Another shooting inside a hospital, Boston.
I'm not working but I was told a patient shot a doctor, police responded and killed shooter.
Another shooting inside a hospital, Boston.
I'm not working but I was told a patient shot a doctor, police responded and killed shooter.
Got the alert earlier. You guys getting pretty busy lately.
3 yr old shoots & wounds Father & Mother after obtaining his Mother's gun out of her purse while looking for an iPod
http://www.abqjournal.com/534611/new...abq-motel.html
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3693849.shtml
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...regnant-mother
https://twitter.com/rosalesquique/st...77554361548801
http://wideshut.co.uk/shock-texas-ju...er-killed-cop/
Makes me warm and fuzzy anyways to know that people are starting to side with reality now.
What is the "reality" and how is this good and fuzzy police news when someone is killed? The guy is still a criminal, and still faces life in prison. He might not be charged with murder, but he's still charged with some serious crimes that will likely put him away for life.
Warm and fuzzy when police lose their lives, not so much a dangerous and aggressive criminal, got it.
The "dangerous" criminal was growing pot for himself. The guns they found were all registered to him. The cops do another "no knock" raid, someone gets shot as a homeowner defends his house towards he doesn't know who. The jury saw it for what it was. It's warm and fuzzy because justice was served. The silliness that they even were raiding a guy growing a few pot plants is a thread for itself though.
Did you read the article? It clearly stated that they did announce themselves, but that they sided with the defense that it all went down so fast he couldn't rationalize what was going on. Pair that with Texas and it's castle domain protection laws is why he was found not guilty. If this was a state that did not let you defend your home with lethal force, he would have been found guilty.
You do realize he's still facing life in prison? He's not getting indicted on the murder charge, but the aggregating charges of possession with intent to distribute, possession of a firearm in commission of a crime, and he's still getting charged with aggravated assault on a peace officer. Still not warm and fuzzy.
Poss with intent =/= life in prison. Firearm in commission of a crime + aggravated assault on a peace officer wouldn't have happened if they didn't storm the beaches of Normandy over some homegrown bud.
Protect your bros. That's fine, but yes, I agree: its warm and fuzzy when justice is served. I don't care if the guy gets locked up: he broke the law growing it in a place where that isn't legal, but hearing that another overzealous cop can't hide behind the union and other cops is kinda warm and fuzzy, yeah.
Lets do a SWAT raid over some self-grown weed. That's great. That's really great.
Article said there was no intent to distribute, and he's facing 2-10 bro. No life charge lol.
In this case an officer is dead and a man faces prison, simply for growing a relatively harmless plant for personal use (there was no indication nor evidence Magee was dealing).If convicted of third degree felony weapon and drug charges, Magee will still face a mandatory prison sentence, between a minimum of two or maximum of ten years.
I'm still trying to rationalize justice in the form of someone dying but, sure. "Justice". Not once have I ever used the term in any of these discussions, and I'm probably more bloodthirsty than the rest of the posters on this forum.
Gonna immortalize this forever.
Shame, because the officer can't hide behind his union. He's dead. We'll go ahead and trivialize that portion though because "justice".but hearing that another overzealous cop can't hide behind the union and other cops is kinda warm and fuzzy, yeah.
Article says nothing relevant because it's an opinion piece hyperbole.
"Harmless plant for personal use" hahaha. And that's speculation on the "journalists" part.In this case an officer is dead and a man faces prison, simply for growing a relatively harmless plant for personal use (there was no indication nor evidence Magee was dealing).
Mandatory prison sentences are mandatory minimums, which means at the MINIMUM, he faces 2-10. He still has a ton of charges against him that are aggregating. That is why some people get convicted for 60+ years off of simple possession charges.If convicted of third degree felony weapon and drug charges, Magee will still face a mandatory prison sentence, between a minimum of two or maximum of ten years.
Regardless, if there's not evidence or indication, you can't charge him with it lol. Possession? Sure, but 60 for a few plants and registered firearms, I doubt it.
Don't feel too bad, Neph. An officer died, sure, but you got the perp! Another scumbag off the streets, right?! I'm sure the entire town thanks you for your service in getting this dangerous mound of filth off the streets.
Another reason why I agree that laws and sentencing for certain drug offenses are ridiculous. I've seen it happen here in DC.
Example: Simple possession is anything under 227 grams, so you get someone with maybe half an ounce. Say they have a firearm. Possession of the firearm alone in DC is Carrying a Pistol Without a License, a felony that is aggregated by the possession charge. In the felony version, each bullet in the firearm is another year on the charge. Say you have a 16 round magazine, that's 16 years, plus the felony CPWL which is 5-10. Then, you get charged with another aggregating charge: possession of a machine gun. A machine gun is any weapon with a magazine that contains more than 10 rounds (in DC). That's half the total amount of years you are convicted of tacked on to the end of your sentencing. That's not even Possession of a Firearm in Commission of Crime, another aggregating charge on top of that. You're looking at close to 60 years off of a Simple Possession charge.
And granted, this is the strictest laws in the nation when it comes to this stuff, but Texas isn't no picnic in these regards. They'll still throw the book at him and he'll likely plead out to something less like all the other cases similar to this.
The only thing that got him off the murder charge is the castle doctrine defense. The law works, in this regard. It's not Justice, just like crooked ass cops getting off on technicalities just like this.
Yup.Originally Posted by Lucavi
Except no. There are dozens of articles about this case. Just go browse reddit /r/news, /r/justiceporn, /r/politics. The guy was growing pot for his own consumption. He had legally owned guns in the house, as all Texans do. He was found to have "a few plants" in the house. There was no additional evidence found to give credence to an intent to distribute.
The charges against him carry a MAXIMUM of 10 years now that he has been cleared of any wrongdoing in the killing of the officer. The cops were retarded and decided to raid a house for a few plants. The real justice here is that only one officer was killed and the other officers had the discipline not to light the guy up when he opened fire. You sound incredibly ignorant and butthurt because an officer got killed. He got killed because of ridiculous policies and an ill-advised raid.
I have personally seen how police "knock" and announce themselves in a raid. "POLICE, WE HAVE A WARRANT" CRASH! All hell breaks loose in about .5 seconds. They are breaking down the door as they are announcing themselves. We don't know exactly how it went down in this case, but it was close enough to what I described that the jury believed the homeowner didn't know who was crashing into his house. Say I am in my bedroom which is about 50 feet from my front door. I hear a loud noise, some incoherent yelling, and my house shakes as my door is busted down. Just like you, as an officer, have said you will react on training and instinct. So will I. I will not wait to see what happens next. My life is in danger and I will defend it against an unknown force in my house.
I sound incredibly butthurt because an ignorant asshole decided to post this article in the "warm and fuzzy" police thread, and saying this is warm and fuzzy "justice"? Okay...Originally Posted by Acevalefor
I'm not saying the guy wasn't justified. I'm pointing out the ignorance of someone saying it's "warm and fuzzy" and "justice". Don't put words in my mouth or try to twist this like usual. I even provided an example of how I feel the system is fucked, so don't attack me on my view of this.
The hypocrisy of it all. It's akin to clamoring for "Justice" when a police officer doesn't get indicted for killing a citizen. It's the law for a reason, and I personally agree that if a police officer is killed in an operation like this, that there's no reasonable expectation of "murder" in these instances, as it lacks the intent of murder. However, I can still feel disdain for the fact that someone died, and someone else is clapping and saying "justice".
At no time did I, personally, do an "I told you so", or clap, or cheer, or jump in the air for joy, or point out the "Warm and Fuzzy" portion of "Justice" in my (correct) opinion on police matters such as the Brown and Garner case where the law sided with the police. I even went so far as to point out on several occasions that their deaths were indeed a travesty, and that it is indeed sad and that I felt personal level sadness that either individual died.
That goes so far as to clue in the mentality and the lack of maturity of some of the posters on this forum. Were it a situation of a post that merely outlines the case, I would have probably commented, or not have commented at all in a different manner. HOWEVER, that didn't happen, so yeah, call me butthurt but the mentality is still pretty fucked up to begin with.
Since I know nothing will happen to you because the mods will side with you, I will respectfully decline your invitation and wish you to have a good day, sir.Originally Posted by Lucavi
Edit:
And the fact that a mod decided to move this very post to a different, and more appropriate thread (though, it should probably go in the Ridiculous Police News thread), further cements my argument that it was not only inappropriate, and that someone somewhat agrees with me.
I didn't know that this was moved. You are rightfully butthurt in that case. It was still a bit ignorant to come in here waving "life sentence" around when it has been said by the prosecution that he faces a maximum of 10 years and a minimum of 2. It is disdainful that someone died here. It should not make any difference whether it was a cop or the suspect. This entire situation was completely avoidable and is nothing more than another statistic in the hardline approach to a failed war on drugs.
I initially left it alone because I wasn't sure where else to put it, but when another mod voiced concern over its location, I revisited it and came up with this. The warm and fuzzy police thread is meant to be a counterpoint to the barrage of awful cops in the ridiculous police news thread, and this is decidedly not warm and fuzzy. No one wins, here. One man dead and another facing prison. Since this is not ridiculous police behavior (except in the broadest sense) and seems more closely related to castle doctrine (that just happened to involve police) than police policy, I have moved it here. If you wish to debate police policy, that's what the Statistics/Ideology thread is for.
And this is why I always say, read EVERYTHING and get all the context. I'm not asking you to apologize, but I would like to say I only respond to stuff.
And I agree about the disdain. The sentencing is something I pointed out because the initial article clearly indicated a "mandatory sentence", in which I correctly assumed he meant mandatory minimum, in which case, either interpretation is wrong, since he should have simply put in his article "the suspect faces 2-10".
Thank you, this is fine.Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler