1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 10 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 18 hours, 10 minutes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,657
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    2640(ish)-4515 Tomestones

  2. #22
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Remember, all the time and energy you spent to get items in XI (which you then kept and used forever) was A Bad Thing.

    Modern MMOs™ have the new, improved feature of obsoleting your gear every few months. So your reward for those 3000-4000 tomestones is that all your gear goes in the trash on the next expansion.

    Please look forward to it!

  3. #23
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,657
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Remember, all the time and energy you spent to get items in XI (which you then kept and used forever) was A Bad Thing.

    Modern MMOs™ have the new, improved feature of obsoleting your gear every few months. So your reward for those 3000-4000 tomestones is that all your gear goes in the trash on the next expansion.

    Please look forward to it!
    My exact thoughts.
    And when that next tier does come out, theyll make it easier for the obsolete gear to be obtained. I have no problem being a tier behind casual this time around.
    I'll just be playing FFXIV Harvest Moon.

  4. #24
    CoP Dynamis
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    257
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    I must be blind because I can't find a random image thread so I'll stick this in here. Just did my first Ifrit Hard mode and was told not to use pacify or silence as they both lend to stun resistance. From what I've seen this is total bs but I'd like to get a definite answer. So is it true that all interrupts are covered by the same resistance?

  5. #25
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    770
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Ada Rusheart
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Easiest way.

    You could also be farming Lv70 items, in which case you may need 1-3 items for each synth, or 8-24h for each piece of gear that you want crafted.
    Noticed a bunch of iLv70 items on the AH, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone in them. (The axe runs a cool 500k so that might be part of it).

    Are the mats too rare and expensive / crafts too difficult for these to be viable? And (assuming this is the case) are they actually substitutes for dungeon farmed gear of similar iLvl?

  6. #26
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,245
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Limlight View Post
    heya Therin! I was going to roll on hyperion but the server was closed. I know a few peeps from there so if there is ever a chance to server hop I'd like to.

    thanks for the info!
    Hey Lim! You should definitely come over here when they allow server xfers. I'm in almost the same boat as you but replace WAR with PLD.
    Spoiler: show
    Oh, wait I'm here so maybe not. I think Kreuz is here too. We just need SNK but I seriously doubt that'd happen.


    However I think most of the established FCs that do endgame here are stuffed to the gills.

  7. #27
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,330
    BG Level
    9

    crafting it HQ is easy, mats are like 50k each x9

  8. #28
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    547
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Remember, all the time and energy you spent to get items in XI (which you then kept and used forever) was A Bad Thing.

    Modern MMOs™ have the new, improved feature of obsoleting your gear every few months. So your reward for those 3000-4000 tomestones is that all your gear goes in the trash on the next expansion.

    Please look forward to it!
    lol so true

    I still laugh at people bemoaning the time spent, though. What else were you gonna do? Play another game? Then play it. Or do literally anything else other than playing video games? Then do it.

    I'll never get people that want to be the best in a video game and then be upset about how much time it takes to be the best...yet still want to be able to lord their 'bestness' over other people. Play it if it's fun/you think it's worth it. Don't if you don't. Something takes a long time? Either do it and enjoy your leetness or don't and don't complain about it. Seems so odd.

  9. #29
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,116
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    if i had a piece of heavy darksteel armor HQ, what materia can go in without being wasted on caps?

  10. #30
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,644
    BG Level
    9

    My big complaint with the currency grind is it isn't really isn't friendly toward leveling multiple jobs, which I believe one of the game's strengths. Could maybe try to focus on a subset like WAR and PLD and hope for the best, but if you're not a career tank type personality, then something's gonna be gimp if you focus on one.

  11. #31
    CoP Dynamis
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    262
    BG Level
    4

    I'll never get people that want to be the best in a video game and then be upset about how much time it takes to be the best...yet still want to be able to lord their 'bestness' over other people. Play it if it's fun/you think it's worth it. Don't if you don't. Something takes a long time? Either do it and enjoy your leetness or don't and don't complain about it. Seems so odd.
    It's quite simple if you think about it. They want to be the best (so they can lord it over others) but they want it NOW (so they can spend more time lording it over others)

    Next big patch brings next new big gear. I'll stick with Harvest Moon thank you!

    Also, I actually enjoy the class and jobs stories/quests, so that's more rewarding for me currently. And endgame can bring out the worst in people, so...

  12. #32
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,693
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Well, this seems like the best place to ask my question, despite the necro of several months (RIP, RQT). I've read the thread, but I know opinions can change with experience and time.

    I've just hit 50 on my Paladin (first capped job). I'm wondering what the best path forward would be for spending the various currencies. I don't have a ton of gil and I have no established income stream right now, so I'm looking toward mostly running dungeons for gear, and spending the two tomestones and company seals.

    It looks like the best bet for spending philosophy is in earrings/rings/neck/bracer, since I can have a chance at basic lv50 gear in the main slots from WP and AK. Is this right?

    When should I start spending mythology? Should I be saving for a relic as a PLD, or would it be better spent on Valor items while shooting for a Primal weapon?

    Thanks.

  13. #33
    Old Odin
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,197
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

    Thread over in Advanced has a TON of PLD gear progression discussion.

    Going by your current lodestone snapshot, make these immediate upgrades if possible

    Weapon: any i55 weapon (WP final boss drop, HQ Aeolian Scimitar, GC weapon [requires Aurum Vale clear for last promotion quest])
    Belt+Accessories: Get HQs. Not totally mandatory but recommended if it's not expensive.

    Other than that, yeah get a mix of AK/WP gear and philo accessories. If you can handle AK I just wouldn't bother with WP until you cap your myth for the week. You mainly want to make the biggest jumps in ilvl and VIT. If you get lucky and get a Hoplite accessory, you can put off buying the appropriate Darklight piece until later. I recommend NOT getting darklight body first (or at all, ugly as sin); literally the only reason people do it is to tell the world "look I'm wearing darklight". Don't be that.

    Not a PLD main so I'll let someone else speak for myth spending advice.

  14. #34
    Physicist
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,492
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    My myth spending order was:

    Shield +1
    Weapon +1 (Most don't recommend this I think, but it's the shiny)
    Hero's Ring
    Valor Body
    Valor Head

    However, at this point I'd hold all the myths you get until we see what armor releases in 2.1, there will be updated threads with what type of progression armor to get.

    Seravi is pretty much right. My advice would be:
    - Get an i55 weapon, anything 55 is fine. Ifrit has a trick, so you can get your i60 sword from him with some spamming. Garuda will take a bit more gearing.
    [Ifrit easymode. Queue in duty finder, make it clear when you enter that you will stun (which is not main tanking, there will be another tank there). Stand near his butt, go into sword oath and auto-attack only. Literally no abilities. When you see Eruption, stun it with Shield Bash. Once you get used to the fight you will know when you can DPS a little more, but if you do nothing but stun every Eruption you have done fine.]

    - Run AK lots to practice tanking and get Hoplite gear
    [AK Boss #1 is a fantastic mob to practice on. Learn to line of sight Thunder, interrupt Mind Meld, and line of sight whatever else you like. Play with the pillar to line of sight attacks from the big summoned rock. DPS can typically tank the stone adds, but as you get better practice holding them all to keep their line attacks away from your party.]

    - Use your philosophy stones to get darklight accessories. There's theorycrafting about what stats to focus on, but for now go for VIT.

    Your first purchase for philosophy stones should be the darklight ring, after that just keep upgrading your lowest item-level piece.

  15. #35
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,139
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Caligae: Dexterity +12 Vitality +14 Accuracy +16 Critical Hit Rate +11
    Uldahn Officer's Boots: Strength +8 Dexterity +8 Vitality +8 Determination +10 Skill Speed +10 Sanction:Critical Hit Rate +16

    Eyepatch: Dexterity +12 Vitality +14 Accuracy +11 Critical Hit Rate +16
    Militia Barbut (NQ): Strength +8 Dexterity +8 Vitality +8 Critical Hit Rate +11 Determination +5 (2 sockets)

    Don't have access to the HQ stats offhand, but those were my plans over DL (unless Sanction does not persist through death). Not sure whether I'll need accuracy melds, though.
    Those darklight pieces are definitely better than the other alternatives you listed. The 4 dex can be possibly made up by the det and crit, but you're giving up a decent amount of vitality.

  16. #36
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,293
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Raineer View Post
    My myth spending order was:

    Shield +1
    Weapon +1 (Most don't recommend this I think, but it's the shiny)
    Hero's Ring
    Valor Body
    Valor Head
    Sword+1 is definitely worth it, as much as it is for any melee. Increased damage (more hate), some VIT, higher flash potency.

    Shield+1 I actually wouldn't recommend, allagan shield is a turn 1 drop and generally superior to relic+1 shield (accuracy instead of skill speed). NQ shield will do just fine even in coil, so I'd wait it out a bit and spend mythos elsewhere.

    Something worth noting about philo gear: it's cheaper (in philo stones) to get HDS body/legs crafted than it is to get HDL body/legs (1125 vs 1320).

    HDS gear is also superior overall as they have the same stat values as HDL in addition to having 4 empty materia slots to add whatever stats you need (most likely accuracy if you're planning for coil). You don't need to go crazy with TIV materia either to make them worthwhile and you only have to do 1 forbidden meld per piece.

  17. #37
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,139
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Crafted ilvl darksteel body is decent, but I'd recommend not bothering with the legs. Darklight legs have 43 accuracy and that's hard to pass up. Not to mention they also have 30 parry.

  18. #38
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,293
    BG Level
    9

    HDL legs are definitely the better piece as-is, it's the body that always seems to cause people problems when they start upgrading to other ilvl 90 pieces that may not have ACC. HDS body with HDL legs would be a good choice.

    On a similar note I would disagree on upgrading to Valor body so quickly, heavy allagan body is also a T1 drop and has ACC on it while Valor does not.

    I would upgrade Valor legs/feet before body/head as both pieces have ACC and aren't outdone by their Allagan equivalents.

  19. #39
    RIDE ARMOR
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    18
    BG Level
    1

    How to get into endgame before 2.1: Grind WP until your eyes bleed.

  20. #40
    Lostbane
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,052
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticlogic View Post
    How to get into endgame before 2.1: Grind WP until your eyes bleed.
    Nope, that's recent! Spam CM til your eyes bleed and spend ages bitching about how people can't use cannons.

    Anyway, back on track... When you hit 50, if you are able, rank up in your grand company and grab a weapon etc from there if you can. You can start the relic weapon quests when you hit 50 and I would, even if it takes a while. You have a couple of options on gear. i55 comes from Wanderer's palace and Amdapor keep. Of the two, WP is the easier for a fresh 50.

    If you craft/have gil and have or can obtain decent materia then the crafted i70 gear can help but honestly, by the time you hit 50 you have a few philosophy tomes already, start buying darklight gear. Do Wanderer's palace for a bit, then AK and once you have a couple of Darklight pieces try and get your weapon from Ifrit. You can move onto Haukke Manor/Copperbell (Haukke) before Sirius and then the Labyrinth of the Ancients. King Moggle is another place to get a solid weapon. You'll start to get Mythology tomes as you do the 50 dungeons, plan your pieces carefully. Duty roulette, daily beastman quests and map spamming means that philosophy tomes flow in. Myth tomes are steadier.

    The aim is to get out of your AF asap and to steadily improve the average ilevel of your gear. The guides for ilvl in Duty Finder are on the low side so always aim for higher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast