Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 237
  1. #201
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,856
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Sure it does because Star Trek II-IV are basically one story arc. These movies are not. As much as you want this to be your Star Trek of old, doesn't mean they have to follow the same conventions.

  2. #202
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,616
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Has nothing to do with wanting this to be the original franchise and everything to do with Kirk's character regressing. You're going to tell me you thought him comparing himself to his dad again was at all interesting?

  3. #203
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,856
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Sounds like you want him to labor over certain things, but magically get over others like his daddy issues. I'd say something like family issues are harder to move on from. Plus, maybe it'll lead to some of that continuation you're looking for in the next film since we know Hemsworth is supposed to appear in it.

  4. #204
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,616
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    I want characters to progress and grow and for the events of the movie I'm watching to have consequences. Pretty simple stuff.

  5. #205
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,856
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Also since you brought it up, I like how you mention the Tribbles blood thing being stupid as if the way Spock came back to life in the original movies wasn't stupid too.

  6. #206
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,616
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    I said creating a cure for death was stupid. The events that brought Spock back were unique.

  7. #207
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,856
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I said creating a cure for death was stupid. The events that brought Spock back were unique.
    You say unique, I say stupid.

  8. #208
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,616
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quality post. I think this is where I exit.

  9. #209
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23,594
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Geez so much nostalgia goggles. Whatever was a good movie and was Star Trek movie

  10. #210
    Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,275
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    I saw some progression here... Spock and Kirk are getting along so they didn't seem to reuse them butting heads as a plot point like they did in 2 which did make me go "Oh boy, they get to discover their friendship again, how original". To me It felt like as a crew they grew together and bonded as you would expect from nearly 3 years in space.

    Kirks self doubt regarding if he was in Star Fleet for him or to live up to his dad, I can toss this up to I guess not recalling the first one too much but It didn't feel ... rehashed?

    Regardless of any of it, I actually thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I am one of those die hard Star Trek fans (starting with TNG, I'm too young to have grown up with TOS)... of the three movies for some reason this one felt closer to the series than the others, despite the action. It added something that made it feel a bit more like a Star Trek without giving up the action the new ones are known for, if that makes sense. I'm warming up to this new crew, and I hope they do more.

    IDK, I enjoyed it, thats the best review I got.

  11. #211
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,856
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Geez so much nostalgia goggles.
    I've really been avoiding saying those words but the fact that anything the older movies did get a free pass and the new ones sucked in every way basically indicate that theres some major nostalgia going on.

  12. #212
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,616
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    the new ones sucked in every way
    When did I say this? The first thing I said about this movie was that the cast gave a great performance, as they usually do(except for Quinto overacting at the end of Into Darkness). The stuff with Scotty and the alien girl was enjoyable, and the scenes with Spock and McCoy were not only well done but did a good job of showcasing their relationship to each other. I just wish that Kirk got the same character work and that all of these scenes were in service of a more interesting plot.

    Honestly, I just find these movies frustrating because regardless of whether they're true to the spirit of the franchise(they aren't), they are consistently close to being really good movies, but just always fall short.

  13. #213
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    43,856
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Well, in our conversation all I saw were negatives. But I'm glad there were parts you enjoyed! And I'm off to bed so good night.

  14. #214
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,055
    BG Level
    7

    Planning on seeing it next week. Bit disappointed to hear that it's not really "Trek-y" though. Simon Pegg always gave me the impression he "gets" Trek a bit better than Abrams or the guys who wrote Transformers (plus he's actually written a lot of good movies). Guess I'll know when I see it.

    BTW Star Trek II was originally meant to be Nimoy's last performance- Trek II-IV becoming a story arc was more something they decided on later.

  15. #215
    Cardiac Cat
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,604
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

    Saw it last night and very much enjoyed it. The only negative imo is that the cast is so good it really does make you wish for more drama and less action. I guess it's just so rare to have quality acting in an action movie that it throws you off.

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

  16. #216

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,039
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    I've avoided practically all spoilers except the first trailer and a very favorite actor of mine being in this. Can't wait to see it tonight.

    Also, fanboys never see how much they dislike change and will hardly ever own up to it. If you're an older "Trekkie" keep an open mind and don't shit on something that's meant to being light to the franchise as a whole.

    Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

  17. #217
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32,128
    BG Level
    10

    This movie felt like an extra long episode of Star Trek, not that that's a bad thing. The movie won't blow you away, and it probably won't win any awards sans for maybe cgi (probably not), but if you like any Star Trek at all, you'll like this.

  18. #218
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55,776
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    The movie could pull in a visual effects award solely for the initial scene of Yorktown. That was a really impressive shot, even if entirely CGI

  19. #219
    Caesar Salad
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    32,128
    BG Level
    10

    Really? It wasn't all that impressive to me. A fake space station with tall glass buildings aren't all that, at least not worthy of an award imo.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  20. #220
    Cardiac Cat
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,604
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

    Lasers. It needed more lasers. And puppies

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Warcraft: The Beginning (June 10, 2016)
    By Lbelle in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 430
    Last Post: 2016-07-16, 01:41
  2. Mythbusters set to test Gorn Cannon from Star Trek
    By Qalbert in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2016-03-07, 22:12
  3. Star Trek
    By Linliel in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 2010-01-12, 09:25
  4. Star Trek Sequel Now a Lost Cause
    By Dimmauk in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2009-04-08, 09:14
  5. Star Trek Trailer Leaked
    By Kimiko in forum Bentertainment Geekly
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 2009-03-08, 12:03