh no no, i dislike flight paths as well. I was speaking of just normal ground mounts so you have to actually make your way through the world instead of around it.
    Yeah. My point is that the quick travel system replaces flight paths rather than mounts. That's all.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Isn't the durability/repair system that... You die, one piece breaks, but there's not a penalty until you break it all? Or did they change that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy-Killer View Post
    Isn't the durability/repair system that... You die, one piece breaks, but there's not a penalty until you break it all? Or did they change that?
    you die it gets damaged, after all your gear is damaged then it starts to break.

Onto plan B...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Guess I need to see it in action to really get a feel for it. I think durability won't be an issue. One of my minor complaints, without playing the game, is the constant downscaling. I kinda think it should be optional/only enforced on dynamic events. I don't always want to be level 12 to go help someone in the starting area, per say. It might work but it just... Eh. I'll forgive them for making the game awesome otherwise.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I absolutely love the down-scaling for everything. It means i never outlevel any content and can play with who i want and when i want. I do understand that some may not though. It sorta goes against the whole level to become stronger thing rpg's are about. You'll still have more skills at your disposal though.