+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 176
  1. #21
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,217
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    In some threads, such as one piece/naruto/bleach, there is a long-standing way things work in there, and everyone that posts there (let's face it, it's the same 10 people every week) knows how it works in the respective thread. In fact, I was banned because I argued with someone with a colorful name because he wanted to come in and change how we'd been doing it. Sure, your high traffic threads for movies/TV shows might need an anti-asshole clause so that Auntie can have her fun Reichbanning people, but the threads where it's under control? Leave us alone, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    There are certainly exceptions to it. For example, Yugl specifically asked if these rules can be waived for the WWE thread which was perfectly fine because the people involved all had the same understanding.
    We may end up back at square one with this. I think the inspiration for this thread is the fact that everyone has their own idea of what constitutes as a "valid spoiler" and then toes get stepped on when people disagree. It's healthy to have some sort of unity.

    However, I totally see your point in that it isn't fair for those that have been playing nice, and should be something to look into.

    My suggestion to this is that if threads are to have an alternate rule, rules be posted in the OP of the thread, and the thread linked in this thread's OP under an exemption list.


    Also, requesting new users have to take a quiz on forum rules before posting. (wishful thinking)

  2. #22
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,409
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

    Totally need a new Butthurt Prevention™ BG profile option so that everything you post is automatically placed into a NSFW tag and then placed in an additional Spoiler tag to keep people from getting needlessly angsty over going into threads that almost certainly have spoilers in them, and then having things spoiled. Bonus points if your posts in this mode also always have a 'May contain nuts.' disclaimer at the end of every post, because hey, you never know!

    As for posting spoilers outside of dedicated threads, I can actually agree that is total crap/ban-hammer/I_cannot_self_terminate level behavior.

  3. #23
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,872
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    If you have to wait a week then why are you checking the thread in the first place to spoil the experience for yourself?
    Yeah, really is some "one person ruining it for the rest of us" stuff going on. If you're behind every week, sucks to be you. Don't talk about the show until the seasons done. Why is somebody elses handicap my problem?

  4. #24
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    Man I'm behind on Suits, lemme see how everyone else feels about the episodes I've missed.

  5. #25
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,503
    BG Level
    9
    Blog Entries
    57

    Should there be a timeframe on games, cause they arguably are more susceptible to people being at different points, and I feel it's more ok to go into a thread about a game and not expect the ending to be spoiled immediately.

  6. #26
    GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    19,269
    BG Level
    9

    +1 to what Cleverness and others have been saying

    If you are behind on a show/movie, don't check the damn thread.

  7. #27

    Just gonna ditto. Would also say 2-3 days on TV shows, maybe 2 weeks on games since some RPGs can take a while (with further discretion if handling something like Aeris dying). I'd probably say 2 weeks for movies, too, as not all shows stay in theaters the same length of time at all locations.

  8. #28
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,872
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Should there be a timeframe on games, cause they arguably are more susceptible to people being at different points, and I feel it's more ok to go into a thread about a game and not expect the ending to be spoiled immediately.
    Yeah games are a little different. There's more to talk about other than the plot.

  9. #29
    An exploitable mess of a card game
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,297
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    I'm going to throw out some points, take some ideas, and throw out questions.

    Questions:
    What additional information would qualify as a spoiler for video games?
    What spoiler wait period would you like for video games?

    Criticism: If you don't want to see what happened, then don't click the thread.
    Response: Some threads provide additional information beyond what happened within the past episode. For instance, I know anime threads provide information on upcoming movies and side material (ex: The Bleach novel).

    Criticism: The spoiler wait period is ridiculous.
    Response: I agree that some of these wait periods could use reduced timers (I'm specifically looking at the TV shows wait period). This is especially true since having too great of a wait period undermines the effect of the spoiler (i.e. Clicking on a spoiler tag would not alert you to whether you're about to view info on a new episode you haven't seen or a two-week old episode you have seen). That said, for anime and WWE-like threads where a certain 'culture' has emerged, you can waive or reduce the time by sending a request to moderators (See the Suits example in the OP).

    Criticism: I feel like the minority of posters are undermining my right to speak freely about material.
    Response: While I understand your concern (Especially, since an auto-spoiler would be an appropriate feature within this section) rules for spoilers only require you to spoiler-tag your post. This isn't like censorship where you're banned from posting about a show.

