I think fchamp said he got like $13k, think Infiltration got like 30?
Champ got $18k before taxes.
This is embarassing because its the "World Championships" with a shit-ton of people in attendance and even has more unique views than almost anything in E-sports, but quarterly E-sports type events put out $50,000-$250,000 depending on the game and event.
In comparison, it is peanuts.
If you flew out, got a hotel, got a taxi, ate food, and drank some beer at CEO and came in 2nd, you would likely LOSE money. That is absolutely pitiful, especially with all the hoop la "CEO CEO CEO" spamming Jebailey does 365 days of the year. I already saw a CEO 2014 post from him...
Of course MadCatz isn't going to fly out Mago, Daigo, and Tokido continuously to these events. "Hey, lets pay $10,000 in hopes one of our guys will win $2500!".
EVO, Canada Cup, and Shadoloo are the ONLY tournaments in the FGC worth going and LOSING money over in terms of entertainment and quality of players in attendance.
I guess if you have never been to Disney World, Orlando is worth a single trip.
Harada is a boss.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rkmc25
It all comes down to pot bonuses, until there's 4-5 companies per event that can consistently throw $5-10k nothing's going to change on that front, and that's not likely to happen because neither the upfront cash nor the ROI are there. Even if you have 3,000 entrants in a single game, that's still only $30k to split amongst top 8/16/whatever; if you increase entry price you probably will actually make the pot even smaller because people aren't going to pot monster for $20-30 a pop.
Capcom's not going to do it, they spent big money on 25th anniversary, which was a giant loss for them...at something like EVO, there's no return for them because everybody there that they'd be marketing to has already given them their money, and they're not in the best shape financially to boot. MadCatz has an issue where their product quality is actually high, if you buy a stick this EVO you're not going to be in need of another one next year(this year being a different example because of next-gen launches) and there's only a finite number of people to sell sticks/headphones to.
If PS4 does become the standard the way it's currently looking like they will they'd be a great target, but they also through a bunch of money last year with PSBrawl and that fizzled very quickly. A lot more work needs to be done courting either big-name clothing brands or manufacturers of consumables(snacks/energy drinks/etc.) where the amount you've already bought doesn't exactly keep you from buying more.
I don't by any means think the big tourney scene will die anytime soon, but it's also not going to see eSports/RTS-type money anytime either, Blizzard and Riot are basically printing money for free right now and have way more resources; and it's not like FG players would pay for a subscription-based model unless it offered blowjobs and nachos on top of the games.
For that matter Jebailey should be working with Disneyworld themselves if that's supposed to be one of the main draws to going to CEO, same way Cannons should be trying to get bonuses from Paris/other Vegas attractions, but FGC is probably not big enough to get on those companies' radars, I can't imagine it'd be easy to land that sort of deal.
Twitch would also be a great future target, they're going to be making tall money very quickly and will be generating massive amounts of advertising contacts, if the FGC would stop trying to troll the shit out of them and kiss their ass a bit it would probably make for a lot more money going around.
1. The FGC tourney scene absolutely will not die. It is growing and if it was going to die, it would have happened between 2002-2008. These are glorious times in comparison to the scene's past.
2. $20 should be the standard for a game. All of these events are advertised well in advance. 99% of people should know the given time frame an event will occur at least 8 months in advance. If a person cannot afford $20 with that much notice, he or she should not be going to tournaments. Stop catering to broke people with no lives (AKA - Omg Andre types).
3. Almost all of the pot and bonus money should be going to top 2 for now. UFGT system is total shit. Until the $ is large enough to pay 500-1000 to 7th/8th place, almost all of it should be going to 1st and 2nd.
For the first time I can remember, a player in the Top 8 of AE just FORFEITED instead of trying to win and make more money at UFGT. The pot was too diluted and small to begin with to even matter.
1. Fully agree, I just don't feel it's going to grow much larger, either.
2. Sort of agree, but you have to remember that broke-asses are about 98% of the FGC. One of the major things holding Chicago back is that half our scene doesn't even own a car/can afford gas to regularly make all of our events. If you don't cater to them, nobody shows up.
3. I agree that pot bonus should only go to top players, actual pot should get the larger split, I don't think top 16 should profit at majors but they should get their entry fee back. I do like what VxG is doing with also tossing them whatever random MadCatz items.
Last point: Flash was a giant dbag about that whole deal and he forfeited because he knew Krone would go further and AGE was probably splitting winnings in some form. If he's saying it was because of top 8 not paying enough that'sthrough and through.
Oh come on. Bash on the tournament all you want. I don't give a fuck. But when you pull shit like this without not knowing all of the situation, you make it hard to be taken seriously.
Flash has been saving face as hard as he can from the fact that he got called out on his brand of dickery front and center. You can talk to anybody who actually knows him and they'll say not only was it expected, but it will happen again given the chance. It will now blow over because Fanatiq was exposed as a fake nigga when he couldn't even step to CORN.
Where did I say that is why he did it? I said the pot was too small and diluted to even matter (to me). I guess I needed to add that. I didn't really care because even if he played and won, the difference in $ wasn't anything to get carried away about.
I have no idea why he forfeited, but the simple fact remains its the first time its ever happened, and it happened at the worst major of all-time. I can guarantee you if the bonus for first place was $25,000, then there is no chance he splits regardless of what his friends say.
Also, Wolfkrone doesn't split shit. There is a reason the entire west coast hates Wolfkrone and he isn't invited on Wong's teams (Canada Cup 2012) etc anymore. If you think Wolfkrone is going to split with AGE teammates, or even JUST Flash (who he fucking hates btw) then its YOU who is hard to take serious. Krone would run a god damn train over Flash's new Akuma and Gen, and he damn well knows it.
My guess is Flash didn't want to get run though by Krone on stream after all the shit-talking Flash has dished out to Krone in the past.
Note that I didn't bring up anything about splits. Come again?
For the love of god, the Justin/Krone story is known to half the damn FGC by now.
Calli did, and I was responding to both of you.
He was responding to me on that. As far as 'worst major ever', eh I wouldn't really be able to convince you otherwise since you're most likely basing it on payouts/big names that attended.
The only people who actually attended that complained were the Injustice players and that's already been beaten to death, everyone else had a great time.
Ok ok, it was better than Revelations due to the simple fact that the TO literally stole all of the money, twice, and got away with it.
So AGE complaints were Flash, who was scolded because they called him to check in 3-4 times for top 8 like everybody else had already done and he just hung out at the other end of the ballroom for no particular reason; and Fanatiq who was already bitching before the event for reasons everyone agreed were bullshit.
I don't recall seeing complaints from Chris, Krone, Sabre, or Mario.
The stream was 100% complaints from da monsters. I guess I was one for this event. It wasn't particularly interesting or entertaining to watch DriveKick and MysterGame over the real games.
Chris has complained about the event. I don't really particularly rehashing this argument, but the problem (other people had) with the event extended farther than Injustice being at 9am.
For me, personally, as a stream monster, there was no reason that Persona shouldn't have gotten main stream time over something like mystery tournament and dive kick, let alone Injustice and motherfucking AE. And it was a holiday weekend, meaning that end time shouldn't have been as big of a factor (tourny was over by like 8pm iirc).
Out of all the shit, Big E dropped the biggest bomb and proves why he's one of the best and most respected TOs out there.
yeah I did specify people who attended, who are the ones whose opinions actually matter. You yourself said to not cater to people who can't afford to go lol