Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 1592
  1. #361
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    191
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Still a crap way to go though. But she was up there for over an hour so I guess it had to be done, at least it was (i think) the head of the federation that did it.

  2. #362
    True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,740
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Straight sets against Benneteau took less than an hour lol

    Roddick and Isner won today too
    Thanks, I missed those.

    F00king Caro beat Yanina. Really thought Wickmayer could win ._. oh great Alize also lost earlier ;~;

  3. #363
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

  4. #364
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10,119
    BG Level
    9

    wow..

  5. #365
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,651
    BG Level
    6

    I hate it when politics and/or egos of referees and/or officials ruin sporting events out of pure self interest

  6. #366
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,544
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    That sucks and is a major fuck up by the IOC/the Refs. I cant say i know how it is in Fencing but most sports the "true" time is the responsibility of the refs. Something that should be this easy a fix shouldnt happen ever.

  7. #367

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,097
    BG Level
    7

    Wow, just got updated on the fencing thing

    Do the judges/whatever give reasons for their decision? Kind of fucked up.. I would have thought it'd be clear as day to everyone that the korean wins in this situation

  8. #368
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    191
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Huge fuck up, and doesn't she have to do another match for Bronze, she's not gonna be in the right frame of mind to compete properly I feel.


    Just watched the GB v Japan women's hockey match from the other day, got to see GB's captain Kate Walsh take a hockey stick to the jaw, not a pretty sight.
    *And now I know why my P.E teacher use to scream at me for swinging my hockey stick around when I use to play.

  9. #369
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by tisiphone View Post
    Huge fuck up, and doesn't she have to do another match for Bronze, she's not gonna be in the right frame of mind to compete properly I feel.
    Yup,and its going on now: http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra...ndividual-epee

    Edit: she just lost.

  10. #370
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10,119
    BG Level
    9

    Quoted from that link for emphasis:

    Even more bizarrely, fencing rules require the Korean team to pay a cash deposit in order to secure an appeal.

  11. #371
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,651
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Quoted from that link for emphasis:
    Nothing says "fairness" like a mandatory bribe attempt.

    I get that rules like this often exist to prevent an appeal on every round of every event, but a cursory glance should be free and this was easily fixed with a cursory glance.

  12. #372
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    191
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    I closed the video on the BBC page because I got bored of looking at a blank piste. Watching GB v Argentina Men's Hockey.

  13. #373
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11,977
    BG Level
    9

    She just lost the bronze match.

  14. #374
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,651
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    She just lost the bronze match.
    Not a shock, you can't fence in the state she was in. As much as 100% of the fault is on the IOC for this, but as someone who hasn't dedicated my entire life to a sport, I can't fathom not forfeiting the win if I were in the German fencers position. But like I said, its really easy to say that when its not your entire life.

  15. #375
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,891
    BG Level
    10

    What a load of equestrian excrement.

  16. #376
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    25,823
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Necronus View Post
    Not a shock, you can't fence in the state she was in. As much as 100% of the fault is on the IOC for this, but as someone who hasn't dedicated my entire life to a sport, I can't fathom not forfeiting the win if I were in the German fencers position. But like I said, its really easy to say that when its not your entire life.
    Seriously, she won because of a timing error. That whole situation is an unbelievable fuck-up

  17. #377
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    191
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Two fuck-ups in one day, we're doing well.

    (if you include Japan's appeal earlier today)

  18. #378
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,891
    BG Level
    10

    A win's a win!

  19. #379
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,657
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Just went over the last couple days of posts there.
    Found out more about the happenings of the olympics in 30 minutes, than I have since it started via NBC.
    Such a shit channel.


    PS. Does anyone have any video on the blind archer?

  20. #380
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,651
    BG Level
    6

    So after tracking down other websites, apparently the Fencing timing rules allows 0.01 increments of a second, but the clock only visually displays and can only be manually set to whole seconds. Apparently a timing official started the clock by mistake (which at the time showed 1 second visually, but internally could have had a much more accurate and much shorter time frame left). Since no human can see these lesser increments and they are not logged nor retrievable, the clock reset to 1 second is to a full second, even if there was 0.01 seconds actually left.

    TLDR: Expect to see 0.01 second visually accurate clocks and/or internal logging in 4 years after this hits the fan.


    Edit: I'm also reading Shin got a standing ovation after the loss, louder than the bronze medalist got for winning. Glad to see the crowd understands sportsmanship and fairness.

Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2008 Summer Olympics
    By Kang in forum Sports
    Replies: 1106
    Last Post: 2008-09-01, 17:03