FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

We have great news for all our Uncharted fans - Amy, Justin, and the team are hard at work on an amazing new installment of the Uncharted series to be released exclusively on the PlayStation 4 system. Our goal is to continue what we've done in previous console generations and once again deliver the best in storytelling, performance capture, technical innovation and graphics on the PS4.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.playstationgang.com/uncha...aled-analysis/
    Naughty Dog has a history of filling it’s Uncharted reveal trailers with tidbits and clues as to what the next game in the franchise will be about. The new trailer released during the run up to the PlayStation 4 launch in New York City seems a little sparse, but with a little research actually reveals quite a bit.

PS Gang digs deep into what the trailer really means for our readers. Read our analysis below.

The trailer begins with a voice over, not by Nolan North as Nathan Drake, but by a completely different character. Amy Henning confirmed on Twitter that Todd Stashwick is the man doing the voice over. He hasn’t been apart of the Uncharted franchise, so presumably he is playing a new character with a history with Drake. Despite what we’ll see later in the trailer, this is not Sir Francis Drake, he is not a contemporary to everything else the trailer hints at.

“Some chains can never be broken,” the voice begins. We see a yellowed old maritime map begin to draw itself. The camera rounds the Cape of Good Hope as the words labeling the sea ink themselves in center frame. “I lost 15 years …buried alive, erased. You left me rotting in that hellhole and never looked back.”

We don’t know who he is talking about, but the implication is that it is about Nathan Drake and more of his past is now catching up to him. While most of the words appearing on the map as it fills in are cities, ports, geographical features, a few are messages that would be in line with the voice.

As we head east the camera pans up as the words “I have lost everything” scrawl themselves on the map” The camera pulls back and flies over to Madagascar. The camera zooms in at the southern tip of the island. The words “Every betrayed us all” appear there. I don’t know what to make of this, while technically correct grammatically, no one talks or writes like this, unless ‘Every’ happens to be someone’s name. In fact, Henry Every was an English pirate working in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans in the 1690s, known as “The Arch Pirate” and “The King of Pirates” by his contemporaries. He was also one of the most infamous pirates ever. He staged one of the biggest, most profitable raids in history, was never caught and made away with most of the loot by betraying a good portion of his men.

uncharted-teaser

“You can’t outrun the past. When it catches up, when all your lies collapse around you, I’ll be there, sifting through the wreckage. You owe me.” The voice over continues with these lines. We know the cause of these feelings, he was betrayed, and now we know he wants revenge. In this part of the trailer we get into the most interesting and revealing parts of the trailer. As the camera moves up the eastern coast of Madagascar the phrase “Abandon your hopes” a threat, but also a callback to the Cape of Good Hope from the beginning of the trailer. Then a circle is drawn around a tiny island off the coast of Madagascar called I. SE Mary, known in English as St. Mary’s Island. Then an X is drawn over it to mark it and next to it the phrase “For God and Liberty” is written.

To the side we see the skull and crossbones with the phrase “HODIE MECVM ERIS IN PARADISO” encircling it. The phrase is in Latin – the V as a U gives it away – and translates to “Today you will be with me in Paradise.” These are thought to be among the last words of Christ.

This last section doesn’t have to do with the man or Drake and their history. I think it’s telling us the mcguffin of the game. To explain will require a little history.

Back in the 1600 and 1700 Portugal expanded its trading empire by sailing around the bottom of South Africa. This was a huge boon to their country. It was called the Cape of Good Hope, because this is when ships would start sailing more east than south towards the East Indies. This would become a huge and profitable slave traffic route. And where there are profitable ships, there are pirates. Hence the skull and crossbones.

The eastern coast of Madagascar was the location of the legendary pirate country of Libertalia (or Libertatia). Called legendary, because historians aren’t sure it even existed. I’m going to say it’s real enough for the purpose of Uncharted. The pirate utopia’s motto was “for God and Liberty” and included among other sites the I.SE Marie. The only account we have of the nation is from “A General History of the Pyrates” by Captain Charles Johnson – most assuredly a pseudonym, possibly for Daniel Defoe.

d308977ef1ae1e3398e405897cea878a6ba2bfdd.jpg__576x 480_q85

Libertalia was founded in near the end of the 17th century and is described as living under a communal city rule, basically a worker owned business and the business is piracy. They had articles and elected delegates that were re-callable. Wealth was shared equally as everything “all should be in common” and decisions were put to “the Vote of the whole Company.” To them it was the ultimate life of liberty and freedom, they thought they were building paradise.

Founded by Captain James Mission, a man with a history of his own too fascinating and long to get into here fully, sufficed to say he was a religious man and converted many to his views. One of which was the evils of slavery. He said, “the Trading for those of our own Species, cou’d never be agreeable to the Eyes of divine Justice: That no Man had Power of Liberty of another.” Unlike the Caribbean pirates that were known for taking salves to make them work for the pirate crews instead of plantations, they outright freed slaves and released prisoners. The renounced their nation heritages, called themselves “The Liberi” – “Enemies of Slavery” and set about boosting every slave ship they could set their eyes upon.

To this day you can go to Ill Sainte-Marie and see the tops of sunk ships. So the “combing though the wreckage” the voice over is talking about could be a literal wreckage for something mystical item of power and not just whatever ruination he brings upon Drake. And given the anti-slavery mission of the nation whose treasure the game will be about, the “some chains can never be broken” and “lost 15 years” are going to have significance as it rhymes with the history of the area.

25cb829bfb851726ef3d825c9f036f92dddd058f.jpg__576x 480_q85

One last thing. I looked up “A General History of the Pyrates” and it has all the big names you’d expect to see in there, Edward Teach, Calico Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny, but one name caught my eye and I just had to look up, the pirate Nathaniel North. It’s a name too close to the combination of the series’ main character and the actor that plays him. And guess where he operated, the Indian Ocean. In 1699 he was serving as quartermaster under Captain Samuel Inless on the Dolphin (you will see Dolphin on the map in the trailer, it’s the location of a sea port in southern Madagascar).

They took a large Danish ship and sailed to IIE Sainte-Marie to divide the plunder. That’s about when 4 British warships showed up. The captain was forced to burn the ship. The British offered a pardon to any pirate that surrendered. North escaped to Madagascar in a longboat. He struck out on his own for the next few years and eventually retired in 1709 in Ambonacoula, which is at the southern most tip of Madagascar, around where the lines “Every betrayed us all” appear in the trailer. There he traded and acquired slaves. During a native conflict he was captured and killed by one of the sides. Nathaniel North may end up having nothing to do with the story of the new Uncharted, but the history, locations and themes are too close to the voice over and of Libertalia to ignore.

Looks like Uncharted is taking a leaf out of Assassin’s Creed IV’s book and expanding on the fun, but otherwise out of place ship section from Uncharted 3. Throw in some themes of slavery vs. freedom and the price to be paid, I’m looking forward to what it’s all about.

Can we possibly also see modern day pirates make an appearance? A teaser raises a lot of questions but hardly offers any concrete answers. But if you look into it, there’s a lot more than it meets the eyes, quiet literally, might we add.
    - See more at: http://www.playstationgang.com/uncha....32QW7UfY.dpuf

Ridill
    BG Level

As long as they aren't zombie pirates.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    As long as they aren't zombie pirates.
    Oh but they probably are. Or weird Avatar-looking pirates. Or yeah.... Uncharted has some weird shit going on haha, but I love it. Looking forward to learning more about this.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Naughty Dog and the PS4 technical capabilities is honestly 1 of 3 reason I'm even getting a PS4 to begin with.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by elison View Post
    Naughty Dog and the PS4 technical capabilities is honestly 1 of 3 reason I'm even getting a PS4 to begin with.
    this is a huge rumor but there have been whispers that sony may have bought the license back for crash bandicoot and ND may be involved

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    this is a huge rumor but there have been whispers that sony may have bought the license back for crash bandicoot and ND may be involved
    ughhhhhhhhhhhh fuck please God. CB will always have a spot in my heart

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

realize it's not really on topic here but since it's all speculation still doesn't seem worthy of it's own thread and I had mentioned it here
    http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/11/...-official.html
    The official Crash Bandicoot website, owned and operated by Activision, has been taken down. The latest archived version of the site is from this past summer, when rumors of a Sony acquisition of the franchise started popping up.

Additionally, the Crash Bandicoot brand has been completely removed from Activision's main website, and any search through their homepage no longer yields any results. Previously, links to their licensed Crash games were available. Also, their support pages no longer offer support for Crash: Mind Over Mutant (the last game released), or their iOS kart racers.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    realize it's not really on topic here but since it's all speculation still doesn't seem worthy of it's own thread and I had mentioned it here
    http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/11/...-official.html

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

removed

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ast-of-us.aspx
    too long to paste the full thing, but of note:
    So [The Last of Us co-leads] Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann have stepped in to facilitate Uncharted through this transition period. How is that going and what is the future for Uncharted?

EW: It's not so much a transition period, actually. We've asked them to lead the project. They are excited as veterans of the Uncharted franchise to take the responsibility and they're doing great.

Did those guy work on the PlayStation 3 Uncharted games?

EW: Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2, yeah.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That's not horrible news.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Uncharted 2 was the best. So I am ok with this

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

You’ve been waiting for it and it’s finally here. At E3 2014 we unveiled two trailers, one for each of the PS4 projects we’re currently developing. The UNCHARTED game we’ve been working on sees the return of…well, why don’t you watch the trailer and see for yourself:

That’s Nathan Drake rendered in full 1080p glory, using the power of our PS4 engine. All footage you see in the trailer was captured completely in engine. We’re targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, and as you can see, the visual fidelity for our character models will reach new heights. In fact, thanks to the power of PS4, right now Drake’s Uncharted 4 model is over double the polygons of Joel from The Last of Us PS3.

The next generation of Nathan Drake is going to be very real and will explore what it means when Drake is forced back into the world of thieves. He will embark on a globe-trotting journey in pursuit of a historical conspiracy behind a fabled pirate treasure. It’s his greatest adventure yet and will test his physical limits, his resolve, and ultimately what he’s willing to sacrifice to save the ones he loves.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is available for pre-order right now.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...s-end-trailer/

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://gamingbolt.com/uncharted-4s-t...-all-in-engine
    While we were going hands on with The Order 1886 at E3 2014, GamingBolt’s Leonid Melikov bumped into Naughty Dog’s Studio Coordinator Rodney Reece and Lead FX Artist Keith Guerrette. Although we were not able to conduct a full fledged interview with them, the duo were able to confirm a few interesting points about the trailer for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.

They confirmed to us that the Uncharted 4 trailer showcased during Sony’s E3 2014 press conference was a part of an actual level in game. Secondly, they also confirmed that the entire trailer was running in real time on the PlayStation 4 and it was all in-engine.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...f-us-at-60-fps
    We've studied the video in a little more depth and have concluded that it's definitely running at native 1080p resolution (as opposed to being rendered at a very high resolution, then scaled down - a process known as super-sampling). Small clipping anomalies, a touch of specular aliasing on Nate's shirt as he sits up, along with some shadow aliasing on his forehead also suggest a real-time render. On the face of it, we're still looking at some pretty incredible anti-aliasing here for a real-time technique on a game running at 60fps, particularly when it comes to the perfect, artefact-free rendering of Nate's hair - but the combination of the low contrast setting, slow camera movement, motion blur and depth of field would work well generally in making aliasing much less of an issue.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I just stumbled across this post from DigitalFoundry of Uncharted 3@60FPS, holy wow.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't like it. It's less cinematic at 60 FPS.

Spoiler: show
    I'm glad to see Naughty Dog isn't lying to the customers and try to be the best they can be, unlike someone else we know. Then again, perhaps barely geting 30 IS the best they can be. For that cinematic feel.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That pirate mark about 2 minutes in looks oddly familiar...

Spoiler: show

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries