Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 185
  1. #141
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,872
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Ugh, such flashbacks of Wisconsin. What a bunch of cowards.

  2. #142
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,972
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    If you told me about stealing someone's job, I wouldn't like you much either. I don't belong to a union. Just sayin~
    Yes, to clarify, jobs like disposing of my own trash or carrying things to a certain location. I'm a monster.

  3. #143
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,872
    BG Level
    10

    Union film sets are like that too, as far as strict delineation of responsibility.

    Works out pretty well, shit gets done, people are pro, everyone makes a shitload of money (production companies and workers) and goes home at a reasonable time (or gets paid out the ass to work OT).

  4. #144
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,263
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    Yes, to clarify, jobs like disposing of my own trash or carrying things to a certain location. I'm a monster.
    You really are the worst.

  5. #145
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,972
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    You really are the worst.
    at any rate, was there a good point raised on why mandatory membership fees really are requirement for union sustainability?

  6. #146
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    about ten times when mentioned how ineffective it is with the walmart opt-in one, but ya know, facts are just so silly and not worth the time. Better to imagine what you want to be true.

  7. #147
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,972
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    about ten times when mentioned how ineffective it is with the walmart opt-in one, but ya know, facts are just so silly and not worth the time. Better to imagine what you want to be true.
    Seriously? You don't see the ridiculousness of what you are saying?
    What was it? Dozens of workers? Out of what, 1.2 million that walmart employs?

  8. #148
    The Shitlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,560
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

    I know my imagination is a far superior world to live in than this dump.

  9. #149
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    Seriously? You don't see the ridiculousness of what you are saying?
    What was it? Dozens of workers? Out of what, 1.2 million that walmart employs?
    uhhhh...why do you think it was just a dozen workers...

    why mandatory membership fees really are requirement for union sustainability?
    oh, right. It's not mandatory so it's not sustainable.

  10. #150
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,972
    BG Level
    7

    Our Walmart is the group leading the charge is numbered in a whooping 4000 people. Getting closer to 1%.

  11. #151
    MaachaQ
    Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    Our Walmart is the group leading the charge is numbered in a whooping 4000 people. Getting closer to 1%.
    Except that any Walmart will close its doors rather than allow a union to bargain for the workers there. I've heard of multiple cases, this is just the first I came up with after googling:

    http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0210-13.htm
    As Union Nears Win, Wal-Mart Closes Store
    by Adam Geller


    NEW YORK - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. says it will close one of its Canadian stores, just as some 200 workers at the location are near winning the first-ever union contract from the world's largest retailer.

    Wal-Mart said it was shuttering the store in Jonquiere, Quebec, in response to unreasonable demands from union negotiators that would make it impossible for the store to sustain itself.

    "We were hoping it wouldn't come to this," Andrew Pelletier, a spokesman for Wal-Mart Canada, said Wednesday. "Despite nine days of meetings over three months, we've been unable to reach an agreement with the union that in our view will allow the store to operate efficiently and profitably."


    Pierre Martineau, left, and Patrice Bergeron, two of the Wal-Mart workers who initiated the unionization, stand in front of their workplace, a Wal-Mart department store, Tuesday Sept. 28, 2004 in Jonquiere, Que. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Thursday, Feb. 9, 2005, it will close the Canadian store. (AP Photo/CP PHOTO/Jacques Boissinot)
    Pelletier said the store will close in May. The retailer had first discussed closing the Jonquiere store last October, saying the store was losing money.

    The United Food & Commercial Workers Canada asked Quebec labor officials to appoint a mediator last week, saying negotiations with Wal-Mart had reached an impasse.

    Union leaders dismissed Wal-Mart's reasons for closing the store and promised to fight the move.

    "Wal-Mart has fired these workers not because the store was losing money but because the workers exercised their right to join a union," Michael J. Fraser, national director of UFCW Canada, said in a written statement. "Once again, Wal-Mart has decided it is above the law and that the only rules that count are their rules."

    Wal-Mart's decision to close the store reflects the retailer's deeply rooted aversion to unions, and its worries that organized labor had nearly established a beachhead, said Burt Flickinger III of Strategic Resource Group, a consulting firm specializing in retailing and consumer goods.

    But he said the move could backfire for Wal-Mart, which has worked hard to counter a wave of bad publicity and portray itself as a generous employer.

    "The store closing may potentially catalyze the combination of the government (officials in Canada), organized labor and consumers working together against Wal-Mart," Flickinger said.

    Claudia Tremblay, a cashier at the store, said many employees burst into tears when managers told them the news Wednesday morning.

    "Many people cried, including myself," Tremblay said. "I'm a mother of two children and I'm separated from my husband. It's very difficult."

    Tremblay said she abstained from the unionization vote. She said she was upset her noncommittal stance won't save her job.

    The store in Jonquiere, about 240 miles northeast of Montreal, became the first unionized Wal-Mart store in North America last September, after the bargaining unit was certified by provincial labor officials. Since then, workers at a second Quebec store have also been granted union status. Neither has reached a contract.

