+ Reply to Thread
    Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Frustrating Internet/Comp Q.

I recently just moved to a new apartment and I am have the worst trouble with my internet connection. I just had my ISP at my house for 4 hours and they proved it was my computer because my laptop connects fine via hardware and so do there's and they are getting cleans reads. My desktop will not connect hardware, it shows it recognizing the network, but unable to connect. My computer is home built and It worked with my old apartment fine; hard wired. It just shows that little computer logo and a yellow exclamation point showing unable to identify or whatever, I absent changed any settings since moving and I uninstalled and reinstalled my network adapter, I'm all out of ideas. Does anyone have any recommendations, I'm about to rage.

Old Merits
    BG Level

First thing I would check would be any type of IP conflict. Are both of your machines set up to automatically obtain IP addresses? I would log into your router to make sure it isn't giving both computers the same ip.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I had a similar issue to this and I had to restore the factory defaults to my router then re-setup the router. It would allow access to everything wireless but wouldn't anything wired. I hard power cycled it then reset it from default settings. *note* I tried before this backing up my settings (some routers do this) and then applying them after a reset but that didn't work I had to set it up manually.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Currently I am not even using the router, and I am going straight into the modem. Hardwired into the modem doesn't work on my desktop, if has the yellow exlamation point.... but as soon as I plug it hardwire into my laptop.... my internet works my laptop. Both of my internet settings are get IP automatically... I even re-installed my hardware for my internet card. Should I try hooking up the router again with it and plugging it into that with default settings? I'm just so confused with this problem, I normally can solve internet problems no problem

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Currently I am not even using the router, and I am going straight into the modem. Hardwired into the modem doesn't work on my desktop, if has the yellow exlamation point.... but as soon as I plug it hardwire into my laptop.... my internet works my laptop. Both of my internet settings are get IP automatically... I even re-installed my hardware for my internet card. Should I try hooking up the router again with it and plugging it into that with default settings? I'm just so confused with this problem, I normally can solve internet problems no problem
    With desktop plugged into modem:

Start > Run > cmd > OK > ipconfig /all

Copy and paste results.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Working till 8PM EST, will definitely do that post work.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Did you power cycle the modem after you removed the wireless router? The 169.254.x.x address says you're not getting an ip address from your isp's DHCP server.

I don't care, make something up!
    BG Level

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt (Right click, Run as Administrator), OK dialog
    Type:
    1. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    2. netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset modem, wait for sync. Reset PC.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jintu View Post
    Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt (Right click, Run as Administrator), OK dialog
    Type:
    1. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    2. netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset modem, wait for sync. Reset PC.
    Did this, no connection and now my laptop won't work hard wired. Yes also power cycled modem.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Did this, no connection and now my laptop won't work hard wired. Yes also power cycled modem.
    List brand / model of router and or modem.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Moden is Motorola SG6120 and router isn't in equation right now.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Replaced my ethernet port in my computer and success...... Still having a problem where when I connect a router to it, I get no internet. Probably just going to return the router and try another.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Some ISPs can be assholes about what mac address is used to connect to their networks. I know the ones that have served my house over the past 10 or so years (comcast, time warner, att, etc) have a filter in place to only allow a single mac address to gain an ip through a modem. No other mac addresses are allowed, so my router is set to spoof/copy its mac address as the one I used when I set up the service. It's funny, that computer no longer exists now, so if I lose that address number I'll have to call them up to set it up again.

This could be what's happening with you. It will simply refuse to work with any other computer's mac address than your laptop's, so if you have a router, have it copy your laptop's mac address. It should then work as intended unless there's some other issue, but I doubt this since your laptop works fine. Generally, when you log into your router, it should have an option somewhere to copy the mac address of the machine you're using to log into it, so you shouldn't have to open up anything else to find the number. If you do, it should be visible within your router's listing of connected computers. It's a set of numbers like this: 01:23:45:67:89:01