Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53
  1. #21
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,882
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Interesting but it doesn't mean it will be that bright or be visible at all. There was a comet recently called, "Elenin" that I heard similar things about but it fizzled out, literally. It broke apart in the inner solar system.

    I hope it is though. Would be really cool!
    Don't forget the crazies that latched onto Elenin saying it was planet Nibiru. I was all excited for Elenin but super pissed when it broke appart during its trip around the sun in August. Both comets should be spectacular and I can't wait to get some pics of them through my new scope.

  2. #22
    Bagel
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,304
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

    You try to explain it to the crazies once. You gotta give em that chance at redemption. If they continue to argue just pull a Neil Tyson and walk away.



    I am excited to see this thing up close. I hope it stays in one piece so my daughters can see something truly amazing and likely a rare event in all of our lives.

  3. #23
    Chram
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,622
    BG Level
    7

    i have bright hopes for this upcoming comet show.

  4. #24
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    450
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    What? No FFVII references?

  5. #25
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,882
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Bump!

    Comet is not as bright as expected and may not be the so called "Comet of the Century". Currently it is between the orbits of Jupiter and Mars at a magnitude of 8.6.

  6. #26
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    15,632
    BG Level
    9
    Blog Entries
    101

    I had to put something in my calendar yesterday and saw I had an event called Sozin's Comet. Rereading this thread makes that make a lot more sense..

  7. #27
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    382
    BG Level
    4

  8. #28
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,882
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    If you live in a dark area, you should be able to catch it with a telescope though a camera with a short exposure will bring out more detail.

    I might give my 8" SCT a go at it this weekend weather permitting.

  9. #29
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,882
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    If you live in a dark area, you should be able to catch it with a telescope though a camera with a short exposure will bring out more detail.

    I might give my 8" SCT a go at it this weekend weather permitting.
    Bump!
    No pictures yet as we had really bad seeing conditions last weekend. The comet has brightened to around 7.5 in magnitude so it's coming close to the limiting eye magnitude to see with the naked eye. Next Saturday (11/16) it will be a few degrees north of Spica in the early morning.

  10. #30
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    I stopped reading early on, but 4 posts into this thread I wanted to resub to FFXI. Alcohol + forums for a game I quit years ago = dem feels

  11. #31
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,147
    BG Level
    8

    This is disappointing... I really wanted to see a cool comet. I've never seen one that was visible to the naked eye before.

  12. #32
    My name is Not Sure
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    382
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    It has brightened up to a +5.5 magnitude. I really need to get out and see it one morning soon.

    http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv...pload_id=89648

  13. #33
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,882
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    This is disappointing... I really wanted to see a cool comet. I've never seen one that was visible to the naked eye before.
    Hale-Bopp was pretty awesome and hit Magnitude 0 for a while, but that was back in 1996. It was visible during the evening into the night.

  14. #34
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,147
    BG Level
    8

    I was too young to notice/care sadly.

  15. #35
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10,121
    BG Level
    9

    The Science Channel is going to air a special about the comet on Dec. 7 10pm EST. Looks like it will be pretty good.


  16. #36
    WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,065
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Too cloudy out here right now. Hopefully it clears up a bit before sunrise.

  17. #37
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,128
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Welp, reports are that ISON has broken up. RIP ISON. We barely knew ye...

  18. #38
    My name is Not Sure
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    382
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    From spaceweather.com:

    CANCEL THE EULOGY ... FOR NOW: Comet ISON flew through the sun's atmosphere on Nov. 28th and the encounter did not go well for the icy comet. Just before perihelion (closest approach to the sun) the comet rapidly faded and appeared to disintegrate. This prompted reports of ISON's demise. However, a fraction of the comet might have survived.

  19. #39
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,802
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    Damnit, I was looking forward to this

  20. #40
    My name is Not Sure
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    382
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    It looks like a fragment has survived. I wonder what kind of action we'll see from that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. There Will Be Brawl
    By Daydreamer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 2008-10-06, 23:37
  2. How game sizes will be reduced by 70%
    By JoOeetheplatypuS in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2006-10-05, 15:58
  3. New system will 'block' gambling
    By Balduran in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2006-10-03, 17:00
  4. Link will be right handed
    By Po in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 2006-09-22, 11:09
  5. Yummy . You will be missed
    By Abood in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2005-04-19, 17:23