FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC/PS4/XB1)

Crystal Dynamics, a Square Enix studio, today announced its latest title in the critically acclaimed and award-winning Tomb Raider series, Rise of the Tomb Raider. The game will redefine survival action in Holiday 2015.

In her first adventure, Lara Croft was forged into a true survivor, but she glimpsed a deeper, secret world. In the next chapter of her journey, Lara must use her survival skills and wits, learn to trust new friends, and ultimately accept her destiny as the Tomb Raider.

“With the power of the new generation, and our proprietary Foundation engine, our high octane action moments will be even more epic. Multiple locations around the world will be filled with exploration spaces that are some of the most beautifully hostile places on earth and over three times larger than we could achieve before,” said Darrell Gallagher, Head of Product Development and Studios at Square Enix. “Our digital actors will rival CG quality, and after hearing the cry from our fans loud and clear, we will put the tombs back into Tomb Raider, all in our gritty survival-action style.”

Rise of the Tomb Raider builds upon the formula that made Tomb Raider a success, and features the return of Camilla Luddington as Lara Croft. Camilla will take character performance to new heights as Lara pushes herself beyond human limits and is confronted with what it means to become a hero. Once again, Crystal Dynamics is proud to have the award-winning author Rhianna Pratchett as a key member of the writing team, helping craft a story that delves into Lara’s inner turmoil and motivations in this critical second act of her journey.

Ridill
    BG Level

I thought the title was a joke when I first saw a friend mention it on twitter.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Maybe it means there will be more tombs this time? lol

Anyways first game was awesome so looking forward to this.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

first thought when I saw RISE during the conference

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I can't wait. I feel guilty for buying the first one on a steam sale. That game deserved the 60$ price

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

First was a ton of fun and I'm happy to see this one seems to focus more on Tombs and actually be a Tomb Raider game. They did a great first game and did well with character development, now we get to see what datass can do.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

apparently MS moneyhatted the shit out of this to make it exclusive, jesus
    that being said they did stress 2015, so it's probably timed

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

source?

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

MS Gamescom conference just now. Seems to be not a timed, but total exclusive: https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/499174952135057408.

Blimey, Tomb Raider is actually a total exclusive to Xbox. Not timed exclusive.
    It wouldn't make much sense tho. SE complained about the 4.5M units sold on three platforms, why would they put it on one exclusively now? Especially with the low sales of X1. Unless MS paid something like $200M.

Edit: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94...-raider-update

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,
    Darrell Gallagher
    Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Gamescon Xbox conference

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Yeah, I'm not buying into that.

Maybe Ryse of the tomb raider is the xbone exclusive version.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

with xbone sales the amount it would cost for permanent exclusivity would have to be absurd, so I'm assuming it'll be xbone in holiday 2015, elsewhere in spring to summer '16

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Phrasing really makes it sound like it's not timed. I would love to know how much MS paid for that.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

yeah multiple sources now claiming it's not timed, I'll be damned

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Well you know how stubborn I am. Still believe it is timed exclusive. They can claim it is exclusive all they want. That could be part of the deal they struck for "exclusivity".

Anyhow, I don't like the idea of MS potentially having an effect on the development of the game.

BG Level

Still strange. At the end of the conference, he mentioned the "2015 holiday" again. BTW, sales according to vgchartz:

PS3 - 2.22m
    360 - 1.71m
    PS4 - 460k
    PC - 270k
    Xbone - 170k
    Also: https://twitter.com/VG247/status/499177559318216704

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an Xbox exclusive for the holiday 2015 period.
    I guess we'll now for sure after the Sony conference.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I doubt it, a lot of timed exclusivity deals involve specifically being vague about the nature of the exclusivity. At best you're likely to get "launching first on system" and it would be kind of odd for a sony conference to include "and tomb raider... eventually... honest"

BG Level

They could just announce it to be released on PS4 in 2015/16, depending on how long the exclusive deal lasts. But if they don't mention it at all... It looks like MS were looking for something to rival the Uncharted 4 release and just straight bought out TR. SE didn't see any reason to keep it as they were disappointed by the previous sales.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

It's holiday 2015 -- there's plenty of time for them to announce an eventual PS4 release. At best, I think we might see a clip of it in a montage of upcoming PS4 games today.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast