Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 246
  1. #141
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Considering Type-0 isn't trash, I think it's fine.

  2. #142
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,826
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Why do you all hope? Where does your faith come from? Square will never make a fun video game again. They exiled their resident genius to Hawaii, where he is playing with Legos and admiring the fair weather.

  3. #143
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    Square will never make a fun video game again.
    When did they start, then? More importantly, when did they end?

  4. #144
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,826
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    They had a winning streak from the very early 90s that lasted til around 2001-2003. Now Enix, Eidos, Taito, Disney, tri-Ace, Matrix, and Silicon do all of their heavy lifting, and they only seem capable of producing, at their best, B+ titles. Square by itself hasn't approached releasing an A-caliber game since FF10 and likely never will again. I'm ashamed of what I've seen them do with the last ten years.

  5. #145
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,293
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    they only seem capable of producing cutscenes.
    .

  6. #146
    ▲
    ▲▲

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,801
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    They had a winning streak from the very early 90s that lasted til around 2001-2003. Now Enix, Eidos, Taito, Disney, tri-Ace, Matrix, and Silicon do all of their heavy lifting, and they only seem capable of producing, at their best, B+ titles. Square by itself hasn't approached releasing an A-caliber game since FF10 and likely never will again. I'm ashamed of what I've seen them do with the last ten years.
    I can't agree more.

  7. #147
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15,501
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    They had a winning streak from the very early 90s that lasted til around 2001-2003. Now Enix, Eidos, Taito, Disney, tri-Ace, Matrix, and Silicon do all of their heavy lifting, and they only seem capable of producing, at their best, B+ titles. Square by itself hasn't approached releasing an A-caliber game since FF10 and likely never will again. I'm ashamed of what I've seen them do with the last ten years.
    If FF10 counts as "A-caliber" then I'd have to say you're full of shit.

    FFXII
    All of the KH games (Except Days and Coded)
    The Last Remnant
    Dissidia

    All would be A-caliber.

    But still, that's only if you actually recognize FF10 as on that level.

  8. #148
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,826
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Hmmm. Charismatic, can I ask you which game introduced you to the Final Fantasy series? Or when you started playing, and in which order you completed games? Not to judge you, just to get a better impression of why you have nostalgic attachment to those 2006-present titles.

  9. #149
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    They had a winning streak from the very early 90s that lasted til around 2001-2003. Now Enix, Eidos, Taito, Disney, tri-Ace, Matrix, and Silicon do all of their heavy lifting, and they only seem capable of producing, at their best, B+ titles. Square by itself hasn't approached releasing an A-caliber game since FF10 and likely never will again. I'm ashamed of what I've seen them do with the last ten years.
    I think you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

    FF1-11, these are not fun games. They're basic, and the game play didn't evolve at all until 12 (it just changes a little along with character progression mechanics). Story does not make a game fun, read a book if that's the case. Game play is the only factor that counts in making a game fun, and these games had basic game play way past when it was acceptable. There are other RPGs around this time, but they all have the basic ATB system. Don't get me wrong, I love these games but they aren't more fun than the recent game because they don't focus on game play at all.

    Then you have shit like Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Kingdom Hearts, Brave Fencer Mushashi and Threads of Fate. There are basically like 5-6 games that are actually fun to play that don't rely on you nostalgia bombing the story and characters to hell. What the fuck do think the other companies do? They don't make Square's games for them, SE usually only publishes that shit. Though, 2003 is the year the merger happened and you strike me as one of those bitter people who think Squaresoft was amazing and Enix only brought the company down. Well guess what? This isn't what happened.

  10. #150
    I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,266
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    Hmmm. Charismatic, can I ask you which game introduced you to the Final Fantasy series? Or when you started playing, and in which order you completed games? Not to judge you, just to get a better impression of why you have nostalgic attachment to those 2006-present titles.
    I started with the original, FF6 is my favorite. Yet I still have enjoyed stuff from the past 10 years. Loved 12, 10 was still ok, and I even enjoyed 13. So yeah, opinions are personal.

  11. #151
    blax n gunz
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,141
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    They had a winning streak from the very early 90s that lasted til around 2001-2003. Now Enix, Eidos, Taito, Disney, tri-Ace, Matrix, and Silicon do all of their heavy lifting, and they only seem capable of producing, at their best, B+ titles. Square by itself hasn't approached releasing an A-caliber game since FF10 and likely never will again. I'm ashamed of what I've seen them do with the last ten years.
    B+ games are shameful now. Hear that people? The curve went up.
    Dem nostalgia goggles are welded on this time.

    Also when did Disney become a development studio? What fucking 'heavy lifting' have they done?

  12. #152
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,837
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I think you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

    FF1-11, these are not fun games. They're basic, and the game play didn't evolve at all until 12 (it just changes a little along with character progression mechanics). Story does not make a game fun, read a book if that's the case. Game play is the only factor that counts in making a game fun, and these games had basic game play way past when it was acceptable. There are other RPGs around this time, but they all have the basic ATB system. Don't get me wrong, I love these games but they aren't more fun than the recent game because they don't focus on game play at all.

    Then you have shit like Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Kingdom Hearts, Brave Fencer Mushashi and Threads of Fate. There are basically like 5-6 games that are actually fun to play that don't rely on you nostalgia bombing the story and characters to hell. What the fuck do think the other companies do? They don't make Square's games for them, SE usually only publishes that shit. Though, 2003 is the year the merger happened and you strike me as one of those bitter people who think Squaresoft was amazing and Enix only brought the company down. Well guess what? This isn't what happened.
    As someone who loves the gameplay of the older FFs AND FF12, I think you need to stop spouting your opinions as fact. Just because the gameplay didn't change drastically doesn't mean it didn't change enough to be fun from one iteration to the next. Maybe you didn't like it and thats perfectly fine. But you don't get to lay down the criteria for what makes something fun for everyone.

  13. #153
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,543
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Wish list is Bravely Default and type-0, FF-V and VI redone like IV was on the psp. I'd love another xi or xii style of game with huge open areas as well.

  14. #154
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32,117
    BG Level
    10

    Re: Square Enix Asks: What do you want in 2013?

    Um, story adds to atmosphere, and atmosphere adds to immersion. The story totally adds to a game just as much as gameplay. You have a little less gameplay and add more/better story and it makes up for it, and equally so vice versa. All the offs are good in their own right, only recently taking a dip (ff12ish is arguable to start the downtrend IMO) because gameplay has become stale while stories just aren't as immersive any more.

    The only time I felt really immersed recently was (don't know how to spoiler in tapa talk) when Sazh found his kid, only to have the kid become in cased in crystal. That whole scene is just hhnnggghhhh and the scene afterwards between vanille, eidolon, and suicide just left me ;_;.

  15. #155
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    I'd like to see a more in-depth poll about how people would rate each Final Fantasy title. Each one rated on a -3 to +3 (0 = not played) scale so we can really see who's opinion is WRONG. If I get bored enough I'll survey monkey this tripe later.

  16. #156
    Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

    The Immortal Bill Duke

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,697
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I started with the original, FF6 is my favorite. Yet I still have enjoyed stuff from the past 10 years. Loved 12, 10 was still ok, and I even enjoyed 13. So yeah, opinions are personal.
    nigro, you are not charismatic

  17. #157
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,822
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    3

    wait.. we're defining fun now? >_>

  18. #158
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    504
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I think you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

    Story does not make a game fun, read a book if that's the case. blah blah blah
    The walking dead 'game'(and many other, this is just a recent example) begs to differ. I don't even consider it a game, its an interactive story but its got a great story and virtually no game play. Story can easily make or break a game. While I agree that most FF game play isn't top notch, FF has never really been about game play to me. Its always been about story and characters. Not to mention you listing FF11 as bad and XII as good, when XIIs gameplay was just offline XI is just lol.
    nice try trolling lol.

  19. #159
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    37,887
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I think you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

    FF1-11, these are not fun games. They're basic, and the game play didn't evolve at all until 12 (it just changes a little along with character progression mechanics). Story does not make a game fun, read a book if that's the case. Game play is the only factor that counts in making a game fun, and these games had basic game play way past when it was acceptable. There are other RPGs around this time, but they all have the basic ATB system. Don't get me wrong, I love these games but they aren't more fun than the recent game because they don't focus on game play at all.

    Then you have shit like Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Kingdom Hearts, Brave Fencer Mushashi and Threads of Fate. There are basically like 5-6 games that are actually fun to play that don't rely on you nostalgia bombing the story and characters to hell. What the fuck do think the other companies do? They don't make Square's games for them, SE usually only publishes that shit. Though, 2003 is the year the merger happened and you strike me as one of those bitter people who think Squaresoft was amazing and Enix only brought the company down. Well guess what? This isn't what happened.
    Don't say stuff like it'S a fact

    I personally play RPG for story. For me RPG is like a living book. You see the story instead of just reading it. Gameplay comes 2nd. I will always priorize a RPG which seems to have a potential good story then a RPG with OMG gameplay.

    Some people will prefer old FF and some will like new FF (that is a fact)

  20. #160
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    37,887
    BG Level
    10

    When i was young I wanted a type of pokemon FF game

    Explanation

    You make a party of 4 from almost any FF game, and you train them in a solo game.

    Then you can 'upload' them online and play against another FF party over the inter webs!

    but a Mario (FF) Party could be fun too

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast