How much maintenance is it for upkeep? That's the only thing really holding me back from doing open loop watercooling. Seems like a lot of work to take everything apart every 6m-1year and clean the tubes and retest the system.
How much maintenance is it for upkeep? That's the only thing really holding me back from doing open loop watercooling. Seems like a lot of work to take everything apart every 6m-1year and clean the tubes and retest the system.
Putting it together is the most tedious part. Most guys keep on forgetting to have a drain valve, which is the big headache. I also use Koolance quick disconnect fittings so I can undo the loop without having to drain it in an emergency. Just unplug the fitting on the block, remove block, clean, put back on and just snap the fittings back on. Cleaning really is only required if you start seeing some discoloration in the liquid. You really only need to top off the water once every few months if you built it right.
My previous setup, with only a single dual rad, CPU and GPU block...I never had to clean it over a 3 year span. When I took it apart, it was still pretty damn clean. CPU block had a bit of debris, but nothing a simple tooth brush couldn't knock off. Simple distilled water with Petras biocide or a silver coil is all you need.
lol^
lol.................
I'm getting 3770k =p
I would give it a month or so and wait and see some benchmarks because the current few benchmarks that have surfaced of the new ivy bridge cpus are not awe inspiring in the least. I personally have been waiting on IB to do my MB/CPU/MEM build but I'm honestly just considering getting just a 2500k because there are pleanty of reports getting that cpu way over 5k while the people who have the new CPUs are struggling to get them above 4.6k ish (I know that every cpu is different and some won't go as fast as others. Thats why I advise to give it a month or so atleast.)
I'm happy with my i7 920 + 7950 for now, was thinking of upgrading to IB so I had USB/SATA3 and better quality hardware (built with budget MB ;; ) but I'm just going to wait for Haswell now (maybe even later than that).
Seriously I'm running a Q6600 OC'ed to 3.00ghz and an HD 5870 oc'ed slightly pushing high quality from most games to 1920x1200 res... and I'm thinking of waiting on Haswell after seeing the shitty IB display (Heres hoping it gets better!) I do want to upgrade but I can't justify such a small upgrade. Really the only thing pushing me over the line is that I has a 600gb sata3 raptor that is not being fully utilized.
Then I read other forums where people upgrade from a i7 9XX to sandy bridge or ivy bridge and I have to hold myself back from /facepalming because I can't understand a new MB CPU RAM for a minimal difference. I guess whatever you're into and how much disposable income.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you are looking to dump some money into a 3930k, you could always look at spending a bit more and purchasing a 3960x
http://ark.intel.com/products/63696/...he-3_30-GHz%29
I could not be more happy with it. But alas, the price tag is a little steeper.
This worries me. I thought i heard great things about the 3770k OC's. I also don't have a SB, so its a huge upgrade regardless. I was planning to OC it to at least 5.0 though on water.. I'll be sad if this can't happen
Yeah, looking at OC forums it seems like your rightIsn't IB supposed to have better graphics integration though?
don't see any reason to buy a 3960k over a 3930k. its like 300$ more for .1ghz
Hope you didn't buy those sli/xfired cards.
1 680 all the way.
Agreed. I won't slag their HD 4000 graphics integration. Its the most advanced graphics without a discreet card available that is out there, especially with overclocking however, as Arkanna said it won't mean much to you as you will be using a graphics card and will be bypassing its integration.
I hate it as much as you do I have specifically been holding off on buying a 2500k because IvyBridge was supposed to be a 10-20% increase in performance with a better overhead for overclocking and the results people are reporting are not only lower but hotter too? On a die shrink? Seriously what the fuck. Thats why I suggest waiting because I can only think that the first batch must not be their brightest moment...
Not yet. Been waiting to try and snag an evga signature SC, though dual monitor w/primary 27 at 2600x1440 may require me to get SLI. God I am fuckin depressed to hear this crap about the IB. Literally been waiting for the IB, but everything on OCs forums are stating that it's inferior to the SB 2700k /depressed
http://www.overclock.net/t/1245424/c...ew-and-ratings
at least this looks more promising
I don't think its a bad deal for a CPU. What I was bothered with was that it was speculated to be better as far in terms of speed and heat. I can't understand how they're hotter at the same speeds as SB so that is the reason im holding off. Im not sold either way but even if its just a side grade its still a good option because the z77 boards are on average $10-20 USD cheaper than Z68 boards with the same features and the addition of PCI-E 3.0. So regardless of it being an upgrade its a side grade at lthe very east and if you would buy a 2500k then a 3550k or 3770k is probably not a bad idea.
All this rabble aside. If you do go with Ivy Bridge unless you plan on doing something like video/photo editing, encoding, or rendering you don't need the hyperthreading in a 3770k, save yourself $100+ and get a 3550k.
When it comes to CPUs, if you aren't worried about the initial expenditure, I always buy E series over anything else. I bought a 980x like 2 yrs ago for $780, and can still sell it for $550-$600.
The depreciation on them is so low, it's about break even to buying a lower end processor over 2-3yrs, but you know, you get to have the best of the best during that time, but you keep the extra money locked in the purchase until you resell it and upgrade.
Or you could buy 2500k for $200 which, for gaming, is faster than a 980x and about as fast as any of the SB-E (other than when using SLI 680 due to x16/x16 PCI-E 3.0 on X79s apparently)
meh, I'm gonna stick to the 3770k. prolly a bad choice... early benchmarks seem a bit mix, people just seem upset because its a marginal upgrade/difference. And I plan to just get a single EVGA signature SC whenever I can actually grab one from their site....