Psychology escaped this list! Phew! False sense of security, etc.
bingo.
Also, there's a distinct difference between the artistic designer architect and the one that specializes in the constructibility and construction management side of things. The former is especially hard to get a job in currently, from what I understand. And the latter has to deal with a lot of bullshit. There's far far more money in the construction side of things than the design side.
What exactly is the difference between the latter and a civil engineer?
constructiony architect is the big boss when it comes to construction projects, they are not to be fucked with, but yes they have to deal with a lot of shit
edit: this wasn't meant as an answer to above post
lots of mad ITT
An increasing proportion of graduates in this country are leaving university with 2:1s and 1st class degrees. It's becoming more difficult to distinguish between suitable candidates for a job, so employers generally look for those who have additional industry-based work experience. It's why I chose to do a post-grad that has solid links with engineering and computing - multidisciplinary work experience will hopefully be an asset.
John Kerry in the last photo is pretty pro lol
http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp
Best site to see what the potential income of your degree will get you
I was expecting some major rage walking into this thread, but its hard to dispute most of the article. The majority of the list (lolArt) is made up of subjects that are entirely, or mostly open to interpretation and preference, which attracts the "i dunno what I wanna do with my life so..... art major?" kinda people and dumbs down the masses. With all the free shit available on the internet these days, it's easy enough to immerse yourself in the same work you would be paying for at college, so it's hard justifying an art major. A good portfolio is going to get you farther anyway, which yeah, kinda makes the major useless.
I'll admit I was kinda surprise at #5 and #10. Maybe it's the same problem where there's too many terrible people in the major taking jobs away from people that deserve it.
Sure was a good feeling graduating from multipule schools, getting multiple degrees, and having all the debt paid off in just a few months of employment while still having extra cash.
You get out of what you put in.
Who are these people who go to school for these BS (and by BS I mean bullshit) listed degrees and expect to find a job, lol?
Notice the architecture job has a +24% expected growth by 2020, so I guess they're expecting the economy to turn around...
Every couple of months a new list of "the most worthless majors" crops up and they're always different.
Honestly, it just depends on how you sell yourself, the connections you make and how lucky you are.
People with any of those degrees can make money as long as they are presented the right opportunities and take them. Luck factors in so much in getting a job in ANY field it's retarded to make lists like this. No matter what major you're in you always have a chance of not being chosen over someone else for the job in question. I know engineers and chemists who can't get jobs because the market is flooded with applicants and I know anthropologists and historians who have so much paying work they don't know how to handle it all.
Also, considering your options before you get the degree is a pretty good idea, as some have said there are majors (like what I want to go to grad school for, Classical Japanese Lit/History) where you're probably going to be stuck teaching and basically nothing else. So if you can't see yourself as a teacher, shit, better switch that English degree to something else.
Thanks for giving people with creative career goals a kick in the teeth!
Graphic design is on that list because it's a VICIOUS competition to get a job as a graphic designer-- at a professional establishment, anyway. Also, getting the degree is also a GIGANTIC PAIN IN THE ASS.
Another reason why artistic majors aren't that great of an idea-- most jobs associated with art don't give a shit about your degree. For example, if you're trying to be a concept artist the most important thing you need is a great portfolio of your art. That's it. They don't care if you a degree or not. Just as long as you can do the art work.
This is why I don't plan on getting a degree. I'm only going to college to sharpen my artistic skills and take amusing classes. Don't really need or care to get an associates or whatever. I just mostly need practice and human interaction because I need to get outside more often. x.x; Oh, and money from the grants/loans and such is useful for buying new materials and whatnot.
im a double major, so if my english lit degree doesnt pan out, i have my history degree to fall back on
I know this may sound pompous and asinine, but we don't need a culture that is churning out the amount of artists that it currently is. What we need are more engineers and scientists that keep us at the forefront of new technology. We need a culture that values and fosters creativity in our children because that is what leads engineers and scientists that come up with new inventions and ideas, but if we don't inspire them to become engineers and scientists then we end up with a population full of graphic designers. Now before you go off on me, yes, I love art and believe that it holds a very very valuable place in our society, but we certainly don't need the magnitude that seem to want to be JUST artists (and this is reflected in the abysmal average wage)
fuck i hate college. would love to do some artsy poopsy degree but i cannot shake the underlying sense that i need to be frugal/make enough money to support my folk's retirement.
that being said, for a person who hasn't done real math in like 6 years and has a shit resume: accounting or information systems?