    The union efforts at both stores are part of a larger chess game labor organizers are waging with Wal-Mart at stores across Canada. The campaign, financed by UFCW money from both Canada and the United States, is also geared toward capturing workers' attention in Wal-Mart's home country.

    The closest a U.S. union has ever come to winning a battle with Bentonville, Ark.-based company occurred in 2000 at a store in Jacksonville, Texas, where 11 workers in the store's meatpacking department voted to join and be represented by the UFCW.

    That effort failed when Wal-Mart eliminated the job of meatcutter companywide, and shifted from in-store meatcutting to stocking only pre-wrapped meat.

    © 2005 Associated Press
    Anecdotes away! Around the time of the meltdown in the states (2005-7) my sister and I both worked retail in Michigan, me at Meijer (union) she at Walmart (nonunion). We both had similar jobs, hours, and pay. She paid 10x what I did for healthcare, and could not cover her husband or child on her plan while I could. I had mandatory overtime pay if I worked over 8 hours in a single day, she only got overtime if she went over 40 hours in a week, and was sometimes forced to "condition" the store after closing (and after punching out) before she could go home.

  12. #152
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,547
    BG Level
    8

    Walmart also left Germany completely -- a nation whose population is very heavy in favor of unions

  13. #153
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,903
    BG Level
    10

    Gotta love a company that simply does away with any job that promises better working conditions with a union.

  14. #154
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,972
    BG Level
    7

    Look all that self righteous and misplaced morality.

  15. #155
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,941
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by MaachaQ View Post
    Anecdotes away! Around the time of the meltdown in the states (2005-7) my sister and I both worked retail in Michigan, me at Meijer (union) she at Walmart (nonunion). We both had similar jobs, hours, and pay. She paid 10x what I did for healthcare, and could not cover her husband or child on her plan while I could. I had mandatory overtime pay if I worked over 8 hours in a single day, she only got overtime if she went over 40 hours in a week, and was sometimes forced to "condition" the store after closing (and after punching out) before she could go home.
    If your sister was doing work for the company off the clock, that is her problem. I understand your point, but people's refusal to work for nothing can accomplish a lot. Oregon state law would have my company paying her for 5 years worth of pay if anyone found out I was forcing her to "condition" the store off the clock. The only thing we are allowed to do is unpaid break for 30 minutes after 6 hours worked.

    State legislation can accomplish the same things that unions can but will not bankrupt companies while lobbying for their employees. However, this requires a good State administration that is not in the pocket of the major corporations they are writing regulations for. Enter Citizens United.

  16. #156
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,547
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    If your sister was doing work for the company off the clock, that is her problem. I understand your point, but people's refusal to work for nothing can accomplish a lot. Oregon state law would have my company paying her for 5 years worth of pay if anyone found out I was forcing her to "condition" the store off the clock. The only thing we are allowed to do is unpaid break for 30 minutes after 6 hours worked.
    This only works if workers know their rights, which many do not. Even if workers know their rights they are not still as likely to do anything about it if they think they'll lose their job, and they really need that job. They may force the company to pay 5 years of pay, but that's not going to happen until after the case goes to court, and after it gets appealed. If the individual is already living paycheck to paycheck, then they feel can't really afford to go through this process

  17. #157
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,941
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    This only works if workers know their rights, which many do not. Even if workers know their rights they are not still as likely to do anything about it if they think they'll lose their job, and they really need that job. They may force the company to pay 5 years of pay, but that's not going to happen until after the case goes to court, and after it gets appealed. If the individual is already living paycheck to paycheck, then they feel can't really afford to go through this process
    Agreed. I am torn about the whole union thing. I have seen unions abuse the system and I have seen corporations abuse the system. I think in the end instead of letting companies run rampant by removing collective bargaining rights from the workers, unions need to be regulated and companies need to have some ability to tell the union to fuck off when the members stick their heads in the sand and refuse to negotiate.

  18. #158
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,872
    BG Level
    10

    Companies ALWAYS have the ability to tell the union to fuck off, I hope you realize that right?

    You fire them and hire new people. Period. Don't cry for the poor corporations.

  19. #159
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,941
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Companies ALWAYS have the ability to tell the union to fuck off, I hope you realize that right?

    You fire them and hire new people. Period. Don't cry for the poor corporations.
    There is no crying for the corporations. But I have seen some fucked up shit done by unions to screw over their own members in the name of "seniority" in the ranks. Stuff like Tommy getting prevailing wage because he has been a member longer than Chuck who is more qualified for the job and the raise that goes with it. I can't think of more right now, but that is the kind of shit I am concerned about with unions.

  20. #160
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,328
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    There is no crying for the corporations. But I have seen some fucked up shit done by unions to screw over their own members in the name of "seniority" in the ranks. Stuff like Tommy getting prevailing wage because he has been a member longer than Chuck who is more qualified for the job and the raise that goes with it. I can't think of more right now, but that is the kind of shit I am concerned about with unions.
    Do you not think that seniority should be respected at some level?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast