There's more than that, read the tumblr link Sera posted.
There's more than that, read the tumblr link Sera posted.
No, I get it - IC thinks that the military of the countries KONY is active has the best chance of bringing him down, and that's their goal.
The "manipulative" ways of portraying this monster as a monster is, well, duh I guess.
Yeah, people should know what IC wants to accomplish and how they accomplish it before blindly throwing money at the problem, but I hardly think this is a "corrupt" organization. If I see evidence that they are a shill for the Ugandan government or something then I'd be totally with you.
also how the fuck has this guy evaded capture for so long - he's going for Bin Laden's hide-and-seek record.
I just think it is retarded and disingenuous to post the TOP employees salary of a decent sized charity and complain about it and then continue by complaining about operating costs and spending money to make a documentary that is related to their cause and is being used to raise awareness of the issue those are normal operating costs for a charity. Other stuff on the side might very well be corrupt and shitty.
I don't like the idea that they are focusing on Kony is stupid I think they should focus on the kids and getting help for them. Focusing on Kony so much is too much of a scapegoat situation and Kony might not even be alive but even if he was getting rid of him wouldn't stop terrible things from happening in these regions of Africa where there are huge tribe wars going on.
I don't remember calling them corrupt. A fraud, yes. Corrupt? No.
Sorry replace the word corrupt with fraudulent, but the point still stands.
You never made a point to stand on, what is your point again? That you either didn't read nor acknowledge the damning evidence at how poorly and ineffective this "charity" spends its tax-free donations? I don't understand what you don't understand, man.
My statement was pretty clear and straight forward I don't really know how to dumb it down for you. I read the tumblr and I read the articles. Disagreeing with their tactics on how they portray the situation in their films does not make them fraudulent that is disagreeing with how they create their propaganda. The only fraud that I saw anywhere was the possibility that they are giving money directly to the Uganda army or that there is a possibility for more fraud that is still hidden because they haven't been externally audited.
The charity paying their top employees is not fraudulent, the charity paying for the movies to be made which they use to spread the word of their cause is not fraudulent. If you disagree with those tactics fine but that doesn't make it fraudulent.
When you're not spending the money on the cause you're advertising for, the children, and paying yourself and your buds to produce a well done 30 minute commercial with all the bells and whistles - yes, this is fraud. Welcome to the real world kiddo, not everything is what is says on the label.
Nowhere in the movie or on their website do they make any specific claims about where the money is going to go or how it will help the cause. If you find that please point it out. If they make claims like that then use the money elsewhere then yes you have fraud. If they don't make those claims then using the money to make movies that spread awareness of the issue and paying employees is all fair game.
How would you run a charity without paying for advertising/documentaries? How would you run a charity without any full time salaried employees? If you find a way please let the world know because that will likely get you a peace prize and revolutionize all charities.
This Kony2012 shit has only proven to thin down my lists of Facebook friends and people I follow on Twitter.
i don't even
Caring about the rest of the world is too mainstream.
It's not the way the charity is run that is the problem. The fact that he makes a short film/documentary/infomercial talking about one single person causing 30 years worth of strife, talks about the problem as if it's a new problem, makes it look like he is the only one doing anything about it, excludes vital information about the corruption of the Ugandan government, then says "give me your money". All this so he can wage his personal war against a guy that is a very small part of the much bigger problem that is called tribal warfare.
This campaign won't stop the violence against children in that part of the world. It will not suddenly make Uganda a utopia where everyone dances and sings on streets paved with gold. This campaign will bring attention to a huge problem in Uganda. It will also exclude the surrounding countries like The DR of Congo, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, and Northern Tanzania. The tribal leaders don't care about arbitrary border lines drawn on a map. There is no real centralized government that is capable of keeping the peace in these remote lands. Basically, 30 kilometers outside of major cities, there is no law. This is the reason Kony can hide so easily.
I know you're being tongue in cheek here, but honestly from what I'm reading, 80k is modest.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/__as...ised_Final.pdf
Pacific West - $267,048 / $155,442 / $95,939
It SEEMS like 80k is considered a rather fucking modest salary for their geographic location. It's well below the "low" threshold for non-profit CEO averages in that area.
Also http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...etail&listid=8
So it definitely could get worse, and we're also assuming that because their books aren't done/checked by an independent auditor that they are not legit. (A fair assumption, i'm just saying.)
adding "2012" at the end of this makes it seem a little too similar to the religion bullshit that goes around every year (aka passion 2012)
it could be, but propaganda video (whether good or bad) + the title, my brain immediately goes "fuck no"
i dont have a problem with the salaries or making the videos (that video at least). just based on what im seeing on facebook, that video could go a hella long way towards bringing in a lot more donations. If they put that money in the right place then woo-hoo way to go white people, if they use it to give themselves raises and buy nicer aeroplanes to aidsville well then SHAME ON YOU FRAT BOYS.