  10. #30
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,509
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Your first criticism doesn't make sense to me because if there's casting news or book news or movie news, why do you care if you're behind? Catch up then look. If there's something new developing, make a new thread. Book from movie, new thread. Movie from book, new thread. Casting news? Why do you care who is in season three if you're till watching season two. Casting news in and of itself would be a spoiler for you.

    Third, no rights are being undermined, it just causes undue extra work on the part of both the reader and the writer.

  11. #31
    An exploitable mess of a card game
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,297
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Remember that these apply to out-of-thread spoilers too. Of course, we could splinter the rules for out-of-thread and in-thread if everyone is in agreement with that (You and I can obviously run that within the appropriate moderator section too).

  12. #32
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    Honestly the rules within the thread seem fine as is before this topic, these should apply to anything OUT of thread. Having to spoiler stuff in a thread about a TV show the day it airs a new episode because someone wants to read about the new episode without spoilers without having watched it is moronic.

  13. #33
    An exploitable mess of a card game
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,297
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

    Well the rules were there before this thread, so we have to act on those one way or another (See the third post of this thread). The reason this has become an issue is because of an influx in reports by someone claiming spoilers abound. Thus, we need to work out rules for both of them. That said, I will ask about the video game and distinguishing between in-thread and out-of-thread rules and see what happens.

  14. #34
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,872
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    The reason this has become an issue is because of an influx in reports by someone claiming spoilers abound. Thus, we need to work out rules for both of them.
    Or you could just call them morons.

  15. #35
    Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,099
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

    It'd be alot easier to say "hey, if you haven't watched a show/movie yet, don't click the thread. If you do, you're at fault." That way people can post like they have been and those with a stick up their ass will be at fault if they check a thread before seeing something for whatever reason.

  16. #36
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,907
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    only time i ever spoiler for the few tv shows i watch, are as its happening cuz PST

  17. #37
    blax n gunz
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,169
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    In some threads, such as one piece/naruto/bleach, there is a long-standing way things work in there, and everyone that posts there (let's face it, it's the same 10 people every week) knows how it works in the respective thread. In fact, I was banned because I argued with someone with a colorful name because he wanted to come in and change how we'd been doing it. Sure, your high traffic threads for movies/TV shows might need an anti-asshole clause so that Auntie can have her fun Reichbanning people, but the threads where it's under control? Leave us alone, eh?
    Per-thread agreements work best, but only if there are more than one thread to separate properties that have gone multimedia (i.e. Game of Thrones book discussion thread gets spoiler rules that differ from Game of Thrones TV discussion thread). That way the WSJ threads can maintain their unique-beast characteristic without getting the rug pulled from underneath it by some ill-advised blanket 'BEHOLD THE 10 SPOILAR COMMANDMENTS' declaration.

  18. #38

    Just like with the Ecchi thread and how I once proposed a button that would open all thumbnailed pics in a post in another window, I'd like to see a button within a thread to open all spoilers. I know there's the setting to basically turn them off by default, but I kinda prefer keeping that on to avoid surprise cocks/shit/mutilation that can sometimes pop up in a few threads.

  19. #39
    Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19,266
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Just like with the Ecchi thread and how I once proposed a button that would open all thumbnailed pics in a post in another window, I'd like to see a button within a thread to open all spoilers. I know there's the setting to basically turn them off by default, but I kinda prefer keeping that on to avoid surprise cocks/shit/mutilation that can sometimes pop up in a few threads.
    You've been reading the spam football thread I see...

  20. #40
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,092
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    I'm gonna have to agree with the "if you arn't caught up on a TV show, don't check thread" rule. 2 weeks is far too long and that will end up being nothing but spoiler tags as new episodes pop up every week. The EST/PST airtime is valid for spoiler as a courtesy I suppose.

    My biggest issue with 2 weeks is when people quote spoilers, and those spoilers get quoted, I have no clue what people are talking about since its all spoilers! And every single quote is talking about something different! So I have to open every quote to even find out if its the response I'm looking for, then find out its none of them cus no one answered my question =(

    2 weeks for movies is OK in my book (1mo seems kinda long but I'm still OK with that). Sometimes I check those threads on the first week of release to gauge if the movie is worth seeing in the first place as the first few post are general reviews.

    Out-of-Thread stuff should be subjected to the original spoiler rules and properly identied, as they have no business outside of its respective thread.