I know there are some laws and regulations for universities that are designed to protect students, but don't offer any real recourse for the student if violated, only punishments against the university. If I'm not mistaken (and it's been a few years since I completed the training), but I think FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) is like that. For those who are unfamiliar, part of FERPA is that universities are not allowed to reveal information about students without their permission.
There was a case a few years ago where a student had been expelled or suspended or something (I want to say he was suspended for sexually assaulting another student, but it might have been something else..). When he applied for a job, they sent the disciplinary file as well. He found out about it and sued saying he had never given them permission to release that information. The case made its way through the courts and the ruling was that the university had violated FERPA, but that meant the university would be punished, not that the student would receive any compensation.
So does anyone know if Title IX is like that as well?