Page 142 of 149 FirstFirst ... 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 ... LastLast
Results 2821 to 2840 of 2966

Thread: Israel vs. Gaza round 99     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #2821
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,642
    BG Level
    9

    I remember playing NA PC beta, hating the game, and just overlooking it a bit until some folks convinced me to play on their server since I'd been doing beta blind solo. Ultimately, I never felt the game was perfect and definitely full of flaws, to which I believe Abyssea finally started addressing in earnest as a game you could more actively play as opposed to waiting to play. However, we also know SE intended to sunset the game at the time for XIV, which went on to bomb in its 1.0 iteration. With that genie out of the battle, the bit of backtracking they did with Adoulin and things like Voidwatch was rough and ultimately led to me peacing out because I just could not go back to HNMLS dynamics and all the cliques. Not to say XIV really won me over, either. I did like 3 months of 2.0 launch and quit shortly after they introduced tome gear because it operated completely in contrast to the idea of leveling all jobs on a character with time gating. Even then, I only looked back come Shadowbringers since people were praising the plot and I basically became one of those expansion launch hoppers since. I hated buff rotations in XI. That being XIV's combat as a whole just forever remained a big sigh since conditional play no longer really existed with hard things just being a dance.

    Given experience with XI, XIV, and mobile games over time, I feel like I could make a bitchin' MMO that wasn't a predatory PoS if I had the means, but the best I can do is trawl the few XI 99 cap private servers that exist and hope they're more about custom content than replicating retail. Which is unfortunately a tall order since nostalgia has, imo, done way too much damage to the PS scene with 75 cap puritanism and the latent lack of content development that fostered.

  2. #2822
    Ayn
    Ayn is online now
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,302
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    XI worked for that period of my life; grad school and a new state to live in, but I also felt like I could balance it better than the average person. Still had friends I went out with. Ironically the long HNM camps gave me time to do research and complete projects between windows, so hey. Got caught up in some of the nonsense, but on the flip side, made friends I still talk to this day and have met up with a few times (not as much in recent years as I'd like). I'd only played Everquest (briefly) prior and one or two others.

    Perfect game? No. I would've been curious to see what a more refined vanilla XIV would've looked like. I want to like XIV, but not a fan of global cooldowns, and while the world is gorgeous, not too much incentive to explore it. I appreciate being able to solo more, but at some point I'd rather play an offline RPG. My biggest qualm (and one more personal to me) is that funnily, the only jobs whose rotations 'clicked' with me are tanks and one of the healers. . but I started feeling like I couldn't go into dungeons blind and would have to know them beforehand. Sort of killed the 'oh cool can experience this for the first time' during roulette finder. I am happy for the people that derive fun from it, and get it's targeting a different demographic.

    I appreciate both games for different reasons, but I really would've liked to see what the rest of the XI storyline would've had.

    Hm, guess I should boot up FFXI Braver again.

  3. #2823
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,642
    BG Level
    9

    I guess in XIV's defense they're actually looking to address some long-time issues like my tome gripe or the overworld being a nothingburger, but saying and doing are two different things so we'll see what they cook up. I don't think it'll change my overall approach to the game since I've yet to enjoy the types of endgame they produce, but a month is still usually enough to consume the story.

  4. #2824
    Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    18,836
    BG Level
    9

    I really gotta get around to finishing the story. Only thing left for me is Voracious Resurgence.

    Sent from my SM-S938U using Tapatalk

  5. #2825
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,896
    BG Level
    10

    Soloing goblin familiars with BLU was the best thing ever

  6. #2826
    Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,991
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    My biggest gripe with XIV is how endgame is just whatever raid tier is out at the moment. I just want end game content that isnt just a series of boss fights like salvage.

    Sent from my SM-S942U using Tapatalk

  7. #2827
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,130
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Dynamis was my favorite event

  8. #2828
    Weaboo of the House of Weave
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,539
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Limbus for me. I enjoyed how bizarre it was.

  9. #2829
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,116
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    i can't believe i actually fucking ran two dynamis runs a week for several years, looking back on it

  10. #2830

    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    9,275
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    i can't believe i actually fucking ran two dynamis runs a week for several years, looking back on it
    i'm tellin' ya, it's resume/CV-worthy. but the world doesn't know it is

  11. #2831
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,948
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    how many relics/mythics are required to land a VP position I wonder?

  12. #2832
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,613
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Always and forever bitter about the ranger nerfs cause a party of all rangers and one bard could absolutely destroy

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  13. #2833
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,116
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    i'm tellin' ya, it's resume/CV-worthy. but the world doesn't know it is
    omg tell me how i do this

  14. #2834
    Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,130
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Always and forever bitter about the ranger nerfs cause a party of all rangers and one bard could absolutely destroy

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    my relic bow weeps

  15. #2835
    Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    28,410
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    i'm tellin' ya, it's resume/CV-worthy. but the world doesn't know it is
    If anyone ever had this on a resume or mentioned it, I would hire on the spot.

  16. #2836
    Ayn
    Ayn is online now
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,302
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Personally, I'd hire the one who had "Finished Battletoad on NES" on their resume.

  17. #2837
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    28,613
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Personally, I'd hire the one who had "Finished Battletoad on NES" on their resume.
    What's the mount Rushmore of because fuck you, that's why difficulty on the NES

    Ghosts and Goblins
    Battletoads
    Ninja Gaiden
    Lion King?

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  18. #2838
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55,711
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    The super hard level 2 in Lion King was SNES/Genesis.

    Ghost N Goblins, Silver Surfer, Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3, Double Dragon 3 are all insanely hard.

    Hardest game ever is arguably DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou, it legitimately took people 12 years to beat the game without using any continues.

  19. #2839
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,642
    BG Level
    9

    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES was pretty notorious, especially the water level.

  20. #2840
    Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    18,836
    BG Level
    9

    My solution for the water level was always to sacrifice a turtle and then rescue them in the next level.

    Sent from my SM-S938U using Tapatalk

Page 142 of 149 FirstFirst ... 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 ... LastLast