Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 85
  1. #41
    Ayn
    Ayn is offline
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,299
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Kohan
    Then again, there isn't much to say about Vesperia's soundtrack in general.
    OH YES THERE IS.



    And if you want an arrange. .


  2. #42
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,875
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    OH YES THERE IS.
    I wouldn't call a few songs "much," and I honestly wouldn't even call "Fury Sparks" very good. It's serviceable at best. It starts its cheesy build-up with a generic lumbering drum beat, and then brings in a synth guitar that sounds like it would fit right into the disposable intro of your average generic summer anime. Vesperia wasn't total aural trash, but it doesn't compare to its predecessors, and I honestly couldn't believe that Motoi Sakuraba composed its soundtrack while I was playing it. It never completely took me out of the game, but I was hugely disappointed by how phoned-in it sounded.

    If the preceding paragraph didn't make it obvious, I'm a tremendous fan of Motoi Sakuraba. I have several of his solo piano albums, I'm very familiar with his game composing history, and I'm so Goddamn fucking psyched that he's composing the soundtrack for "Phantasy Star Nova" because he created this obscenely masterful cover of PSO's theme—fuck, I just don't even know what to do with myself. That's orgasm status in my book.

    However, that just-linked song, while a cover, is important to point out, because it's Sakuraba at his best. It is brilliantly multi-layered and utterly fantastic. He's not just some random Joe with a synthesizer, but that's who you would think Vesperia's soundtrack was created by while listening to it. Sakuraba is so recognized for his electronica expertise that he contributed to an album that enshrined some of the best (and uniquely challenged them by restricting them to the FM synth module, too).

    I sometimes wonder if he's simply tired of the Tales series. The lack of imagination in his compositions from Abyss onward have made me think so. I could be completely wrong, but that's how his disappointing recent work for it has made me feel. That, and it's plenty common for artists to have burn out when they're forced to work on the same thing for over a decade.

    TL;DR: I talk shit on Sakuraba because I love him, and I know that he can do much, much better.

  3. #43
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,245
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    If the preceding paragraph didn't make it obvious, I'm a tremendous fan of Motoi Sakuraba. I have several of his solo piano albums, I'm very familiar with his game composing history, and I'm so Goddamn fucking psyched that he's composing the soundtrack for "Phantasy Star Nova" because he created this obscenely masterful cover of PSO's theme—fuck, I just don't even know what to do with myself. That's orgasm status in my book.
    OMG! Mad feels!

    Haven't been following PSNova that much, but that little tidbit has intrigued me.

  4. #44
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15,501
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    I wouldn't call a few songs "much," and I honestly wouldn't even call "Fury Sparks" very good. It's serviceable at best. It starts its cheesy build-up with a generic lumbering drum beat, and then brings in a synth guitar that sounds like it would fit right into the disposable intro of your average generic summer anime. Vesperia wasn't total aural trash, but it doesn't compare to its predecessors, and I honestly couldn't believe that Motoi Sakuraba composed its soundtrack while I was playing it. It never completely took me out of the game, but I was hugely disappointed by how phoned-in it sounded.

    If the preceding paragraph didn't make it obvious, I'm a tremendous fan of Motoi Sakuraba. I have several of his solo piano albums, I'm very familiar with his game composing history, and I'm so Goddamn fucking psyched that he's composing the soundtrack for "Phantasy Star Nova" because he created this obscenely masterful cover of PSO's theme—fuck, I just don't even know what to do with myself. That's orgasm status in my book.

    However, that just-linked song, while a cover, is important to point out, because it's Sakuraba at his best. It is brilliantly multi-layered and utterly fantastic. He's not just some random Joe with a synthesizer, but that's who you would think Vesperia's soundtrack was created by while listening to it. Sakuraba is so recognized for his electronica expertise that he contributed to an album that enshrined some of the best (and uniquely challenged them by restricting them to the FM synth module, too).

    I sometimes wonder if he's simply tired of the Tales series. The lack of imagination in his compositions from Abyss onward have made me think so. I could be completely wrong, but that's how his disappointing recent work for it has made me feel. That, and it's plenty common for artists to have burn out when they're forced to work on the same thing for over a decade.

    TL;DR: I talk shit on Sakuraba because I love him, and I know that he can do much, much better.
    Ah yes, now here's the stuff I can agree with you on.
    Orgasm status indeed.

    I think I need to make myself a Sakuraba playlist with stuff like Highbrow and that piano song from the Tales of Phantasia remake (I don't even know what it is called but I'm gonna find it.)
    Vesperia's soundtrack was pretty weak and its certainly possible that he's tired of the Tales of series since he's done so many friggin' games in the series.
    I hope if there is some sorta slump that he comes out of it since Vesperia and Graces were two of the most bland soundtracks in the series as far as I'm concerned. Both had some nice music here and there but it wasn't overall great.


    @Ayn
    I personally liked this a lot more than Fury Sparks.

  5. #45
    Ayn
    Ayn is offline
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,299
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Hey, fuck you guys for hating on Fury sparks; it played during one of the best fights of the game.

    That said I do agree that ToV's soundtrack was serviceable -- I do remember playing through it and thinking "well, the music is..fitting?". I think the hard part was that none of the regular battle themes really stood out to me the way that Abyss's did.

    On the topic of Chronicles -- they changed the opening theme to Dawn of the New World slightly: Same lyrics, but the BGM sounds different. I dunno, I like it slightly better than the original one.



    Also neat that they have both versions of Symphonia's opening.

  6. #46
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,875
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Ah yes, now here's the stuff I can agree with you on.
    Orgasm status indeed.
    I would be willing to call a truce and just talk to you about this from now on. It is definitely something we do agree on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Hey, fuck you guys for hating on Fury sparks; it played during one of the best fights of the game.
    I never said I hated the fight—my love for Vesperia is undying. As you agreed, the soundtrack was "serviceable"—as such, the song, though, just services the scene rather than elevating it.

    EDIT: Showing the scene some love.



    I think the opener to Symphonia 2 is harmless enough. It's not bad. I would have to do a serious comparison to notice what you've mentioned, but that's only because I haven't listened to it much.

  7. #47
    Ayn
    Ayn is offline
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,299
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    I was just messing with you about the Vesperia music in general, since as you mentioned, I do agree with you.

    I'm torn between saying if Fury Sparks elevates the scene or services it. Since I'm not sure if it's been 'ok, this track really does stand out to me, finally, in a game where the music felt.. just fitting', or just Yuri and Flynn's banter during the fight.

    On the note of similar fights, though, "Meaning of Birth" from Abyss (the last Luke/Asch fight) was pretty awesome.

    The name of the ToS2 song is "Three Legged Race" by Misono. Too lazy to link it (well technically, can't right now), so give it a look up.

  8. #48
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,875
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    I was just messing with you about the Vesperia music in general, since as you mentioned, I do agree with you.

    I'm torn between saying if Fury Sparks elevates the scene or services it. Since I'm not sure if it's been 'ok, this track really does stand out to me, finally, in a game where the music felt.. just fitting', or just Yuri and Flynn's banter during the fight.
    Their banter is so good. Such a spectacular moment.

    Also, since I've been given license to do this:



    (I believe Motoo Fujiwara deserves full credit for that song, though.)

  9. #49
    Ayn
    Ayn is offline
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,299
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Everlasting Battle, or whatever the song they played during the cameo battle was pretty awesome. Took a listen or two for me to realize "Oh wow, they're including various battle themes within it".

  10. #50
    Remit One (1) Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,397
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Still one of my favorite battle songs from the game:


    And probably my favorite out of battle song:


    Which was remixed:

  11. #51
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    37,887
    BG Level
    10

    I don't remember this game beeing hard... or i'm just bad


    i'm lv 19 at the Temple of Wind and I keep dying on the boss right ofter the Seal boss (playing hard)

  12. #52
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15,501
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    you probably didn't play on hard, it can be pretty rough on hard lol
    I actually died to Whip Master x2 (but I've also been avoiding most battles too)

  13. #53
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    37,887
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroikage View Post
    you probably didn't play on hard, it can be pretty rough on hard lol
    I actually died to Whip Master x2 (but I've also been avoiding most battles too)
    Whip master Whitney on si Thatcher already?

  14. #54
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,399
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

    Got the game yesterday, just the standard one, and it feels incredibly cheap that it comes with no manual/booklet. >.> I never read through them usually, but I'm just used to it being there.

  15. #55
    Wild Card
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,805
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries
    16

    more companies are removing that booklet, I do appreciate it when they at least include a digital one.

    few years from now the kids won't even know what you're talking about Syaoran.

  16. #56
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,693
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Wanted to remind everyone that there is a sale going on PSN that ends Tuesday I believe. 20$ for non PSN+ subscribers and 10$ for PSN+ subscribers.

    It's my first time playing this game and i've just made it to the second part (battle music changed) and so far it's beating the shit out of Xillia in all regards.

  17. #57
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15,501
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Why say all regards when we all know you only mean story?

    Graphics, combat, camera control and all sorts of other things are definitely worse in Symphonia.

  18. #58
    BG Staff
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    27,188
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Legendia looked like ass too

  19. #59
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,693
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Why say all regards when we all know you only mean story?

    Graphics, combat, camera control and all sorts of other things are definitely worse in Symphonia.
    Well no shit graphics are better in Xillia, that goes without saying though the backgrounds and character models still have a lot of charm. The combat at this point is much better than it was in Xillia, Xillia at this point was slow, clunky, and boring thankfully that started to change halfway through the second part iirc, Symphonia is a bit clunky but it doesn't feel slow and its definitely not boring, there's a lot more strategy involved due to restricted movement and less streamroll. I don't have any complaints about the camera at all. The cast is all superior, the game isn't linear and has a awesome world map, shops don't have that lame upgrade system, and the dungeons and puzzles make this game a lot more enjoyable.

    Xillia wasn't awful but it is incredibly "meh", after a certain point I got tired of it and only played just so I could beat it and be done with it.

    I don't really want to get into a tales music war but c'mon.

    Spoiler: show





  20. #60
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15,501
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Its all just opinions and everything but I don't see how one could claim that Xillia's combat is worse than Symphonia's. I will admit I didn't gain true appreciation for it til I started a solo run.

    Playing with a single character lets you get so much out of the game. This video is one of my favorites to show off both how solo play works and how awesome Leia is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tales of Vesperia (PS3) | Definitive Edition (PC/PS4/XB1/NSW)
    By Hitoshura in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 243
    Last Post: 2020-03-26, 01:53
  2. Shadow of the Colossus and ICO HD for PS3 confirmed
    By Heavencloud in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 2011-10-14, 20:51
  3. Tales of Phantasia
    By Julian in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2007-12-25, 02:03
  4. Tales of Symphonia 2
    By sephir in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2007-10-25, 20:53
  5. Am I the only one who adores Tales of Symphonia?
    By Burginator in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2007-08-17, 10:43
  6. Tales of the Abyss
    By Hitoshura in forum Gaming Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 2007-06-22, 07:59