Thread: Flu Epidemic Winter 2013     submit to reddit submit to twitter

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Clash Perez View Post
    Enjoy your shingles.
    That shit sucks, I had it four years ago. Oh well, better getting it in my 20s than my 70s or 80s when it's supposed to be really painful.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm a (relatively) healthy 28 year old, have never had a flu shot, and I don't intend on getting one until I am in the elderly stage of life when a flu would actually have the potential to kill me. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I'd had any vaccinations of any kind since that 7th grade when we were required by the state to get the vaccine for Hep. B and MMR. My college wanted me to get a vaccine for menoncocal (SP?) meningitis(?!) and I was like lolno.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Re: Would you get a flu vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I'm a (relatively) healthy 28 year old, have never had a flu shot, and I don't intend on getting one until I am in the elderly stage of life when a flu would actually have the potential to kill me. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I'd had any vaccinations of any kind since that 7th grade when we were required by the state to get the vaccine for Hep. B and MMR. My college wanted me to get a vaccine for menoncocal (SP?) meningitis(?!) and I was like lolno.
    You're a fucking idiot.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I have had just about every prevention vaccination there is (it's required) outside of the BCG vaccine for TB.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I think that the biggest scare now is though you may be healthy and will probably beat the flu if you got it, the potential to spread the virus is still very high. That's why the CDC and health care providers are trying to get it out to stop the spread of it. While I may be a healthy person and I might not get infected, I come in to contact with dozens if not hundreds of people a day, all of which who could potentially spread the virus to me or me to them. Though I may not even get the virus, I could still potentially spread it to people. My son had it when he was two and i'm pretty sure he got it from me though I didn't get sick and it was really really heartbreaking to see a two year old sick with the flu. Kids and the elderly are especially at risk of getting it and now we make sure we all get our shots. Especially if it's provided free through your job, it's just worth it (in my opinion) just to take the precaution.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

The meningitis vaccine used to be prohibitively expensive, but I got it at my local health department for like $6 a year ago or so.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

There's absolute no reason to skip out on getting vaccinated other then pure laziness.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    There's absolute no reason to skip out on getting vaccinated other then pure laziness.
    Could be religious views. Or your health care doesn't provide it. Without insurance, the vaccine can be pretty damn expensive no?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    Could be religious views.
    No valid reasons.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlite View Post
    Could be religious views. Or your health care doesn't provide it. Without insurance, the vaccine can be pretty damn expensive no?
    Free isn't terribly expensive.

Some people in some places might need to pay, but every place I've ever seen have been free. Walk in, get stuck, walk out.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I had all my shots as a kid, then got Pertussis on a fire camp in 2010 from some Mexican that fingered his ass right before he touched the doorknob that I touched. Worst six months ever.

But I don't get flu shots because I do things like drink water, decent diet, and try to avoid things that might have been touching someone's asshole.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Didn't have my card with me, and it was $35.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That's great until you get it, hardly notice it, carry it around, and infect other people

I feel like most people don't even understand the point of widespread vaccination.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

dubs

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    It's not free(uninsured); I don't get sick.

Not gonna pay my money to prevent spreading something that isn't going to get me sick to begin with.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I forgive you because of your financial situation, but yours isn't a common case. If you can afford it, it's irresponsible not to get it

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

I'm not around enough kids/elderly to bother caring. Deal with it.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Not being prone to 'getting sick' (exhibiting symptoms) is not mutually exclusive to being a dormant carrier, which is half the point.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    I'm not around enough kids/elderly to bother caring. Deal with it.
    And it's a damn good thing you're not around anyone who is around anyone elderly or young, or around anyone who's around anyone who is, etc.

Shit isn't complicated. If you don't feel like doing it, that's fine, but not understanding the point is not a valid excuse, so trying to make it one is idiotic

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    And it's a damn good thing you're not around anyone who is around anyone elderly or young, or around anyone who's around anyone who is, etc.
    Right, let's make people responsible for other peoples grandmothers.

If you don't want to get your grandma dead, and you're the one who's going to come in contact with her, you make sure you take a vaccine so when you come in contact with fuckers like me you're prepared. Me, I got no grandparents left. I killed them off with the flu years ago. I really have nothing to lose if I get sick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast