+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Kickstarter: Soul Saga, a JRPG-like game is Wii U/PS4/Vita-bound if it reaches $80k

The game is made by a man named Mike Gale, not sure what he's done before.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ation-classics

I personally backed this project as the Vita needs more games, and the I get a PS4 download so it works in both fronts for me.

The project is currently at 73,535 with 17 days to go.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Saw this a few days ago, looks terrible tbh. Says it's inspired by BoF, FF and Persona, but looks like it's already doing wrong all of the things those games do right.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    Saw this a few days ago, looks terrible tbh. Says it's inspired by BoF, FF and Persona, but looks like it's already doing wrong all of the things those games do right.
    In what way? The only thing they really talked about is mythos, and battles/gameplay?

http://www.psu.com/a020003/Soul-Saga...ation-classics

Looks like PSU posted an article on it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Using bad 3D art instead of good 2D art, trailer looks like a bad anime opening rather than a good JRPG, story is basically every mediocre shonen story ever written, no interesting gameplay shown. Even all that could potentially be saved by being satire or tongue-in-cheek like NIS games, but this doesn't seem to be any good at that either.

The way I see it, Kickstarters are about putting your money down into something that doesn't even exist yet because the idea of it alone is interesting enough to make the investment.

There's just absolutely nothing interesting or inspiring about this. It's generic anime tropes, poor writing, bad art. Even being cliche or generic is not necessarily a bad thing, if it's executed well. But it doesn't really look like that's the case here from what's been shown.

They cited a bunch of good games as inspirations, but I don't see any of that reflected in any of what's been shown in the actual project. There have been good small and large RPGs on Kickstarter and off by both larger companies and smaller indie groups (Eternity, Divinity, Reincarnation, LFG, Cryamore), but this doesn't look like one of then.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    Using bad 3D art instead of good 2D art, trailer looks like a bad anime opening rather than a good JRPG, story is basically every mediocre shonen story ever written, no interesting gameplay shown. Even all that could potentially be saved by being satire or tongue-in-cheek like NIS games, but this doesn't seem to be any good at that either.

The way I see it, Kickstarters are about putting your money down into something that doesn't even exist yet because the idea of it alone is interesting enough to make the investment.

There's just absolutely nothing interesting or inspiring about this. It's generic anime tropes, poor writing, bad art. Even being cliche or generic is not necessarily a bad thing, if it's executed well. But it doesn't really look like that's the case here from what's been shown.

They cited a bunch of good games as inspirations, but I don't see any of that reflected in any of what's been shown in the actual project. There have been good small and large RPGs on Kickstarter and off by both larger companies and smaller indie groups (Eternity, Divinity, Reincarnation, LFG, Cryamore), but this doesn't look like one of then.
    You do realize the game is $15. You sound like you are expecting a AAA developer out of a Indy... The models remind me of Ragnarok Online 2. We have seen nothing about the game other than the models. You honestly are just coming off as someone who has super high expectations, and expects a game that comes out more than a year from now to already have everything completed. There reason they are getting funded is to make the game.

I guess you are missing how kickstarter works.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Minions View Post
    You do realize the game is $15. You sound like you are expecting a AAA developer out of a Indy... The models remind me of Ragnarok Online 2. We have seen nothing about the game other than the models. You honestly are just coming off as someone who has super high expectations, and expects a game that comes out more than a year from now to already have everything completed. There reason they are getting funded is to make the game.

I guess you are missing how kickstarter works.
    I agree with him and it seems YOU'RE missing the point of how kickstarters work. They are essentially begging for money and if they want to win people's money they have to impress them. I am not impressed and this game looks incredibly trope-y. They seem to be just straight up ripping certain plot elements from the games they cited as inspirations and not putting any work into incorporating them well into the overall story. I could care less about graphics or art but nothing about this game grabs my attention.

You don't need to be a AAA developer to have an interesting story and interesting characters.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    I agree with him and it seems YOU'RE missing the point of how kickstarters work. They are essentially begging for money and if they want to win people's money they have to impress them. I am not impressed and this game looks incredibly trope-y. They seem to be just straight up ripping certain plot elements from the games they cited as inspirations and not putting any work into incorporating them well into the overall story. I could care less about graphics or art but nothing about this game grabs my attention.

You don't need to be a AAA developer to have an interesting story and interesting characters.

Where are you guys getting this huge story explanation? I see a bare bones outline. I must be missing the whole in depth story and stolen plot elements. I see ideas, I see someone who want's to make a game, and I see it costing next to nothing to support someones vision. Perhaps this is why I tend to donate more to these kickstarters. It is the same reason I donate Kiva.org (http://www.kiva.org/team/nerdfighters if you are interested in joining our group).

Will the game be awful? Potentially. I waste the same amount of money going to see a movie with a drink. I don't get all the negativity. I posted to drum up support for a game I thought looked cool, and someone that seemed like they could get a game done. If the game is not for you, that's great.

Just so we're clear;

You could eat a dinner at 1 fast food place, or support this game... and it would basically cost you the same thing. It's hilarious to act like donating money is a big deal.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

$15 Is too much for a game like this IMO, I'd pay maybe $1.99/2.99.

You can't charge the same that some AAA studios charge for their little projects for what looks to be a fan-made game.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

And suddenly I understand why 99% of Indys fail.... because all games released should be sold for the same price as iphone apps. (Or a king size snickers bar)

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Is it me or does that main dude's sword seems straight up grabbed from:

http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screen...rmal/89434.jpg

He kinda modified it a bit but the resemblance is uncanny.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Looks like shit, but the few things that really annoy me or don't make me want to support it:

1. Mentioning all of those great games, and how this is a throw back to them, when the game itself has absolutely nothing to do with it. Please tell me what this game has that's similar to Suikoden. A battle system? That's just insulting.
    2. The "Episode 1" thing to me implies that this wont be a "full story" -- the story will continue in a future game. Or it will be a bunch of mini-games or something. I mean not necessarily true but that's what I get out of it.

Also I'm a cheap bastard and movies are stupidly overpriced.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Looks like shit, but the few things that really annoy me or don't make me want to support it:

1. Mentioning all of those great games, and how this is a throw back to them, when the game itself has absolutely nothing to do with it. Please tell me what this game has that's similar to Suikoden. A battle system? That's just insulting.
    2. The "Episode 1" thing to me implies that this wont be a "full story" -- the story will continue in a future game. Or it will be a bunch of mini-games or something. I mean not necessarily true but that's what I get out of it.

Also I'm a cheap bastard and movies are stupidly overpriced.
    Games supposed to be around 20 hours~ and yes there will be additional games. The characters/items/inventory will automatically port into the next game(s). It's in the Q/A section.

As far as how the games are similar... I guess we'd have to actually have a game developed to find out. Since the game has already passed the funding goal we will find out regardless of whether more people invest. Up over $10,000 from yesterday.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

And suddenly I understand why 99% of Indys fail.... because all games released should be sold for the same price as iphone apps. (Or a king size snickers bar)
    It's called competition, I paid 2-3€ for Trine, Bastion, Limbo and World of Goo, there's many other good indie games for that price. While it is possible that the game may turn out to be good, from what they've shown so far it looks very amateurish and not anywhere near the level of the games I've mentioned.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Where are you guys getting this huge story explanation? I see a bare bones outline. I must be missing the whole in depth story and stolen plot elements. I see ideas, I see someone who want's to make a game, and I see it costing next to nothing to support someones vision. Perhaps this is why I tend to donate more to these kickstarters. It is the same reason I donate Kiva.org (http://www.kiva.org/team/nerdfighters if you are interested in joining our group).

Will the game be awful? Potentially. I waste the same amount of money going to see a movie with a drink. I don't get all the negativity. I posted to drum up support for a game I thought looked cool, and someone that seemed like they could get a game done. If the game is not for you, that's great.

Just so we're clear;

You could eat a dinner at 1 fast food place, or support this game... and it would basically cost you the same thing. It's hilarious to act like donating money is a big deal.
    I don't agree with kickstarters to begin with. That's a whole 'nother topic though.

The character descriptions have a ton of stolen plot points in them, a couple of them straight up ripped the backstory from BoF3.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Can't believe it broke the goal, what the hell..

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I don't think it looks too bad. I'd needa see more gameplay though. I don't really care if it's tropey or cliche. I'm a gameplay slut, as long as it's fun the story/characters can be whatever.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    I don't think it looks too bad. I'd needa see more gameplay though. I don't really care if it's tropey or cliche. I'm a gameplay slut, as long as it's fun the story/characters can be whatever.
    A turn-based JRPG without a good story/characters isn't fun though... lol

Standard turn-based combat by itself is fucking terrible, you need to back that up with interesting character dynamics and a story that the player gives a shit about otherwise you have really boring game.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Well to be fair not all decent JRPG's have to have a decent storyline and characters for you to like it. Tales of the Abyss is a shining example of this.

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Should clarify that I was talking about JRPGs with turn-based combat. Tales games are more interesting gameplay-wise so what I said wouldn't apply.

From a completely unbiased point of view, the story and characters in a game like Kingdom Hearts are pretty bad. However that game has so much more going for it than just the story and characters, the gameplay is fun and has heavy nostalgia value for stuff like exploring these worlds and playing alongside characters that we grew up watching.

This game has turn-based combat (boring gameplay), what appears to be a trope-y uninteresting story, and cliche characters. That doesn't leave you with anything at all.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Yeah I also don't see how it's anything like Suikoden at all. Suikoden is probably the most unique JRPG of it's time, they really didn't do much western themed stuff around that time so the story was pretty refreshing.. even though it's based off some chinese novel. The mechanics as well are what made it even better, your own HQ/Castle and recruiting your army that all had their parts and jobs to do, Unite attacks, Rune unite magic, etc. I could go on and on about it but yeah again that trailer = nothing like it.