+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 151 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast
    Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    You see, when you explain it that way it would have been easier to say you don't want a subscription you're not going to use.

Playing the game isn't a priority for you. It has nothing to do with money.
    I even said this in my post. Only being able to play a couple of hours a night, just doesn't justify paying a sub. Also, having kids is expensive and requires alot of attention.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    FFXI Nostalgia/I miss arguing in Dragon's Aery/So now I'll argue about FFXI on BG/Are you sure it's not 2005?/Never Grow-up Thread
    Go claim some Darters and wipe your alliance, n00b.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    No, I'm not being judgmental. That was said because I really don't care how you spend your money. Not sure how I look silly when I don't regret spending a measly 12 dollars for something that brings me entertainment, regardless if its this game or any other game. I don't need to downplay a sub fee for anything if I enjoy it or not. Then you go and say how you buy 50 other games to replace that monthly fee, what point are you trying to make exactly? You don't wanna play the game, that is it like I said earlier lol. I said I don't get why people bring up the sub fee instead of just saying that, you enjoyed it once and now you don't anymore that's it. The fee has nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vivbiibasjiu View Post
    I can't imagine what kind of entertainment you could get cheaper for $12.95 a month. That's far less than the price of a single night out!
    You're both missing the point, as did others. I was a single sophomore in university when I started playing XI, had about 0 responsibilities and pretty much all the time in the world and could afford doing fuck all with it.

Fast forward to 2k15, I'm 34, I'm employed and also run my own business on the side, I own an adorable yet dastardly dachschund who never seems to run out of energy and I've been living with a SO for the past 7 years - it's not that I can't afford paying XI measly monthly fee, in fact my apartment and car are paid off, my gf is a journalist and, despite the crippling financial crisis that's been plaguing our country for the past decade, we're pretty well off for our age (I guess not having kids helps), the problem is that neither my fiancee nor anyone in our circle of friends is into videogames, thus, there's no way I could ever justify paying even .50/month to keep playing a game I have, for all intents and purposes, already bought, without looking either like a dork or like an egotistical manchild;

these are people who don't know a damn thing about gaming (let alone online gaming) beyond Angry Birds because they stopped caring when they got out of puberty, which was around the time the first Playstation went mainstream (just like your parents and all the systems being "Nintendos", does it ring a bell?) and who just wouldn't get that, as far as entertainment goes, you'd be getting a better mileage off of those 12.95 than you would spending a commensurate amount going out.

...and yes, as unreasonable as it may sound, I could probably go off and buy 5 PS4 games and it'd be less frowned upon than paying month in, month out for a MMO. Go figure uh.

Bottom line, for a lot of people playing videogames at 30+ just isn't socially acceptable anymore, so you've got to try your best to be as low-key as possible (and I'm absolutely fine with it because aside from the gaming thing we're having a terrific relationship left, right and center and my friends are total bros, so whatever).

Betcha a lot of people posting in this thread can only afford playing at night for a couple of hours when everyone else is asleep and they have to match whatever amount of money they're spending on games with a similarly expensive gifts for their kids and/or SO (that's what I had to do when I bought my last console) or else they'll be called out on it.

Furthermore, the sheer fact that I'm paying for a service would then prompt me to get the most out of it (which means playing way more than I'm comfortable with) or else I'd feel like I'm wasting money, and, given the amount of RL commitments my day is comprised of, I don't think I could get away with that either. Catch my drift?

That's why free private servers or F2P would be perfect and I'd expect an adult to at least see where we're coming from instead of going "hurrdurr you cheapskates".

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

As far as I know there are private servers that are stable enough. "Constant bugs and crashes" seems like another excuse on a growing list.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    As far as I know there are private servers that are stable enough. "Constant bugs and crashes" seems like another excuse on a growing list.
    I've been playing on a private server that hasn't had downtime in like 5-6 months, pretty much ever since they switched to a multi-virtual server structure (each zone got its own virtual server) coupled up with like 5 physical machines or something, if a zone goes down (and it's a fairly rare occurrence with only like 150-200 people playing at peak hours) it just reboots itself up on its own right away.

Dunno about the other servers though.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

And posts like this continue showing your ignorance because it's apparent you do not have the experience playing on a private server. I have played on around 8 private servers. The most prominent was Sinister Skies prior to some douche ruining it for everyone. Another I played on (ifrit fun server) fully crashed twice resetting data. A few others couldn't stay up for more than a few hours at a time. I tried FFXI FREE (I think that's what it was called?), but it was too hardcore for my liking. It was stable and had over 100 people on at all times. Nasomi, too old school for my liking, but definitely stable. Many many other private servers from dspt are very unstable as other members of the private server community would report their findings.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    And posts like this continue showing your ignorance because it's apparent you do not have the experience playing on a private server. I have played on around 8 private servers. The most prominent was Sinister Skies prior to some douche ruining it for everyone. Another I played on (ifrit fun server) fully crashed twice resetting data. A few others couldn't stay up for more than a few hours at a time. I tried FFXI FREE (I think that's what it was called?), but it was too hardcore for my liking. It was stable and had over 100 people on at all times. Nasomi, too old school for my liking, but definitely stable. Many many other private servers from dspt are very unstable as other members of the private server community would report their findings.
    It's very true. Trying to find a stable server that suits your play time and style isn't easy.

I'm in the same boat here. I wouldn't mind being able to play, but I'd rather spend my money and time elsewhere. I can't justify paying the sub fee to be able to play maybe 8 hours a week. Private servers are fun for what they are, but many of them make items too accessible; others make everything exactly like retail which is too much for me.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Eh, regularly playing 8 hours a week, fee is worth it. Where i think it starts to fall off is paying just to maintain the possibility of logging on.

For people who haven't played since 99 cap or before though, there's so much to do/catch up on that getting your money's worth is less of a concern than winding up playing too much.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Eh, regularly playing 8 hours a week, fee is worth it. Where i think it starts to fall off is paying just to maintain the possibility of logging on.

For people who haven't played since 99 cap or before though, there's so much to do/catch up on that getting your money's worth is less of a concern than winding up playing too much.
    8 hours is generous. That'd be if I don't hear from any friends for the whole weekend plus can get the fiancee to be distracted with something else.

EDIT: Is anyone else still playing, Isi?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Not that I have seen in quite a while, no. Several were still on XIV when I played that last during the free week, but nobody even checked in during free FFXI time.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Not that I have seen in quite a while, no. Several were still on XIV when I played that last during the free week, but nobody even checked in during free FFXI time.
    Bah I couldn't get on for the free week of XIV. I checked the forums a while back and saw only you posting while running around with Cataid.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post
    You're both missing the point, as did others. I was a single sophomore in university when I started playing XI, had about 0 responsibilities and pretty much all the time in the world and could afford doing fuck all with it.

Fast forward to 2k15, I'm 34, I'm employed and also run my own business on the side, I own an adorable yet dastardly dachschund who never seems to run out of energy and I've been living with a SO for the past 7 years - it's not that I can't afford paying XI measly monthly fee, in fact my apartment and car are paid off, my gf is a journalist and, despite the crippling financial crisis that's been plaguing our country for the past decade, we're pretty well off for our age (I guess not having kids helps), the problem is that neither my fiancee nor anyone in our circle of friends is into videogames, thus, there's no way I could ever justify paying even .50/month to keep playing a game I have, for all intents and purposes, already bought, without looking either like a dork or like an egotistical manchild;

these are people who don't know a damn thing about gaming (let alone online gaming) beyond Angry Birds because they stopped caring when they got out of puberty, which was around the time the first Playstation went mainstream (just like your parents and all the systems being "Nintendos", does it ring a bell?) and who just wouldn't get that, as far as entertainment goes, you'd be getting a better mileage off of those 12.95 than you would spending a commensurate amount going out.

...and yes, as unreasonable as it may sound, I could probably go off and buy 5 PS4 games and it'd be less frowned upon than paying month in, month out for a MMO. Go figure uh.

Bottom line, for a lot of people playing videogames at 30+ just isn't socially acceptable anymore, so you've got to try your best to be as low-key as possible (and I'm absolutely fine with it because aside from the gaming thing we're having a terrific relationship left, right and center and my friends are total bros, so whatever).

Betcha a lot of people posting in this thread can only afford playing at night for a couple of hours when everyone else is asleep and they have to match whatever amount of money they're spending on games with a similarly expensive gifts for their kids and/or SO (that's what I had to do when I bought my last console) or else they'll be called out on it.

Furthermore, the sheer fact that I'm paying for a service would then prompt me to get the most out of it (which means playing way more than I'm comfortable with) or else I'd feel like I'm wasting money, and, given the amount of RL commitments my day is comprised of, I don't think I could get away with that either. Catch my drift?

