1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 46 minutes
Page 31 of 209 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 4172
  1. #601
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,293
    BG Level
    9

    Oh believe me I could think of a million ways to slow people's progress and painfully stretch lackluster amounts of content into looking like something worth paying for.

    I'd make a great game designer.

  2. #602
    WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,065
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    P cool that guys fucked the 3.0 thread into an OF style "I know what's best for the game" thread.

    Fucking idiots.

  3. #603
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,132
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Deelo View Post
    So very disappointed with the 'new' race. "Hey, lets give Elezen eczema and call it a new race!" Are the days of originality over?
    Dang, really? I thought it was one of the 2 main selling points for me coming back in 3.0.

    Miqote meets Castanic, IMO, for anyone who's played Tera.

  4. #604
    Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,268
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    I'm pretty sure the new race is just a union of Elezen and Dragons... Ala like, most of the Shiva backstory and Ishgard stuff. So it makes sense.

    Except for the women being cute little like, mithra-dragons.

  5. #605
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,375
    BG Level
    6

    It would make sense if they're some kind of halfbreed. I remember the lore panel giving a pretty cagey answer when asked, "Are halfbreeds a thing?" right before 2.4 came out. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't wanna give a super firm "Yes!" simply because people might start connecting the dots between Saint Shiva and Bad Dragon.

  6. #606
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,389
    BG Level
    8

    I dunno, their fanfest answer made it seem like they didn't want to entertain the thought of burly Roe man caressing soft and supple lala woman.

  7. #607
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,575
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    TBH I really like weekly loot lockouts, or else endgame race would not just be skill vs skill, it would just be whoever has no life and farm gears for 20 hours straight, wins the race since gear is a huge part of what drives progression.

    Also glad there is no BMAH (black market auction house) system where highest ilvl tier gear has a chance of popping and people can bid on it (gold sink mechanic) or anything that would provide raid tier gears outside of raid. Guilds in WoW competing for world first race would go as far as transfer to their competitor's guild's server to buy gears on BMAH by bidding gold cap (999,999 gold or something like that) on a piece of raid gear so their competitors don't get it.

    Another case was, way back then in WoW, if you server transfer, your raid lockout would reset for some reason. Aaaaand surprise surprise, top guilds would pay thousands of dollars to transfer their whole guild over and over to farm gears.

  8. #608
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,640
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I'm glad half of you are not game designers because you would end up doing more damage to the game with your ideas than any good that would come of it lol.
    Seriously. Some diehard Wildstar 2004 bullshitters in here right now. Thinking of yourself and no one else is a surefire way to kill your game. So glad the devs don't listen to individuals.

  9. #609
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,643
    BG Level
    9

    The concepts of firsts or races are probably the worst part of endgame as too often the people who get them are those who either demo'd the content on beta servers or exploited bugs they find somewhere along the way. I can understand why some might like the concept, but it just shifts the hardcore needs a bit and one could likely call the "race" lost if you have to miss a week for whatever reason. What would perhaps be a more fair indicator of skill would be timing boss fights specifically and maybe even keeping recordings of the top 3 times so people can see how the leaders are doing it (alongside with making sure it's legit). Then, when it comes for the next tier or whatever, you lock in those rankings so people aren't coming in with even better gear later and demolishing the old scores.

    You can still get your e-immortality that way, but it's then more a case of 3-6 months of combined work than the first 2 being most crucial.

  10. #610
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20,640
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I dunno, their fanfest answer made it seem like they didn't want to entertain the thought of burly Roe man caressing soft and supple lala woman.
    Ironic considering that's what Tisi and I are right now.

  11. #611
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,132
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    The concepts of firsts or races are probably the worst part of endgame as too often the people who get them are those who either demo'd the content on beta servers or exploited bugs they find somewhere along the way. I can understand why some might like the concept, but it just shifts the hardcore needs a bit and one could likely call the "race" lost if you have to miss a week for whatever reason. What would perhaps be a more fair indicator of skill would be timing boss fights specifically and maybe even keeping recordings of the top 3 times so people can see how the leaders are doing it (alongside with making sure it's legit). Then, when it comes for the next tier or whatever, you lock in those rankings so people aren't coming in with even better gear later and demolishing the old scores.

    You can still get your e-immortality that way, but it's then more a case of 3-6 months of combined work than the first 2 being most crucial.
    Yeah, but TBH, once the boss dies, 90% of the playerbase care that much less about it, even if they weren't the ones who killed it. Server/world first will always be significantly more "important" than speed runs of content that has already been downed will ever be. That's what games are nowadays though.

    I used to think MMOs tended to cater more towards time invested versus strictly skill, but with the daily/weekly caps on every single piece of content out there, and how quickly content becomes obsolete or simply out-dated in games today, that isn't even accurate anymore.

    Let's be honest here - give us gear swaps and we'll make use the 200 pieces of gear that SE outdated already...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Ironic considering that's what Tisi and I are right now.

  12. #612
    Chram
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,765
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Ayo fuck gear swap. You're horrible for suggesting it.

  13. #613
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    I'd say gear swap is better than throwing everything you have in the trash every 6 months.

    I don't really even feel any sense of... accomplishment... when I get PvE items in this game. It's basically like, "Oh, OK, that's a nice drop." I honestly don't understand why anyone would actually farm for a specific item; most of the content in this game is win once and move on, as far as I'm concerned.

  14. #614
    Chram
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,667
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I'd say gear swap is better than throwing everything you have in the trash every 6 months.

    I don't really even feel any sense of... accomplishment... when I get PvE items in this game. It's basically like, "Oh, OK, that's a nice drop." I honestly don't understand why anyone would actually farm for a specific item; most of the content in this game is win once and move on, as far as I'm concerned.
    It's basically glamours, that's it. Other than that you just try and get the best gear you can out of a given 6-month span (chances are you probably won't BiS due to Coil's wonderful equipment RNG).

    I'm not a big fan of this model.

  15. #615
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,132
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Skai View Post
    Ayo fuck gear swap. You're horrible for suggesting it.
    I mean, if you're down with logging in for 3 hours a week and completely capping out until next week only to trash all your obsolete gear in 6 months, then by all means, fuck gear swaps. lol
    As for me, I like knowing shit that I farm in a game I pay for is gonna hold its value for more than 10 minutes. Gear swapping is a good way of making that possible IMO. If not gear swapping, then make gear more situational. Anything is better than a one set to rule them all system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    It's basically glamours, that's it. Other than that you just try and get the best gear you can out of a given 6-month span (chances are you probably won't BiS due to Coil's wonderful equipment RNG).

    I'm not a big fan of this model.
    Everything in every game can be set to vanity regardless of the gear system in place I guess.


    Realistically speaking, though, none of this will be applied to FFXIV, but oh well, we can dream!

  16. #616
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,643
    BG Level
    9

    Seeking gear swaps isn't the right angle, I think. Upping gear diversity a bit, yes, but this should go more hand in hand with classes gaining the ability to fill in different roles if they equip for it. DD PLD? Why not. It just needs an appropriately modified ability set and the gear to support it. Tanking Monk? Go for it, but same deal. However, swapping between these mid-instance/battle shouldn't be a thing. That's where you get the christmas tree nightmare of XI with a side of expectations essentially doubling if someone can't juggle two+ roles at once. It'll certainly give you more to grind for, but at the same time, isn't a whole lot different than just leveling another job/class entirely.

    I still want to see Materia with unique effects that modify our abilities, however. It'd fit snugly in with the above, but could also lead to some diversity within specific builds themselves. Yes, there will still be the quintessential BiS derived from the hardcore community that some will fail to emulate, but that's kind of unavoidable. Hoping for fair competition in MMOs, however, just strikes me as folly. Too many moveable and adjusting parts.

  17. #617
    Running Hell
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,232
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

    Pretty sure Yoshida mentioned in interviews regarding 3.0 that gear would start to show more "uniqueness". Basically said that they used 2.0 to get a good backbone for gear progression down and now that it's pretty much set in stone with how they are going to proceed from here on, they are free add some little bits and pieces of non-generic stats to special gear. Stuff that won't really be game breaking or must have but a nice bonus for gear to make it feel special compared to the other freebie token gear.

    Don't think he made any definitive statements regarding it though so don't hold your breath for it in the near future. Just something to keep in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Seeking gear swaps isn't the right angle, I think. Upping gear diversity a bit, yes, but this should go more hand in hand with classes gaining the ability to fill in different roles if they equip for it. DD PLD? Why not. It just needs an appropriately modified ability set and the gear to support it. Tanking Monk? Go for it, but same deal. However, swapping between these mid-instance/battle shouldn't be a thing. That's where you get the christmas tree nightmare of XI with a side of expectations essentially doubling if someone can't juggle two+ roles at once. It'll certainly give you more to grind for, but at the same time, isn't a whole lot different than just leveling another job/class entirely.

    I still want to see Materia with unique effects that modify our abilities, however. It'd fit snugly in with the above, but could also lead to some diversity within specific builds themselves. Yes, there will still be the quintessential BiS derived from the hardcore community that some will fail to emulate, but that's kind of unavoidable. Hoping for fair competition in MMOs, however, just strikes me as folly. Too many moveable and adjusting parts.
    They could do this when or if they add a "Merit" type system eventually. Honestly haven't played WoW but if I remember it had a Talent Tree type thing where you could specialize in certain aspects of your class. They could add something similar for XIV and give PLDs a DD Specialization and a Support Specialization to go with their Tanking spec. If you wanted to get really fancy you could mix and match. Like say Support tree gives PLD back it's specialized cures so you do 50/50 Tank/Support to be a Healer Tank.

  18. #618
    Chram
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,765
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    You don't need gear swap to make items last longer. There are plenty ideas that can make items last longer, but I do not believe gear swap is the solution. Frankly, given XIV's battle system, it's not gonna work well without the aid of third party program. You can probably say use macros, but we all know the problems this game have with it. There's enough shit going on in Coil for the average players to deal with than to tack on gear swap.

    Talent spec in WoW is basically Warlock is to Affliction/Demonology/Destruction as ACN is to SMN/SCH

  19. #619
    Can you spare some gil?
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,781
    BG Level
    8

    Gear swapping will have little to no use in this game, unless you want everyone to walk around with high VIT sets to eat super attacks or desperation moves it won't have any use for anything but tanks when swapping from main to off in tank swaps. Healers benefit more from MND than INT when in cleric's stance, DPS are already riding acc cap values to as near to the value they need to be at and should already be min maxing det, crit & spellspeed.

    We don't have any kind of refresh, regen or regain in the game and I'm pretty sure Yoshida went on to say in the past that he wants to avoid adding anything that would add any kind of ability potency increase in the game because it would draw attention to hold onto that single item rather upgrade to something that would be better just because your savage blade would have an extra 20 potency or whatever it may be on the weapon or armor piece.

    If anything that could hold an increased value to armor in the game would be set bonuses, which are already in the game from grand company items so applying that same kind of thing to end game gear wouldn't be difficult for them to do.

  20. #620
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,446
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    If they don't branch out of itemization I don't see this game making it very long. There are only so many ways a party of 8 can pass debuffs, stack, dodge etc. The fights are already getting monotonous. Weapon DMG, VIT, ACC have proven to be way too important, the rest is just dancing and we are running out of new moves.

Page 31 of 209 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 ... LastLast