Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,795
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    The question is not whether or no hey would do it, the question is are there people out there willing to do it and the answer is yes. Also "forget your degrees" jesus christ this is idiotic, a degree is relatively important when it comes to what job you can or cannot get and rightfully so in some cases, doctor being one of them. Janitors may not get paid a lot, but you also need nothing more than a basic grasp of the language of your country and physical mobility, the same can not be said of a doctor. If a person doesn't like being a janitor or it's salary there are other jobs that require an equal level of skills that potentially pay better, ie: waiter.
    Maybe it wasn't clear what I meant. The intended context was that if you didn't have a degree, didn't have any connections, would you be willing to do the work for that pay? It is easy to say "just get another job then", but with the current level of unemployment, it is not that simple. People take what they can get and put up with it because the other option is to not work at all. Waiter might be a great option, but remember, you are only making $2-3/hr if you get the self-righteous non-tippers who loudly proclaim they shouldn't have to pay for that employees wages.

  2. #42
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,386
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    The question is not whether or no hey would do it, the question is are there people out there willing to do it and the answer is yes. Also "forget your degrees" jesus christ this is idiotic, a degree is relatively important when it comes to what job you can or cannot get and rightfully so in some cases, doctor being one of them. Janitors may not get paid a lot, but you also need nothing more than a basic grasp of the language of your country and physical mobility, the same can not be said of a doctor. If a person doesn't like being a janitor or it's salary there are other jobs that require an equal level of skills that potentially pay better, ie: waiter.
    Another right-wing argument I never understood.
    Surely you can see the problem if all janitors followed your advice, can you not?

    How about switching from a rhethoric of "deserve" to a rhethoric of "need"?
    Everyone is entitled to a decent life, and that includes janitors. Hell, especially janitors.


    Anyway, we aren't talking about paying everyone the same regardless of degree. Of course, people who studied hard should be paid more, the issue is how much more.
    Once again, we're talking 12 fucking times (what should be) a decent wage!

    Not to mention that CEOs aren't exactly the most educated people in the world, usually. Moreso than a janitor, yes; but less so than a Ph.D... yet that Ph.D earns less.

  3. #43
    Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,049
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    if you get the self-righteous non-tippers who loudly proclaim they shouldn't have to pay for that employees wages.
    Don't work at a restaurant that serves blacks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashmada View Post
    Surely you can see the problem if all janitors followed your advice, can you not?
    Janitors would become more in demand and have the potential for higher wages. Or we could have illegals do it because they wouldn't whine about the pay.


    User was infracted for this post.

  4. #44
    The Fucking Voice of Actually
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11,053
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    6

  5. #45
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,383
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Well that fucking sucks. I can't make a judgement call on if 1:12 is a good ratio or too low, since I don't know what all goes into being a CEO at a major company. But I do know from watching some higher ups day to day, there are some who work their asses off, and some who just push all the shit on others. Either way, wondering if shit will eventually reach a breaking point or if by the time that point is reached all of the police/armed forces will be in the pocket of companies so revolts won't be had.

  6. #46
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,224
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Well that fucking sucks. I can't make a judgement call on if 1:12 is a good ratio or too low, since I don't know what all goes into being a CEO at a major company. But I do know from watching some higher ups day to day, there are some who work their asses off, and some who just push all the shit on others. Either way, wondering if shit will eventually reach a breaking point or if by the time that point is reached all of the police/armed forces will be in the pocket of companies so revolts won't be had.
    It's not all that, mind you. The Swiss have already laid down some heavier stuff on things like bonuses and golden parachutes for exiting executives, and are also getting ready to vote on a guaranteed minimum wage next year. They're already steps ahead of the corporacracy that's developing here in the US.

  7. #47
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,328
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    Unfortunately the "free market" solution to wages results in people doing wretched jobs for shit pay that they can't live on, so they get multiple shit jobs, locking other people out of employment. If people who didn't like their jobs could just get a different better one I'm pretty sure we change this subforum to Post Your Favorite Puppy Gif.
    Actually, its even worse than that, because once the free market has squeezed the money out of low skill jobs, the squeeze moves up the ladder.

  8. #48
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,383
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth View Post
    It's not all that, mind you. The Swiss have already laid down some heavier stuff on things like bonuses and golden parachutes for exiting executives, and are also getting ready to vote on a guaranteed minimum wage next year. They're already steps ahead of the corporacracy that's developing here in the US.
    I've to face facts that this country is years behind most others in a lot of ways when it comes to our economy/education. If I ever plan on having kids, which I probably won't, id have to sit down and make a decision if I wanted to stay here or not. Even though, I feel like once i'm done with my B.S and have work experience behind me I will probably look into moving somewhere else. 110% jaded.

  9. #49
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,224
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I've to face facts that this country is years behind most others in a lot of ways when it comes to our economy/education. If I ever plan on having kids, which I probably won't, id have to sit down and make a decision if I wanted to stay here or not. Even though, I feel like once i'm done with my B.S and have work experience behind me I will probably look into moving somewhere else. 110% jaded.
    Friend of mine was in much the same boat. Moved to the UK, met someone from Germany, they just got married and he's there for life now (Germany, that is). I don't blame him one bit, he's a happy mofo.

  10. #50
    AoE
    AoE is offline
    Sandworm Swallows
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,117
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Similar to one of my best childhood friends. Dude was homeless for like 2 years but hustled alot and made enough friends where he could crash at people's house. Dude then met a British girl with high potential and a family with money, fucked her the right way and then next thing you know, he's married living in the U.K and it seems like every other month, he's travelling to some other part of the world. So envious of that dude.

  11. #51
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    Leaving the US, especially to get my education, will be hard to top on the list of best choices I've made.

  12. #52
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,383
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Viq View Post
    Leaving the US, especially to get my education, will be hard to top on the list of best choices I've made.
    Where did you go? EU or Canada? Also can you work/live in Canada w/o being a citizen? I admit I havn't looked into it very much yet.

  13. #53
    hey
    hey is offline
    listen!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,234
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    He went to Korea.

  14. #54
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,547
    BG Level
    7

    edit: I suck, wrong thread.

  15. #55
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,514
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Where did you go? EU or Canada? Also can you work/live in Canada w/o being a citizen? I admit I havn't looked into it very much yet.
    What is with you and Canada? Our system is exactly the same as US. I'm $60k in debt at an interest rate of 6%+.

  16. #56
    Viq
    Viq is offline
    Let's go Red Sox!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,386
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    He went to Korea.
    ^This

    I can live and work part-time (up to 20 hours a week) on my student visa here. Korea isn't quite at the EU level of fully subsidizing higher education, but it's getting there. My tuition this semester as a full-time student was $1200. Full coverage health insurance runs me $140 a year. Of course no place is perfect, but I'm quite content here.

  17. #57
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazmaz View Post
    What is with you and Canada? Our system is exactly the same as US. I'm $60k in debt at an interest rate of 6%+.
    1. Are you an actual Canadian citizen?

    2. Did you go to Canada's version of AI?

    3. Most who graduate now in the US are over 100k in debt, which is a pretty big difference from 60k.

  18. #58
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,514
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    1. Are you an actual Canadian citizen?

    2. Did you go to Canada's version of AI?

    3. Most who graduate now in the US are over 100k in debt, which is a pretty big difference from 60k.
    1. yes

    2. AI?

    3. Cool story bro. I said same system, not same magnitude of exploitation.

  19. #59
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazmaz View Post
    3. Cool story bro. I said same system, not same magnitude of exploitation.
    ....come on Mazmaz, you can't be this stupid in every thread. You asked why the guy cared about Canada so much, it's the magnitude of exploitation that people care about.

  20. #60
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,626
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    ....come on Mazmaz, you can't be this stupid in every thread. You asked why the guy cared about Canada so much, it's the magnitude of exploitation that people care about.
    Yes he can. He makes Leroy look good and almost makes Tweek look not so mad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast