• Navigation
Page 480 of 565 FirstFirst ... 430 470 478 479 480 481 482 490 530 ... LastLast
Results 9581 to 9600 of 11292
  1. #9581
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,710
    BG Level
    8

    like how Tippet basically said they Kings are getting all the calls, that we dive, etc, lol.

  2. #9582
    A Magic Ham Sandwich
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    NHL los angeles

  3. #9583
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    310
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Blade's Edge

    Nice to see LA won again. They're the only team still in the playoffs with players i still like lol. So go kings i guess?

  4. #9584
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,710
    BG Level
    8

    With a straight face, Phoenix coach Dave Tippett essentially accused the Kings of embellishing penalties and benefitting from calls. In Game 3 tonight, the Coyotes were called for six penalties and the Kings were called for two penalties, but presumably Tippett hasn’t seen recent video of Mike Smith and Martin Hanzal…

    TIPPETT: “They’re getting some breaks on calls, I think, and eventually that wore us down.’’

    Question: What did you think of the officiating?

    If I told you what I really thought, I think it would cost me a lot of money. Personally, the whole — and I’ve talked about this in a lot of meetings with Don (Maloney), our general manger — the game is turning a little dishonest, and it’s embellishment by players. Because they know. When it’s done well, it’s very hard for the referees, very hard. Because if you fall down near the boards or you drop your stick or you throw your head back, you’re putting the referee in a very tough situation. Not just our game tonight. You see it all the way through. The referees have a hard job, and it makes the game dishonest. In actual fact, to make it work in your favor, you have to do it more. You have to do it. If everybody else is going to do it, you have to do it too. We saw more than one penalty out there, for us and against us, that were called that I thought were plays that was embellishment. So it’s too bad that it has to go that way. It’s too bad that you get to this point in the season, that that gets to be a factor, but that’s reality in our game right now.’’

    Darryl Sutter was asked about Tippett’s accusations.

    SUTTER: “Embellishing? I didn’t see that. We didn’t complain last game. And I don’t think Dave is complaining either. There wasn’t that many power plays, so obviously we were doing something right.’’

  5. #9585
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    394
    BG Level
    4

    I think there was a little bit of embellishment, but honestly that's the NHL in general. It's nothing against the Kings. Every time a player goes down anymore it's like he puts his hand over his face and peeks through his fingers at the official until a hand goes up or until they turn their attention away from him, then he gets up and hustles back into the play. It's kind of embarrassing to be honest. This isn't soccer.

    I will say that overall officiating in that game was pretty awful and It's sad how much the officials (and Shanny's inconsistencies) are affecting these games. Do I think that the Coyotes would have won? No, probably not. If they did, they would have squeaked by, because LA is still a much better team, but I'd like to see balanced calls or none at all. I mean, taking Vrbata off the ice at the end there, the call on Ekman-Larsson and the one on Doan. They were soft and there were a ton of similar plays that should have been called the other way. Yes, the Yotes got away with stuff too, but the Kings seem to get away with a bit more.

    Also, I hate that when refs call slashing because some guy with one hand on his stick lost control of it.

  6. #9586
    TOO MUCH MAN
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,264
    BG Level
    8

    Tippett is absolutely correct though. Whether it applies to the games being played now is another matter, but there is absolutely that kind of stuff going on everywhere in the league.

  7. #9587
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,830
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Gamesmanship has been going on in the playoffs as long as the playoffs have been in existence. It's going to happen. Calls are missed. The game is so fast it's bound to happen. I find it hilarious that Tippett was able to say that with a straight face. It definitely looks like the Kings are the team to beat right now.

  8. #9588
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,710
    BG Level
    8

    Its just funny Tippet of all people would go on about it when his team aren't exactly saints. Smith is a huge diver and hes had a player suspended in each round of the playoffs. I respected Tippett but seems like he just wants to whine about something and not give credit where its due. Hitchcock was much more graceful and showed a lot more class.

  9. #9589
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jornna View Post
    Its just funny Tippet of all people would go on about it when his team aren't exactly saints.
    I'm pretty sure he acknowledged that in the presser you posted.

    "We saw more than one penalty out there, for us and against us, that were called that I thought were plays that was embellishment."

  10. #9590
    WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,065
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    It just seemed like he was mad at the diving in the league in general.

  11. #9591
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    It is beginning to be a problem across multiple sports. Even the NFL is having people embellish during skirmishes after the whistle. There needs to be a crackdown in all sports.




    Spoiler: show




    Spoiler: show



  12. #9592
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,710
    BG Level
    8

    Just seems like odd timing to address it. If you really have a problem with it, take care of your own first.

  13. #9593
    THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,089
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Jornna View Post
    Just seems like odd timing to address it. If you really have a problem with it, take care of your own first.
    This. Would love to see coaches haul guys over on the bench and let them know there's a difference between gamesmanship and outright flopping.

  14. #9594
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,710
    BG Level
    8

    When bringing up how the game is turning "dishonest" you really should be looking at how Hanzel took a run at Brown, How Smith chopped Brown behind the leg, how Torres basically tried to kill Hossa, Smith falling to the ground every time there is a light breeze.

    Really, no one who willing dressing Torres on there team should talk about the game turning dishonest.

  15. #9595
    Tom Wilson will never be good.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Tippet needs to call out his own team before calling out anyone else. Yea, he said "and us" once, that isn't enough. If you are gonna blast a team for diving and shit, you better blast your own just as much, not squeak in a "might have been a few calls for us". Smith has had two of the worst dives by far in the playoffs and Coyotes have been pretty disgusting on several hits.

    It is a problem though, in all sports. It's funny that "flopping" is one of America's biggest problems with soccer and why they don't watch it, but now everyone is flopping. One of the worst floppers is Lebron James imo, he is on par with or worse then most soccer players. Hopefully someone figures out a way to get it out of the game, I don't think fines are enough and personally, I've always felt that a one game suspension would be solid for egregious flops and I think people would stop fast if they could get suspended. I think it's a disgusting tactic and it's only used to fool the refs, it's cheating.

  16. #9596
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    I agree but I don't think it would be wise to blast his own team at a time like this. Some might argue that then he shouldn't say anything at all. That's cool and all from YOUR point of view, but as a coach trying to be audible and possibly manipulate the mindset of the referees/league or bring more attention to it, Tippet said all the right things. Admitting they benefited from it, but would still like to see it ushered out of the game.

  17. #9597
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,710
    BG Level
    8

    I mean I get it, they are down 3-0 and getting out played pretty badly, dude is trying to do anything he can get get back in the series, just seems like poor taste over all to do it that way.

  18. #9598
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,032
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin



    Doan DDT's Doughty. Lol.

    I cannot be a fan of Carter, Richards or Penner. A big fan of Doughty and Kopitar. Seriously, are the kings this good? I still don't know. Fuck the Kings.

  19. #9599
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,576
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Can't hate on the 8th seed doing work. I hope they face and beat the Rangers in 7 games.

  20. #9600
    Kevin Lowe's Sock Account
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,271
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Hejduk signed for another year in Colorado. $2m a season, can't complain about that

Page 480 of 565 FirstFirst ... 430 470 478 479 480 481 482 490 530 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5592
    Last Post: 2013-01-07, 10:39
  2. 2011-2012 NHL Season Thread: FUCK COREY PERRY
    By Callisto in forum Sports
    Replies: 19036
    Last Post: 2012-04-10, 08:38
  3. Replies: 8596
    Last Post: 2011-06-17, 07:09
  4. Replies: 6664
    Last Post: 2010-06-14, 00:40
  5. The official '07 NHL Playoff Thread
    By Norelco in forum Sports
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 2007-05-05, 12:08