That's why free private servers or F2P would be perfect and I'd expect an adult to at least see where we're coming from instead of going "hurrdurr you cheapskates".
    I'm an adult, and I feel you are being a cheap-skate.
    You just ranted about a subscription fee, even a .50/mo. fee, but stated your financial well-being. You called your significant other your girlfriend, then called her your fiancee. Not being a jerk, just hard to follow you.

If you enjoy something... Even two nights out of the month, $10/mo. is much more justifiable than buying beer every night/week (not saying you do, just an example of what some people enjoy enough to spend money on). Out of everything you are saying, you are just confirming that you do not enjoy the game enough to pay-2-play and you would rather be spending your time and energy elsewhere.

That being said -- I miss XI. I can agree I do not have the time for the exhausting grind of the game... but I do miss the times when I did.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post

At your age you're still worried about what other people think about you and your hobbies? Looks like you still have a lot of maturing to do

Quote Originally Posted by vivbiibasjiu View Post
    At your age you're still worried about what other people think about you and your hobbies? Looks like you still have a lot of maturing to do
    Had you asked me 10 years ago I would've given you the exact same reply (mostly because back then I was still young, selfish and foolish, so it was all about me, me, me, me, which, don't get me wrong, is exactly what you need around that age, since you're still developing your identity and career and trying to find your place in society), which leads me to think that you might be younger than me and possibly in a completely different phase of your life. Fair enough.

The last 10 years however taught me that life together (and long-time relationships to an extent) are all about compromises and coming off as uncompromising about your "hobbies" is a good way to disrupt the balance within the couple and turn people away from you. Circumstances, unfortunately, do matter. Make of it what you will.

Anyway, I'm not here to give relationship advices so let's just chalk it up to my priorities shifting from entertainment/having fun at all costs/pursuing my hobbies to caring about the ones I love first and foremost, that's what I feed off of nowadays, sue me (that being said I still get to play videogames a lot so it's not like I've given them up completely either, I just have less time to play and I don't spend as much money as I used to on them anymore, big deal, for a lot of people this is a side effect of growing up).

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Nah that's fine. I'll take the guy who posted right above you about it never going down. And the handful of people who have no issue playing on private servers I talk to. I have more reason to believe them than 'QQ 12.95 and my free option isn't viable'.

Do whatcha want, but the game going free to play ruin it for good. Just because you don't like it enough to pay for it.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Some might argue that raising the level cap "ruined it for good," or allowing NA players "ruined it for good." Shit is subjective, man.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Nah that's fine. I'll take the guy who posted right above you about it never going down. And the handful of people who have no issue playing on private servers I talk to. I have more reason to believe them than 'QQ 12.95 and my free option isn't viable'.

Do whatcha want, but the game going free to play ruin it for good. Just because you don't like it enough to pay for it.
    Thanks for conveniently skipping over the portion of my post stating Nasomi is stable. And please oh please please point out where anyone is QQ 12.95? I'll save you some time, you can't, because we all can afford it. We choose not to pay it. But keep being the internet tryhard you are. Lord knows you probably have nothing else going on.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thanks for conveniently skipping over the portion of my post stating Nasomi is stable. And please oh please please point out where anyone is QQ 12.95? I'll save you some time, you can't, because we all can afford it. We choose not to pay it. But keep being the internet tryhard you are. Lord knows you probably have nothing else going on.
    I have plenty else going on. Think you lobbed ignorant at me before, but that's fine.

Skipped it because you had shot it down as buggy and crashes when it was suggested. Why should I care you went back to go 'oh but this is stable'?

People have continuously said it's not worth paying for because this or that in the thread. How can I not find it? Better spent on the movies, beer, don't play it long enough to merit it, etc. That's essentially QQ 12.95. We see it differently and that's fine.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Ryan gets everything perfectly backwards.

Game goes f2p -> people (like me) are willing to keep it installed and help out if a friend pings us -> quality of game life is generally improved and people can get more things done

Even if it does make the game less profitable and accelerate its demise, Xbox and PS2 only have about a year left anyway. I'd bet PC follows them sooner than you might think.

New Merits
    BG Level

I know private servers are all over, but this is the best one I've found:

http://www.quetzrebirth.enjin.com/

Decently time-friendly, leveling is easy, leveling incentives are cool, AH prices/items are cool. The devs have really good ideas. Most of the time-sinks are gone (all jobs unlocked at start, gain gil as you level, get all AF at 50, etc). 75 Cap, we do all the old fun stuff, sky/dyna etc.